Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Is Deadfire better than PoE?

which is better?

• Total voters

Shadenuat

Arcane
No wait

Character building is better!

100%. Multi classes allow for ridiculous combos that completely break combat as you 1-shot everything.

....wait is that actually better? uh.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I see you are a man of balance and want people to vote both.
The option exists. One can also vote twice for neither game, or once for one while also having the satisfaction of voting against the other a second time by proxy.

:balance:

Erebus

Arcane
Deadfire right now is already more entertaining than PoE at its best. The setting is better (and looks way better than anything in PoE, except maybe for the White March) ; the factions are more interesting ; the companions are connected to the plot ; you can spend plenty of time exploring if you want to ; multi-classing offers more flexibility ; you get some choice as to the classes of your companions ; etc.

Obviously, there are problems to fix. But PoE has problems that it never bothered fixing, such as the fact that you would reach max level way before the final part of the game.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
It's been a week and a bunch of people have beaten Deadfire, so let's do an exit poll. We'll be generous to PoE here and compare its fully patched, post WM expansion state because vanilla would probably lose by a wide margin.
I was equally disappointed with both of them. Smudboy was right.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Consider a turd. An old turd that's been dried by the sun. It's still just a turd but slightly less disgusting to look at. That's PoE1. That's why you're now seeing "Weeeeeell the first PoE wasn't that bad..." posts.

Now consider a turd fresh from the butt. It's a disgusting piece of shit but on a purely abstract and technical level, it is the fresher and newer one out of the two.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, dancing barefoot on a gathering of porcupines while juggling glowing hot embers and having sulphuric acid poured down your pants is better than PoE1, so I don't know what the question is here?

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Deadfire being better than a very bad game doesn't make it good, or even decent. It's still bad, just less than PoE.

LubomiRTard

Literate
As an every day player I prefer Deadfire, ship combat is awesome, we improved the overall game compared to PoE. I sincerely don't get those who don't find it superior.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Voice acting makes shit writing palatable and lack of engagement mechanics feels much better. The game in current state plays itself though if you put AI on. Way to ez wait for patches. Also less walls of text i,e homer wannabe ;)

Last edited:

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
I finished POE, I didn't like it but I finished it. POE2 I gave up early. If you liked it, neck yaself.

M. AQVILA

Arcane
I tried to play PoE again in preparation for Deadfire, especially since I only played vanilla 1.0 PoE. Suffice it to say that I got bored after recruiting Durance, if not earlier. Now I'm not planning on playing Deadfire anytime soon, especially since people say it's either slightly better or the same as PoE.

TL; DR: What Master Planetar said.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
I disagree with the people claiming it's only a minor improvement. The difference was night and day for me.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
POE already improved a lot with White March - and Deadfire is a continuation of that improvement.

Deadfire is better in every single way and anyone who claims something else must be a moron or an edgelord - or both.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
It truly is a universal improvement over the first game.

I reinstalled the first game and played several hours, trying to remember anything that I liked about it more than Deadfire. My mind turned a blank.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
It's an improvement in every area (particularly area, quest and item design) except companions and music. While the writing now being uniformly mediocre is pretty understandable when one looks at the talent management of obsidian, the decline in music quality on the other hand is mindboggling.

Tigranes

Arcane
I wouldn't quite say universal improvement; e.g. the weird Vancian/per-enc mix in POE1 wasn't great, but POE2 fucked it up more by abandoning all pretense of meaningful attrition.

In general, though, it's a clearly superior game and the franchise has improved with every major iteration.

Theldaran

Liturgist
POE already improved a lot with White March - and Deadfire is a continuation of that improvement.

Deadfire is better in every single way and anyone who claims something else must be a moron or an edgelord - or both.

Huh... coming from someone called "Lady ERROR" I somehow doubt that.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I was more impressed with White March, especially high level content, encounters and itemization. Deadfire re-used a lot of what was there while watering down some great stuff (like itemization). It's definitely not what BG2 was to BG1, since for every improvement there is some sort of a pitfall.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom