Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I need a suggestion, and current rpg quality banter

deama

Prophet
I had a lot of fun with Kingdomcumderance.

Maybe fable? I enjoyed it for the wrong reasons.:oops:

I enjoyed the story in Dragon age 2.

I had fun with Alpha Protocol.

Spellforce 3 has pretty good writing/story from my experience and other people that played it on this forum. Though I didn't like the gameplay that much.

Gregz

Arcane
I am going to recommend the following:
  • Temple of Elemental Evil w/ Co8 and Temple+ mods
  • Dragon Quest VIII
  • Stranger of Sword City
  • Wizardry 8
  • Knights of the Chalice

Last edited:

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Ignore all the bullshit "rpg rennaisance" recommendations from fanbois, they are all shit. I don't recall a single kickstarter game that i trully liked, most are shitty clones of 20-25 year old games but without the heart and soul of the originals. Some like Shadowrun or (not even an RPG) Banner's Saga are glorified mobile phone games...

Yeah i get it, codexers are thirsty for anything remotely resembling an RPG these days, but the overhype of the kickstarted garbage reeks of desperation on their part...

To tell you the truth, other than playing some classics you may have missed (and if you can stomach the uglyness), you have no choice other than replaying the few good games produced during the last decade like Witcher 3, and expanding to not-really-RPGs-but-still-great-story-driven-games like Deus Ex Human Revolution/Mankind Divided. I can recommend those 2, especially Mankind Divided, if you have a computer that can play it, great game, great story and characters, fun stealthy gameplay. I would rather replay Mankind Divided for the 5th time rather than wasting time with overrated mediocreness like DOSII...

Tigranes

Arcane
OP's opinions seem to suggest a soft spot for well-written setting and story that still lends itself to a fairly straightly melodramatic experience.

But you might potentially grow to like games that have good setting & story, just delivered in a more understated and environmental way rather than cinematic and intense moments.

That means Underrail and Age of Decadence, but also Gothic 1/2, Ultima Underworld 1/2, and others.

After all, why not go slightly beyond your established tastes? Stuff like Shadowrun Returns might get you a fleeting feeling of the games you loved, but ultimately you'll realise you're just playing a weak soup version with nothing new to offer.

Ebonsword

Arcane
I hold the classic opinion that the finest RPGs ever made are Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate II, and Fallout 1-2. I have already played these to the degree of memorizing them and I do not intend to attempt a re-run.

Runner-ups would be, Witcher 1 and 3, and I hated the 2nd game. KotOR 1-2, Vampire the Masquerade, Neverwinter Nights 1-2 (vanilla's were horrible but the 2nd expansions are great in both), Arcanum was nice but I do not remember much about it, Icewind Dales were fun but are lacking in RPG elements. And a special mention of Mass Effect, not because it is a great RPG but because I greatly enjoyed the setting, and how the major threat of the Reapers have been implemented in this game.

It sounds like you enjoyed a lot of the Forgotten Realms RPGs. Have you tried Sword Coast Legends? It's actually much more enjoyable than its reputation suggests. Just don't expect it to be the infinite RPG-building toolset they claimed it was.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom