Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There are currently 692 replies in the thread that is asking for paid DLCs. You'd think that would amount for something if they did a DLC adding a few things. It's not like they would work on it for a year.

Covenant

Savant
Shouldn't take a genius to figure out: there are not enough people willing to "throw money" at them. Autism is expecting them to keep working on the game when it doesn't cover the opportunity cost.

How do they know there aren't, though? Hell, it should be easy enough to find out: Throw up a Kickstarter (yes, groan, I know) for an expansion with a fairly high goal and see if it gets funded. Even if it failed, at least then they would have something to point to when people are asking why the game feels so abandoned.

Right now the message they're sending out is that they either don't want my money or that they're so confident that they don't feel they need to make the most of Battle Brothers because their next game will be more popular, receive greater critical acclaim, and make much more money. If that's it, I admire their confidence but I certainly don't share it.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
They probably think that they reached the limits of game's design.
Lets say that they would like to add defensible obstacles; this would require major overhaul for the game (for visuals, rules applied to units and level generation) for uncertain returns for investment.

Perhaps they're willing to make BB2 (or someone would be inspired to make something that would advance these kinds of games) at some point in the future.
I wouldn't mind if they took some inspiration from Space Rangers, if someone would make such game. Bit more varied use of CYOA segments would be nice too.

Last edited:

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I'm pretty sure at the end of EA they were sick of development, or each other or something similar. (Wich makes me not too optimistic about their 'next game'...).

The last couple of month before release felt lacklustre - look at what they did with the 'Veteran Hall' for example: basically the same option (XP gain increase) 3 times, nothing else. They could have done so much more with it (allowing respec of a perk for a lot of gold, buying levels directly - up to a point, lvl 6 maybe - to ease the grind a bit, etc.). Or make only one more terrain when you attack a building, so it feels a bit different. Maybe they killed the artist?

As for DLC - I think many people would buy one, even if it's only cosmetical, but I don't know if it would be profitable.

Whiskeyjack

Learned
It just bugs me because this was *almost* a great game. A bit more on the merc management side, a bit more in the diversity of encounters/enemies/questing, and this becomes a classic.

Instead it's a game worth one playthrough and a shrug.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
What baffling me is completely lack of any mod support at any level.
In this age when mod support or ability to mod game prove themselves to be a money maker and community maker.
How it wasn't planned from start to make game mod friendly or at last with possibility to meddle with files is beyond me .
I hardly can see any disadvantage that come with it. Unless you want milk DLC but even then(and we can see that it not what exactly happening).

Whole game is a prime example of lack of single vision, stubbornness in standing with flawed designs(probably goes with engine limitation). Devs patched things to fix stuff and then patched patches and again(that loop perfectly explain why whole game economy is badly done) and bloat of unnecessary additions.
For example whole fully randomly generated but at same time non permanent design. Lack of camp/fort terrain in generator could be easily fixed by just making some camp/fort battles maps by hand and use them when situation need it(like few variations of forest camp - named villages9limited amount) could have their own battle maps). Etc.
I could elaborate more but dunno if anyone interested in hearing me ranting over again and again.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
My recollection was that they were ready to move past the project to move on from engine and system scope limitations.

They felt their time would be better served in creating the next unencumbered than ficking with what they had. They were frustrated with the amount of fuckery required to get BB to where it was and did not want to regret sunk efforts.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I'm pretty sure at the end of EA they were sick of development, or each other or something similar. (Wich makes me not too optimistic about their 'next game'...)

I can assure you this is not the case :salute:
Glad to hear that!:salute:

Should you speak to the guys again, please ask them why they didn't do more with the 'Veteran Hall' - they used basically the same option 3 times and it makes you think a placeholder made it into the final game. (It's the major example I can come up with why the release felt rushed in the end.)

Tigranes

Arcane
I too would instabuy any new BB content, but perhaps they did the maths and thought (rightly or wrongly) that a few hundred die-hard fans isn't going to keep their families fed for the duration.

It's a weird situation, though, because if they announced a whole new game, I would probably wait and see what it's about, instead of D1P'ing, although I loved BB and thought it was huge bang for the buck.

Fargus

Arcane
I still hope they would reconcider and at least make an expansion in the future... Or make it open source, i don't know. Hate to see all this potential being wasted like that and the game being forgotten.

:negative:

btw Sarissofoi why were you banned on BB steam forum?

Last edited:

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
(It's the major example I can come up with why the release felt rushed in the end.)

Its the minor example actually but easiest to spot.
To be honest the whole final release was such a letdown because many things that was seen as placeholder(and tolerated) actually wasn't.

btw Sarissofoi why were you banned on BB steam forum?

I kid you not but for
being the ally of truth and justice, making fun of Hitler(and Sser) and defending Jews.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
Biggest letdown is they didn't open the game up for mods, under the flimsy excuse of "the code is ugly we're ashamed of it".

BB is like the perfect canvas for a (autistic) modder to play with.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
It's been quite some time since they announced to be working on something new. Any further news on that front? The complete silence is a bit worrying.

Hey yo there. I keep "pestering" them in twitter. Last time , some days ago, they said something in the line of "very soon there will be news".
My guess is that we'll get the game 2-3 months after its announcement, but it's a complete guess

Last edited:

Old Hans

Arcane
There is also this, which seems to be an almost carbon copy BB style wise. We'll see how it'll turn out, I invited the devs over to the prestigious magazine that is codex.

that looks pretty cool
tumblr_n1qijwEiHK1qaqmkyo1_400.gif

Zanzoken

Arcane
It really was a major oversight not to include mod support for Battle Bros, and I'd be willing to bet good money that if the devs had it to do over again, they would've planned for that from day one.

I will be shocked if it's not included as a feature in their next game.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Fuck yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah. (I kinda knew something similar might happen since the community made it clear that they want more BB and are ready to spend money for it!)

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
It might just be another 'Lindwurm' type DLC - with Yetis this time. Would still be nice of course, but not really a game changer.

Let's wait and see.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom