Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
No, it isn't, lol. Mass Effect and Dragon Age have more substantive reactivity than that, let alone things like Fallout and AoD.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Dragon Age and Mass Effect had good reactivity. A host of other issues, but reactivity was never the problem.

I've replayed Fallout 1, Fallout 2, and New Vegas several times. They don't have anymore reactivity than this game. AoD does, but it's only 10 hours long and made on a tiny percentage of Deadfire's budget.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
the antagonist in the final battle can take on 9 different-coloured t-shirts very impressive

and then you kill him with select all left click anyway

Lacrymas

Arcane
AoD does, but it's only 10 hours long and made on a tiny percentage of Deadfire's budget.
Yes, a game with a fraction of the budget blows DF out of the water with pretty much everything except graphics. Very nice. DA and ME don't have good reactivity, that's inane.

Parabalus

Arcane
AoD does, but it's only 10 hours long and made on a tiny percentage of Deadfire's budget.
Yes, a game with a fraction of the budget blows DF out of the water with pretty much everything except graphics. Very nice. DA and ME don't have good reactivity, that's inane.

Honestly, AoD is quite pretty. The character models+gear are almost better than in Deadfire, and the combat animations are several levels above. AoD is lacking in the environment/level graphics, where Deadfire shines brightest though.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I'd compare it more to Tyranny. But there even same type redshirt/purpleshirt was a bit more engaging imo.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I meant more substantive than the Pim example, not in general for all games ever.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Maybe make less but better, how about that type of design

I thought it was cool meeting your rival faction leader and having a showdown. It reminded me of New Vegas.

Speaking of factions, the game files show the DLC adds three new factions. The Seeker faction, the Slayer faction, and the Survivor faction.

frajaq

Erudite
Honestly, AoD is quite pretty. The character models+gear are almost better than in Deadfire

Dude are you for real?

Wn8CHOK.png
vs.
bhpoESl.png

Soulless vs Soul

Prime Junta

Dragon Age: Origins has excellent reactivity. Among the best in major RPGs.

I still didn't like it. But I can't fault the reactivity.

RPG Codex: the forum for people who hate cRPGs

I can't comment on Deadfire's reactivity yet, since I still haven't even committed to a faction. I have been impressed by the variety of ways to approach some of the quests though (Deadlight, Arkemyr, the Vailian vendetta).

Overall I'm still liking this. It's in fact easier to list the things I dislike than the things I like because there are less of them:
  • Writing, which isn't awful by general vidya standards but is highly disappointing by Obsidian standards. Especially the companion writing. Especially especially the romantic companion writing, which is kinda dull at best, terrifyingly cringy most of the time. And also lots of incredibly awkward stuff about the whole main narrative, as well as some bloopers (copper doesn't rust ffs).
  • Multiclassing. It's just stupidly broken. Especially fighter/any caster, but also a ton of others. It pulls the rug from under Josh's "everything feasible" thing as the differences between class combos are so big; if he wants the dumbest combos to be feasible that means the most powerful ones are utter yawns. I don't see a way to make it work without making it not-fun, i.e. nerfing the bejeesus out of it completely. It was just a bad idea and they shouldn't have done it.
  • Naval combat, which is just kind of meh.
  • Music which is also just kind of meh.
But p much everything else is fun: worldbuilding, combat, exploration, city quests, dungeon crawls, items, monsters, visuals, the sheer scope and variety of shit to do. Extra credit for the setting: they avoided a ton of pitfalls here. It would've been really easy to fall into your basic good-guys-bad-guys narrative here, with rapacious evil colonists and saintly Na'vi-style natives. Instead it feels remarkably plausible and alive, with dickheads and decent people all around, and a system that's chewing everybody up. It's a shame it flopped as it's a much better game overall than P1.

Which is funny since the relationship system ended up being hot garbage.

The only thing wrong with the relationship system is the romance. Otherwise it's p gud really

Deleted member 7219

Dragon Age: Origins has excellent reactivity. Among the best in major RPGs.

I still didn't like it. But I can't fault the reactivity.

RPG Codex: the forum for people who hate cRPGs

I can't comment on Deadfire's reactivity yet, since I still haven't even committed to a faction. I have been impressed by the variety of ways to approach some of the quests though (Deadlight, Arkemyr, the Vailian vendetta).

Overall I'm still liking this. It's in fact easier to list the things I dislike than the things I like because there are less of them:
  • Writing, which isn't awful by general vidya standards but is highly disappointing by Obsidian standards. Especially the companion writing. Especially especially the romantic companion writing, which is kinda dull at best, terrifyingly cringy most of the time. And also lots of incredibly awkward stuff about the whole main narrative, as well as some bloopers (copper doesn't rust ffs).
  • Multiclassing. It's just stupidly broken. Especially fighter/any caster, but also a ton of others. It pulls the rug from under Josh's "everything feasible" thing as the differences between class combos are so big; if he wants the dumbest combos to be feasible that means the most powerful ones are utter yawns. I don't see a way to make it work without making it not-fun, i.e. nerfing the bejeesus out of it completely. It was just a bad idea and they shouldn't have done it.
  • Naval combat, which is just kind of meh.
  • Music which is also just kind of meh.
But p much everything else is fun: worldbuilding, combat, exploration, city quests, dungeon crawls, items, monsters, visuals, the sheer scope and variety of shit to do. Extra credit for the setting: they avoided a ton of pitfalls here. It would've been really easy to fall into your basic good-guys-bad-guys narrative here, with rapacious evil colonists and saintly Na'vi-style natives. Instead it feels remarkably plausible and alive, with dickheads and decent people all around, and a system that's chewing everybody up. It's a shame it flopped as it's a much better game overall than P1.

The only thing wrong with the relationship system is the romance. Otherwise it's p gud really

I liked the music.

Pillars 1 had more memorable tracks though.

Prime Junta

I liked the music.

The sea shanties are good, as are some of the tavern songs (if you haven't heard the better versions these are based on). The music composed for the game itself is just utterly forgettable and a complete waste of a good orchestra. It's basically just notes one after the other in some key, with the occasional <<<DONNNGGGGGG!!!!>> for good measure.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I kinda lumped all the DAs together, but yeah, DA:O has surprising amount of reactivity. Now that I think about it, DA2 also has a lot of reactivity, but it's mostly to do with the Rivalry system and whether or not you completed companion quests, so most people haven't seen it.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
I greatly prefer the music over the first game. It's very smooth and melancholic, especially in Neketaka.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
De facto what you are saying/hearing is true,still the feeling of the game is different when you play. Most quests are mainly a fetch quests variants that never feel satisfying for wasting 40 minutes of your life running around. Areas also are part of the problem,wasting 20 minutes running around and your reward is a small room with 4 idiots trying to kill you,thus getting a 30 second battle and some item that you will sell.
You know I don't think breaking something down to the most basic level possible is a smart move. If you're saying 'Quests in this game are bad because they require that you move from point a to b and interact with thing x' that's something that's applicable to any game that has any sort of mission or quest structure whatsoever. The issue lies in the execution I'd say. The best example would be gaining entrance to Heritage Hill in PoE - You go to the guard, the guard tells you that you need to speak to the captain to gain entry. You have the option to either bribe the guard, threaten via an attribute check or do as you're told. If you don't want to spend money or aren't playing an aggressive character you go to the guard captain who simply tells you 'lol k but don't expect any help if the not-zombies eat you'.

Asking the guard captain is a reasonable endeavour because the guard shouldn't let any common rabble into a quarantined area. The four loading screens you have to sit through and the guard captain deciding to let any common rabble into a quarantined area is what makes the whole thing a farce and a boring chore to boot. It's also the same reason why buildings in general are insufferable places of torture that will drive you insane sooner or later. Rather than loading a bigger map that has all the floors connected via teleports some buildings have three separate maps. One for the ground floor, one for the upper floor and one for the cellar. Which means that if you're fully exploring that building you have to sit through SIX fucking loading screens. Obsidian had an utter disregard for the self-imposed technical limitations that were simply a consequence of how they built the damn game.
I do agree with you,but you can just pass the dialogue check and go kill zombies,while in deadfire you have to from A to B to C to D and then back to A that will give you the next similar quest. Also the exploration is boring,you sail around the sea,walk around the island and find a 5 minute dungeon. The game does lack solid content,i don't know if it is even the half of PoE quantity wise. It mask it self with long traversing distances and a lot loading screens. For example the bounty quests,they are annoying until you find that you can just ignore then until you have cleaned the whole world map. And unlike PoE they don't reward you with interesting battle,most of them are just the same ship battle with a few more extra enemy.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
No seriously, what more do you expect? There are *9 different antagonists for the final battle. That's above and beyond what most RPGs would of done.

It required hard work to draw a new portrait, record additional lines of dialogue, and write the scripting to make the event occur. Yet you whine anyways?
Yeah,and what happens when you kill all 9 of them??? Let me spoil it for you,someone gets resurrected. Such an amazing reactivity,right? Better bring someone that got disintegrated by my mace than to not have pointless battle at the end.

Honestly did they found you in a cardboard box in front of Obsidian at your 6th birthday?

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane

The only two results from the relationship system I had were

• everyone tried to bone me the second they joined the party and the initial convo was done
  • Aloth was at -2 while everyone else was at +2
Didn't see much effect in gameplay sadly. It wasn't even like MotB or Kotor2 where I kept the system in mind while doing stuff to receive goodies, it just felt pointless.

Germany neither has a lot of Muslims nor is it a Third World country. It has the strongest economy in Europe in fact, at least as far as I know.

You should visit Politics forum for your dose of doomsday prophesying, so you fit into DE better.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Naval combat, which is just kind of meh.

Of all things, this is the one that most impresses me negatively. Not only the naval combat is bad: everything related to the ship is bad (especially the combat, of course).

In PoE1 the stronghold was the weak point. In PoE2 they screwed up the SAME THING! Seriously, I wonder how the hell the naval combat and the mechanics of the ship were approved and someone said "man, this is pretty good, let's release". At some point someone APPROVED this. HOW?????????

Well, the naval combat is meh. It works. Not good but not atrocious. But how could they approve the romances, that is a mystery.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom