Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Call of Saregnar - a Betrayal at Krondor-inspired RPG

Vapid

Learned
Don't you worry, it's literally the first colour I had under the mouse cursor when I opened the colour picker. It's all going to change.

I believe in you, Rhuantavan. :)

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Patreon obviously isn't doing well enough, why not make a Kickstarter page or PayPal store on your website instead?

Alas, like I mentioned before, KS is unavailable in my country, but even if it were, I first need to finish the main systems of the game, like combat for instance, and then produce either a demo, video or both. Patreon isn't so bad, it still brings me in more and more each month, so considering the game is still very early in development, I can't complain. I haven't really considered paypal directly on the web site, because what would I sell? It seems way to early for preorders to me. Btw, a total of $30 in Patreon pledges entitles you to the game once it's finished, so that's a kind of preorder. :)

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If Kickstarter isn't an option, take a look at IndieGoGo. Not now, but when the project is a bit further along in development.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If Kickstarter isn't an option, take a look at IndieGoGo. Not now, but when the project is a bit further along in development.
I am keeping it as an option, but so far the success rate/money raised for game campaigns is really terrible compared to KS.
There's an option to run a flexible campaign. Keep money that you get from backers. Doesn't have to be fixed.

Last edited:

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Patreon obviously isn't doing well enough, why not make a Kickstarter page or PayPal store on your website instead?

Alas, like I mentioned before, KS is unavailable in my country

Slovenia? Go over the border and open a company in Germany. Or make a digital one in Ireland/England/UK. Problem riješen.

but even if it were, I first need to finish the main systems of the game, like combat for instance,

No you don't, just making something placeholder and presentable is enough.

and then produce either a demo, video or both.

Demo is definitely preferable, but not necessary. A good pitch video and a trailer are definitely a must, tho.

I think the main problem is whether you're going to attract enough attention without a demo or not. While having it could instill people with more security into your ability to actually finish the project (even if that might not be the case) and give them a more concrete vision of the game (which they might end up not liking and therefore not supporting), not having it could also have some benefits - people like to be sold on dreams, so sometimes it is better to be slightly vague. Remember, a KS campaign is mostly a sales pitch. And despite not being something desirable, making an additional campaign (to finish the game) is also possible.

Btw, a total of $30 in Patreon pledges entitles you to the game once it's finished, so that's a kind of preorder.

TBH, I didn't know about that. Maybe you should highlight it on both your webpage and Patreon alike? When I want to support you I only see 3 Vesentari options, and all of them are about supporting you on a monthly basis. Adding a one-time option could also do the trick.

Either way, Godspeed.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Slovenia? Go over the border and open a company in Germany. Or make a digital one in Ireland/England/UK. Problem riješen.

It's "rešen" ;)

I may look into this, although it sounds like a lot of trouble... can't say, don't have any xp.

No you don't, just making something placeholder and presentable is enough.

Yeah, but still, combat is pretty darn important, so I want to have it done.

Demo is definitely preferable, but not necessary. A good pitch video and a trailer are definitely a must, tho.

I think the main problem is whether you're going to attract enough attention without a demo or not. While having it could instill people with more security into your ability to actually finish the project (even if that might not be the case) and give them a more concrete vision of the game (which they might end up not liking and therefore not supporting), not having it could also have some benefits - people like to be sold on dreams, so sometimes it is better to be slightly vague. Remember, a KS campaign is mostly a sales pitch. And despite not being something desirable, making an additional campaign (to finish the game) is also possible.

Since I a nobody, I believe I would need some proof that I can deliver such a game. A demo would work beautifully, but yeah, a great video could well be enough.

TBH, I didn't know about that. Maybe you should highlight it on both your webpage and Patreon alike? When I want to support you I only see 3 Vesentari options, and all of them are about supporting you on a monthly basis. Adding a one-time option could also do the trick.

I will definitely need to add that to the site/patreon, thanks for reminding me!

norolim

Arcane

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
I want this to happen but development-wise, what has happened in the last two years?

Good question!

Here are some screenshots from two years ago (Apr 2016 and Jul 2016 respectively):

DwwlN8Q.png

xuKoKY0.png

Besides gfx, much has been done in two years:
* A square-tile-based combat (now being redone in hex)
* All the UI and systems (camping, shopping, conversation, ...)
* Trees! :)
* Story setting, lore, worldbuilding, ...
* Save system
* Been photoshooting medieval reenactors and placed them in-game
* Did the patreon devlog, promotion, etc.
* And probably stuff I can't remember

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
So what's left to do then?

So much that my head hurts thinking about it, but mainly content:

* hex combat
* Missing UI stuff: Map, Journal, Gods/magic interaction UI, inventory items + fixes/enhancements to all existing systems
* ~98% of level design (locations, both the overworld, undergrounds and in-building locations)
* Encounters
* Quests
* Write all the dialogues
* Implement most of the skills and make them usable in various game situations
* Design and implement between-chapter scenes (FMV or BaK-similar thing)
* Much more photoshooting (this time 360deg) for combat, world wandering animations, etc.
* And again, probably other stuff I can't pull from the top of my mind right now.

I want this to happen but development-wise, what has happened in the last two years?

Good question!

Here are some screenshots from two years ago (Apr 2016 and Jul 2016 respectively):

DwwlN8Q.png

Aah, this looks so nice, so comforting. Current look is very nice but I personally find this much more pleasing.

* All the UI and systems (camping, shopping, conversation, ...)
* Trees! :)
* Story setting, lore, worldbuilding,

Show it!

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Well bros, I have returned from my two-week vacation, fully recharged. I have resumed work on the combat system, so that's what I'll be presumably working on for the next couple of months, I believe. In a month's time I'll also have another photoshoot for the combat moves. That should be an interesting challenge.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom