Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
"Filename": "/conversations/lax01_00_arena_island/lax01_00_cv_arena_master_battle_royale.conversationbundle"
"Filename": "/conversations/lax01_00_arena_island/lax01_00_si_battle_royale.conversationbundle"

battle royale mode confirmed

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Seeing as companions are so barebones, they should've added more, I'm actually kinda surprised Vatnir won't be a full-fledged companion. I thought they'd add a companion with each DLC. Or add more sidekicks, they are even less fleshed out than BG1 companions, so that shouldn't be a problem. Having to choose between 25-30 sidekicks with different quips and combat barks would be cool, they'll finally be able to catch up to a 20-year-old game, at least in this.
They had a word budget that they blew with the content that's in there already.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
The whole concept of sidekicks is just bonkers.

Seeing as companions are so barebones, they should've added more, I'm actually kinda surprised Vatnir won't be a full-fledged companion. I thought they'd add a companion with each DLC. Or add more sidekicks, they are even less fleshed out than BG1 companions, so that shouldn't be a problem. Having to choose between 25-30 sidekicks with different quips and combat barks would be cool, they'll finally be able to catch up to a 20-year-old game, at least in this.

What the fuck happened with your avatar.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
A man appears and opens his mouth and begins using his tongue to rhythmically undulate phonetic vibrations from within his cavernous mouth to produce sound. "Guys we have a word budget, we better not waste it!".

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Sidekicks are just not nu-Bioware companions. I absolutely adore the companion design in BG1 and think devs should feel more free to make them like that. This trend of long-winded companions is cancer. If you have something to say, like KotOR2 or MotB, then sure, but otherwise it's a mistake. A mistake I really don't want to read.

I changed my avatar to something more abstract to better represent my current attitude and thoughts on games. They do say eyes are a window to the soul. I wanted to do it for a while, but couldn't think of a suitable replacement.

Quillon

Arcane
I changed my avatar to something more abstract to better represent my current attitude and thoughts on games. They do say eyes are a window to the soul. I wanted to do it for a while, but couldn't think of a suitable replacement.

Change it back pls. The other one has been perfectly representing your attitude and thoughts on games and much more.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Regarding Gods. Game would be fine if it didn't try to cram in so many shit, if both PoE1 and PoE2 was about Gods being arbitrary assholes made of mass AI from a machine, it could actually be fun. Basically take inspiration from Mesapotamian/Greek/Egyptian mythology and run with it. They just cram in so much in it simultaneously both times so everything feels unsatisfying and incomplete.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
If Eora was more like Dark Sun and mortals had to deal with the extreme whims of the gods, then yeah, that would've been cool.

Payd Shell

Arcane
The mistake was to set up the gods in a way that would make every fedora tipping neckbeard proud. The gods being artificial creations that exceeded the scope and control of their creators is a nice idea but all it amounts to is that they're not really gods.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
What I find insulting about the sidekicks is how much they designed for these irrelevant characters

Modwyr has a dialog tree, interjections, combat shouts, and even a personal quest. The talking sword is more of a companion than the sidekicks.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Guys do i need to remind you about that "great improvement" called Voice Acting? Sidekicks were designed to be full companions but they ran out of money and decided to make them shitty version of companions. After all it would be weird for the whole game to voice acted but to have 4-5 guys just to be text. Another thing to consider is that the game sold poorly and they won't keep the quality very high after the first dlc sells poorly.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
lol i just remembered back in the BETA thread for poe2 I started slipping pics of Black Geyser in a couple of comments to see if anyone noticed and no one ever did

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
lol i just remembered back in the BETA thread for poe2 I started slipping pics of Black Geyser in a couple of comments to see if anyone noticed and no one ever did
Maybe they noticed and didn't care or just assumed you were having one of your episodes. :M

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Roguey whit what do you disagree ?
We were told about sidekicks during the Fig campaign, long before the full voice-over decision had been made. They said they wanted to have more people to recruit but couldn't afford to include them within the relationship system.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
What I find insulting about the sidekicks is how much they designed for these irrelevant characters

Modwyr has a dialog tree, interjections, combat shouts, and even a personal quest. The talking sword is more of a companion than the sidekicks.

There are adults that like this...

:backawayslowly:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Roguey whit what do you disagree ?
We were told about sidekicks during the Fig campaign, long before the full voice-over decision had been made. They said they wanted to have more people to recruit but couldn't afford to include them within the relationship system.
That sounds like a poor excuse to me. I honestly can't believe that the games was designed that small and lacking is so many areas. Do you actually know when they decided to add VA? For all we know it could have been from the beginning and thus effecting the companions.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I honestly can't believe that the games was designed that small and lacking is so many areas.

Judging by completion times, it's no smaller than any other RPG.

Do you actually know when they decided to add VA? For all we know it could have been from the beginning and thus effecting the companions.

Josh made it clear it was an owner level decision that happened mid-development.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I honestly can't believe that the games was designed that small and lacking is so many areas.

Judging by completion times, it's no smaller than any other RPG.

Do you actually know when they decided to add VA? For all we know it could have been from the beginning and thus effecting the companions.

Josh made it clear it was an owner level decision that happened mid-development.
Ohh come on mate,you have played enough games to know that completion times and actual content quantity are very different things. Most of that time is running around and loading screens. Did you actually play/finis the game or are you waiting for the final version?

Delterius

Arcane
that guy should be de-ownered
But what would happen if the company is left with no owners? Will it become a communal corporation ruled by the people for the good of the people?
no

obsidian's endgame is actually

A1vbWKZt39L._RI_.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Most of that time is running around and loading screens.
The same is true for many other RPGs as well.

I've heard people complain about Deadfire's areas being too small (not enough walkin' for em) and heard mixed things about load times compared to its predecessor, so I doubt either of those are a huge factor.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Most of that time is running around and loading screens.
The same is true for many other RPGs as well.

I've heard people complain about Deadfire's areas being too small (not enough walkin' for em) and heard mixed things about load times compared to its predecessor, so I doubt either of those are a huge factor.
De facto what you are saying/hearing is true,still the feeling of the game is different when you play. Most quests are mainly a fetch quests variants that never feel satisfying for wasting 40 minutes of your life running around. Areas also are part of the problem,wasting 20 minutes running around and your reward is a small room with 4 idiots trying to kill you,thus getting a 30 second battle and some item that you will sell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom