Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3: Van Buren (Spoilers!)

Klarion

Arcane
Yeah, I know, but it looks like there are two Van Burens being made - one by hexer with Unity and the second one by the rest of the team with fonline engine. It makes a difference so I was curious how is hexer doing.

the one in Unity was Hexer's idea but since Hexer left the project I believe that idea was abandoned.

Sagez

Novice
Hmm, thanks for making that clear. Strange as he wrote about finding Unity programmers in the future and paying people to work on Van Buren. It's sad if it's dead - would be great to have two fanmade Van Burens at the same time, heh. A boy can dream!

Sagez

Novice
And two complete versions are better than one complete version - if we're dreaming anything can happen. That's possible because there never was ''one'' Van Buren: it's pen & paper Avellone's game and the pc game that was being developed later and got cancelled, but even the design docs aren't finished at all! That leaves some place for artistic freedom - so even two Van Burens could be very different games.

Sorry for necroing this sad thread, but my stance is clear: the more fan made fallouts the better (as I don't believe in Bethesda). You can't have too many!

What I want to say is that it's funny how we can get Fallout 1.5 Resurrection (released in english this summer), Fallout Nevada (being translated), Olympus 2207 (being translated) and still cannot play a fanmade Fallout 3. And I'm not counting smaller projects like Shattered Destiny or Last Hope. And Mutants Rising isn't dead as far as I know.

But logic says it's only a matter of time. Sooner or later modders will make Van Buren, because why not? Look at the projects above.

naossano

Cipher
Van Buren was due to release in 2003-2004. We can wait a few years more.
Considering all the work you already done so far, i doubt you will outright cancel it.

hexer

Considering all the work you already done so far, i doubt you will outright cancel it.

I'll never outright cancel it, you're right! The latest build is around 20GB!
I'm fighting hard to start my own game studio so I can have income from commercial games and hire a team to finish Van Buren.

First that CrazyLoon project now this.
Give your work to Russians to make shit done.

CrazyLoon project?

I would have given it to Russians if they asked me.
No one approached us with the intent of picking up the torch and carrying on so far.

Baron Dupek

Arcane

I'll never outright cancel it, you're right! The latest build is around 20GB!
I'm fighting hard to start my own game studio so I can have income from commercial games and hire a team to finish Van Buren.

First that CrazyLoon project now this.
Give your work to Russians to make shit done.

CrazyLoon project?

I would have given it to Russians if they asked me.
No one approached us with the intent of picking up the torch and carrying on so far.

About CrazyLoon project
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-tangut-prophecy-and-derail-thread.80544/
and I was wrong, was thinking about while writing previous post, it's other project made by codex snitcher no.1 called What Remains.

and good luck with getting stable income in these unstable times
AFAIK the rest of the team didn't make any progress in a loooooong time (years?).
too familair 4 me :negative:

Last edited:

hexer

Few, very few, things from that mod have made their way into Van Buren!

But most of them should be in the optional Van Buren expansion pack we planned for :)
Ahh, I hope I'll start my own game studio soon so I can continue working on VB.. the world needs that game more than ever!

Sagez

Novice
Yeah, but I wanted to know if you'll release it for Fallout 2. That would be way faster than finishing Van Buren.

Since you're here, I have a question regarding Van Buren: how many permanent companions will be there? Is this list correct?

Arcade Gannon
Ashley
Alexandra
Joshua Graham/Hanged man
BAJAR
Bear
Beatrice
Christine Royce (?)
Devil dog
Battery
Xian
Job
Kurisu
Otto Steed
Measles
S.O.R.-1000 Alpha

For example Xian is marked as a permanent companion in her wiki page, however she is not there: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Van_Buren_companions (but click ''show'' and she is listed). I assume that Galenski and his wife are temporary companions.

This is a mess overall. Could you clarify?

hexer

Yeah, but I wanted to know if you'll release it for Fallout 2. That would be way faster than finishing Van Buren.

I agree it would be faster but right now I'm working on my own game in Unity all my free time.
Once I finish that and it hopefully sells, I'll get back to classic Fallout :)
Since you're here, I have a question regarding Van Buren: how many permanent companions will be there? Is this list correct?

Arcade Gannon
Ashley
Alexandra
Joshua Graham/Hanged man
BAJAR
Bear
Beatrice
Christine Royce (?)
Devil dog
Battery
Xian
Job
Kurisu
Otto Steed
Measles
S.O.R.-1000 Alpha

For example Xian is marked as a permanent companion in her wiki page, however she is not there: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Van_Buren_companions (but click ''show'' and she is listed). I assume that Galenski and his wife are temporary companions.

This is a mess overall. Could you clarify?

Yeah, Galenskis are temporary companions.

Those that are missing from your list are:

CRB-S - http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/CRBS
Alkaya - A Circle Junction tribal good with Outdoorsman and crafting. http://fallout.gamepedia.com/Alkaya
The Nursery animals - Grizzly and panther, maybe some others
Chrissy - http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Chrissy

Also, we replaced Arcade Gannon to make sure we don't break the timeline.
We replaced him with his dad, Gannon Sr. :)

Regarding Xian and Christine Royce, I dunno. Maybe Vaarna_Aarne knows? :)

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
That's been a subject of heavy debate since the start, and hasn't been resolved yet. I'm one of those that favours rewriting details to make it line up with New Vegas, since it's not that difficult to do and IMO it's worthwhile.

grotsnik

Arcane
So, apparently, it's not dead.
Who's project lead?

I actually still have a bunch of xml conversation files I'd offered to write for these guys 3 years ago before it all fell apart (drafts for Denver and a couple of companons) - so if someone ever does start working on it again, hit me up. Might shave a decade or two off the 2098 release.

PCxqPM.png

Sagez

Novice
Hi Hexer,

As others said, VB project may be dead, but I'm a pesky guy and I'd like to play your sweet maps for Fallout 2. Is there any chance you will change your mind and make them available for public? Like Fallout 2 RP did with new locations?

My reasoning is that the premiere could be big and could attract new modders, new people for the project. Or if you are officialy done with modding, you would quit with a bang! Btw, what was the plan B? You left the project to make money and return with money to finish it as I remember.

Of course Van Buren could be done long time ago if only modders would like to do so, but looks like they prefer to make their own games with their own crappy... sorry, cool story (Nevada then, Sonora now - or let's say Mutants Rising). Can't blame them that much. I'm not a modder. Van Buren has greater potential than original mods... haha, sorry modders, jk jk jk jk.

So... projects gonna fail, players gonna play, haters gonna hate. I want to play!

hexer

Hey mutants!

Just wanted to drop in and tell you what's been happening lately.

1. Van Buren

I have no idea if there's been much progress on Van Buren ever since I left in 2014.
As it seems to me, the old team drifted away and dev progress halted.
I still have the latest source code (20+ GB) if anyone wants to play around with it.

Hi Hexer,
As others said, VB project may be dead, but I'm a pesky guy and I'd like to play your sweet maps for Fallout 2. Is there any chance you will change your mind and make them available for public? Like Fallout 2 RP did with new locations?

VB maps are sadly not compatible with Fallout 2 engine, only with a specific version of FOnline.

2. My own RPG
After years of learning and experimenting, I finally finished game systems for my own RPG and the content of first episode.
The game is a 3D Scifi RPG I will release on Patreon first and later on Steam.
I plan on releasing an episode each month or every two months.
I'm currently working on marketing materials and will open a topic in Codex Workshop to share the news with all.

I hope I'll earn a living from that, quit my job, and resurrect VB development from the dead!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom