Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

adrix89

Arbiter
Why are there so many of my country here?
I am also afraid these companions are going to be NWN1/2 level of boring.
I only care for bg type companions or motb/kotor2 ones, everything in between is bad.
Being boring is the least of its problems.
Those characters are probably going to be Terrible that you can't stand them.
And the whole writing is going to be shit so not even custom characters is going to save you.

God I hope this is just a terrible marketing stunt and not everything is going to be infested.
Who is on the writing team for this game anyway?

Cael

Arcane
What people have problems with are the obvious Mary Sues, the angsty "woe is me" shits that keep cropping up in modern RPGs thanks to the millenial shits believing that crap. It is an extension of the millenial mentality that they are owed everything and when things don't turn out the way they want, they spit the dummy and go on a raging rampage of "revenge".
Millenials have little to do with it, or may have nothing to do with it

Let me explain.

When I was DMing in teh internetz, including forum games and chat games, I had to go through hundreds of player biographies. And I can easily tell you that this:

Due to her flawless, almost supernatural beauty, Valerie has been at the center of everyone's attention, even when she was still a child. Born into a noble Brevic family, the young girl soon became a shining star of high society. She quickly had to learn to resist the unwanted advances of her admirers, using cold arrogance and impeccable, distant manners as an impenetrable shield

sort of thing I had to turn down every day. She has flawless, supernatural beauty, she was a star of society, but she used her impeccable manners to distant herself from that terrible fate,

until she just said fuck it and went adventuring even.

or

Regongar had a rough start in life. A childhood and youth spent in the Technic League’s captivity has left a permanent mark, forever changing the half-orc. But while Octavia believes that his suffering has destroyed almost everything good in Regongar, he thinks otherwise. In the crucible of servitude the magus* steeled himself for future challenges, forged his iron will and deadly proficiencies which made the free Regongar a living nightmare for the Technic League and its agents.

He is a suffering person who suffered much but turned so badass.

Do you see where something is wrong here?
Because I can tell you what is wrong here.

08110459.png

This has nothing to do with millenials, or your tumblr, or anita sarkesian. As I said, I had to turn down these sort of characters or ask players to rework them to add some, you know,
FLAWS
into their personalities. And believe me, 13 year olds are not the only who roll characters like this. Far from it.

It's just well, a very "meh" roleplaying ability. Some players change and become better and roleplaying and their characters become more interesting. While some can forever write biographies with SAME TYPOS FOR TEN YEARS "раса" пишется с одной "с" сукаблд and even have fun characters. And some players just write, you now.... like examples above. And don't even change.

Add to this the obvious fact that game developers quote themselves instead quoting anything better and we have an extra layer of problems which already pile up over our beloved recycling bin of fantasy genre.

Of course characters might end up ok in the game, I don't know that (although honestly I don't believe that many of them would, because my gut tells me this and through experience it usually ends up correct); I am just reacting to what we get for now, nothing more.
Saerileth was a Mary Sue written by a third rate hack with a typewriter.

The typical CRPG monstrosity is written by allegely professional writers who are paid for their services.

Now, if they were to give that game out for free, then I would withdraw my contempt for their pandering to the millenial SJW cesspit.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Were you one of those who written half drow half werewolf half vampire girls with white hair with black stripes who were also bisexual and had 6 pages of biography? cause we need to have a talk.
Nah. Just a simple split personally disorder type or revenge driven type or an elf with a bit of hate for humans type.. :)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Life of the Party A Russian take on an extremely American concept.

By the way, who's the brunette at the front? Did they realize that
valeriy-vegera-3532534654.jpg

isn't what anyone who isn't a vatnik would describe as a "supernatural beauty"?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I've never liked the usual representation of Paladins as people who are exceptionally beautiful and knights in shining armor. Beauty on the outside meaning beauty on the inside is so ...Ancient Greek. My problem stems from the whole "devoted to good and champion of justice" thing, I kind of don't know what that means from a practical standpoint and as a realistic personality. What would such a person be in real life? What would they do? And how would they look like? I don't picture handsome men killing dragons to save maidens somehow, or beautiful women riding into battle to avenge peasants.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
When I was DMing in teh internetz, including forum games and chat games, I had to go through hundreds of player biographies. And I can easily tell you that this:

sort of thing I had to turn down every day. She has flawless, supernatural beauty, she was a star of society, but she used her impeccable manners to distant herself from that terrible fate,

until she just said fuck it and went adventuring even.

or

He is a suffering person who suffered much but turned so badass.

Do you see where something is wrong here?
Because I can tell you what is wrong here.
Hahahaha i feel sorry for you mate,i DMed one times with the mates and we all came up with some interesting characters.

Our rogue was named after some rich gambler that likes to fuck and drink. His father was called Zeus,he believed that he was a god while in reality he was a peasant that got hit by a lightning a few times in a row and survived,thus the nick of Zeus. Another great thing that he had were his magical arrows that glowed and were divine but sadly only he can see them,well to sum it up he was dementianal.

Another one of my cast was warlock worshipper of the old ones that hears voices and likes to preach. After our first glorious adventure he decided to clean himself from all the gore and shit he had on him in the local river,problem being that he decided to do it above the local beach ending in him being chased butt naked by a mob of angry people covered in shit and blood.

Also we had a debt ridden gnome wizard that ended up with even more debt riding a stolen carriage as a taxi for a side job. And a monk named Putin that likes to punch shit and ride bears.

Cael If you are really that much in to well written characters and not posing just go and play Spellforce 3 and Siege of Avalon. I do agree with you about the modern level of writing,still i haven't played those characters and have no idea how bad they are written,would hold judgement for now.

PS: I did liked the dwarf ranger from PoE,it was really nicely contrasted to the rest of the circus.

Cael

Arcane
I've never liked the usual representation of Paladins as people who are exceptionally beautiful and knights in shining armor. Beauty on the outside meaning beauty on the inside is so ...Ancient Greek. My problem stems from the whole "devoted to good and champion of justice" thing, I kind of don't know what that means from a practical standpoint and as a realistic personality. What would such a person be in real life? What would they do? And how would they look like? I don't picture handsome men killing dragons to save maidens somehow, or beautiful women riding into battle to avenge peasants.
So, in other words, you think that only ugly people can be idealists. Yeah. Let me guess, you look like someone who used a cheese grater to shave and that is on a good day, eh?

It is hilarious how people rebel against the superficial notion of beauty = good and go the complete opposite, and ironically refuse to acknowledge that they are as bad as those they hate: BOTH of them judge on the outward appearance of someone.

Lacrymas

Arcane
No, I'm actually quite handsome. Them being idealists doesn't really solve my problem with what they'd do irl and how they are going to do it. Or what they actually believe in.

Cael

Arcane
Cael If you are really that much in to well written characters and not posing just go and play Spellforce 3 and Siege of Avalon. I do agree with you about the modern level of writing,still i haven't played those characters and have no idea how bad they are written,would hold judgement for now.
I am less into well written characters than I am against lazy talentless hacks who use a checklist of traits to come up with characters that we all know pander to the bandwagon jumping rebels without a clue.

Cael

Arcane
No, I'm actually quite handsome. Them being idealists doesn't really solve my problem with what they'd do irl and how they are going to do it. Or what they actually believe in.
Ah. Your problem is that you see an idealist and don't know what they are on about, and so you just switch on the hate. Got it.

Let me let you in on a secret: They don't really believe in anything or do anything. They are fictional characters in a fantasy story, and will do what the author says they do.

Cael

Arcane
Paladins are originally champions of Charlemagne. His Knights of the Round Table.

So think Percival, Galahad, Lancelot.

de-verzoeking-van-parsifal-1894-arthur-hacker-1858-1919.jpg
Less Lancelot, more Galahad. Paladins have a spiritual component to them that Lancelot never really fulfilled in the myths. I'd say that Galahaut and Parsifal were probably the only two that really qualified.

Lacrymas

Arcane
From what I can tell, paladins or, more specifically, their exploits are fictitious. I.e. they don't actually exist as depicted irl, which was what I was talking about. This is quite a problem when dealing with more serious narratives than legends or chansons de geste, not to mention they are quite cliched at this point, so expecting them to be both like traditional depictions and good characters in a (modern) narrative is not a realistic possibility. Maybe it's time to rethink paladins, but not in PoE's way, they are too vague there.

Cael

Arcane
From what I can tell, paladins or, more specifically, their exploits are fictitious. I.e. they don't actually exist as depicted irl, which was what I was talking about. This is quite a problem when dealing with more serious narratives than legends or chansons de geste, not to mention they are quite cliched at this point, so expecting them to be both like traditional depictions and good characters in a (modern) narrative is not a realistic possibility. Maybe it's time to rethink paladins, but not in PoE's way, they are too vague there.
You can make paladins to be anything you want them to be in your story. You are the author, you do what you want. Take a look at Michael. Really traditional depiction of angels there, huh? I really don't see any problem here and yet you are displaying a lot of angst over it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom