Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Naraya

Arcane
It's also sad that some games might never be released because of unresolved or complicated copyright issues. Case in point: Dune 2. :(

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's also sad that some games might never be released because of unresolved or complicated copyright issues. Case in point: Dune 2. :(

Those are the ones you pirate with zero remorse whatsoever. If anyone thinks I'm never playing Westwood's Blade Runner again because of corporate bullshit they're living in retardo land.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Those are the ones you pirate with zero remorse whatsoever. If anyone thinks I'm never playing Westwood's Blade Runner again because of corporate bullshit they're living in retardo land.

Does it actually run well on modern systems?
There are pages dedicated to making old games playable.
Check CollectionChamber blogspot page, they should have one.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

I agree on principle, but if you can take anything away from this documentary it's that quite a few publishers GOG contacted simply could not be bothered or were apprehensive of GOG as a company considering they were just starting out. I imagine few would refuse them these days unless there's some DRM shenanigans going on or it really is ownership dispute on some level. If GOG will do the actual legwork there's absolutely no reason not to have your game there and earn something through that avenue.

Naraya

Arcane
Last edited by a moderator:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I agree on principle, but if you can take anything away from this documentary it's that quite a few publishers GOG contacted simply could not be bothered or were apprehensive of GOG as a company considering they were just starting out. I imagine few would refuse them these days unless there's some DRM shenanigans going on or it really is ownership dispute on some level. If GOG will do the actual legwork there's absolutely no reason not to have your game there and earn something through that avenue.

Games like Blade Runner require so many different license holders and such to get together it's never gonna happen. There are legit games that will be almost impossible for GOG (or anyone else) to ever sell again because of this. There are even newer games like Alan Wake that get fucked by licensing and aren't sold legit anymore. True some of it could probably be worked out if companies were willing to pay, but A) none of them are gonna pay without sight of a return, and B) sometimes it's so complicated it's not worth bothering with for them.

Hence, like with DRM that'll likely never be patched out, we rely on the community to preserve games.

Modron

Arcane

Does it actually run well on modern systems?
See:
There is (supposedly) working patch for Blade Runner to make it run in modern computers:
https://www.replaying.de/files/blade-runner-patch-windows-vista-7-8-x64/

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yeah it's easy to use, especially now that Windows 10 handles iso files just like a zip folder. I actually have Blade Runner installed on my PC right now. Only quirk is you have to have the appropriate iso file open when you launch the game.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's ready:

A very informative video, but the best part is 4, where they explain the process of getting the games to run on modern systems.

On the subject of "scanning and digitizing manuals" they just say: "We let the new guy handle it."

Uh-huh.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
GOG is now officially waifu, Japanese sale: https://af.gog.com/promo/20180725_japanese_midweek?as=1649904300

f5bd122fa7ca9955d75d962e920ae7d8784b6f57bd6f5085b0f43afcfebbbe26.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
What they need to do now is get in contact with abnaxus so he can curate some PC98 RPGs for them, secure those rights and start translating. I wonder if there's a market for these games among RPG fans who didn't even know they wanted something similar or that they existed in the first place.

2PDQenk.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom