Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
None of these characters would be out of place in Baldur's Gate, it's just that they were never meant to be described this way.

Due to her flawless, almost supernatural beauty, Valerie has been at the center of everyone's attention

I mean lol. You know this might be true, but you don't want to be told it.

But hey, at least it's not pretentious Sawyerism amirite

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Popping into this thread since the release is around the corner and I see it's full of people complaining about character archetypes (in Pathfinder, which prides itself on carrying the tradfant torch from D&D 3.5) and women warriors, who have existed for ages in fiction https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_warriors_in_literature_and_culture
An orc wizard isn't a traditional archetype but a dramaqueen SJW construct.

A cleric who doesn't preach is not a cleric and should not get any clerical powers. Even atheist clerics preach and preach stridently.

Orc Wizards and sub-optimal builds are a TT staple. That shits been around since at least the 80's, but I suppose the evil SJWs are out to get you.

Most clerics don't preach, not in TT sessions, nor in most games with cleric companions I can think of. In fact a cleric that does preach (Durance from PoE?) would probably be more interesting and archtype breaking.

Cael

Arcane
full of people complaining about character archetypes
Terrible and uncreative companions that are more fitting in a high school tabletop game than something supposed to earn money and aimed at a wide audience.

women warriors, who have existed for ages in fiction
Here we go, another fallacy. "You know, Greek myths have amazons so it's perfectly reasonable for every culture and tribe to have women on steroids carrying oversized weapons and fighting stereotypes, even if it doesn't makee any fucking sense". It doesn't matter that a tribe/city/country that would have women actively participating in conflicts (even if we make an assumption that women and men are equally capable) would get massively depopulated over time; every female warrior dying on the field is one less mother that ensures the continuity of her tribe/city/realm/whatever. Also we're entirely skipping the amount of rapes and psychological trauma that comes alongside, when the "mixed" army gets defeated.
Apart of that, a woman leaving to fight on her own goes against her upbringing, because individualism isn't always a thing and people often raise their offspring to fulfill a certain role. Pardon me for expecting a character to have some believable motivations towards their choices and behaviors.
Not to mention that a lady who deliberately go against her upbringing and become a warrior for no reason other than "muh choice" is so against societal norms in the old days that it would be a 1 in a billion that would do it, but guess what? You get to meet that 1 in a billion. As Terry Prachet says, 1 in 100000 odds happens every day.

Even Mulan has a good reason to turn warrior and leader, not just "muh choice".

Cael

Arcane
Orc Wizards and sub-optimal builds are a TT staple. That shits been around since at least the 80's, but I suppose the evil SJWs are out to get you.
Your table of dramaqueen "look at moi! look at moi!!!" three year olds, perhaps.

In mine, you'd be humiliatingly killed. Possibly multiple times. The Kakoda Track isn't for triple amputees with the IQ of 3, regardless of what the fucktards want to believe.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I followed this thread only to see when the game comes out,but it seems that there is some SJW drama going on. Can anyone clue me in? I read the last 2-3 pages but they are filled with some guys whining about warrior women and similar shit. The same way i don't like my games to be filled with sjw trash,i don't want them to be filled with all male party hating on every woman they see. All those "women in reality are weak so they shouldn't be warriors in gamez" can kindly fuck off! Go and punch some girl in the streets and leave me to enjoy the my escapism in a fantasy world.

PS: Yeah the characters show on the last page sound pretty retarded. Most likely they will feed my bloodlust. Me not killing orks and talking to them.....MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Cael

Arcane
I followed this thread only to see when the game comes out,but it seems that there is some SJW drama going on. Can anyone clue me in? I read the last 2-3 pages but they are filled with some guys whining about warrior women and similar shit. The same way i don't like my games to be filled with sjw trash,i don't want them to be filled with all male party hating on every woman they see. All those "women in reality are weak so they shouldn't be warriors in gamez" can kindly fuck off! Go and punch some girl in the streets and leave me to enjoy the my escapism in a fantasy world.

PS: Yeah the characters show on the last page sound pretty retarded. Most likely they will feed my bloodlust. Me not killing orks and talking to them.....MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
It has 100% to do with the characters shown on the last page. There are some twats trying to conflate it with every female character ever made, but the main gripe is about how retarded the characters are and you aren't really given a choice in whether you get to keep them in the party or not, especially when the only mage it seems you are getting is a gimped ork with the stereotypical "woe is me, I have such a terrible childhood, feel my angst at a 1000 paces!"

Oh, and the other one is the "woe is me! I am so beautiful that men combust but it is suuuuuch a BURDEN! No one takes me seriously because I am toooooo beautiful! Woe! Woe! Woe! Feel MY angst at 10,000 paces!"

Trashos

Arcane
Dev Diary #1 - Meet The Companions
In our first retrospective update we're giving you the opportunity to get a closer look at ten of the companions, who will join you on your quest to conquer the Stolen Lands. They are:
Valerie, the Brevic fighter
Ekundayo, the grim ranger
Jubilost Narthropple, a humble servant to no one
Octavia, the gleeful half-elf with a talent for magic and sleight of hand
Regongar, the meanest magus on this side of the Inner Sea
Amiri, the iconic barbarian
Harrim, the brooding cleric of Groetus
Tristian, favorite of the Everlight
Linzi, your personal chronicler
Nok-Nok, the goblin companion, who started out as a stretchgoal

Insanely unappealing companions. Congratulations.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Your reign begins September 25, 2018... Pathfinder: Kingmaker will take players on a tour through the infamous Stolen Lands, the dangerous and turbulent territories well known within Pathfinder fandom. The computer RPG will revisit familiar characters and well-known locations of the series’ lore as well as treat players to brand new adventures, deadly foes and unforeseen twists and turns. Fans of the fantasy pen-and-paper RPG will experience its epic, heroic universe in new ways while computer RPG gamers will discover their favorite genre in a more contemporary light, in stunning 3D graphics that bring the universe to life. Pathfinder: Kingmaker will challenge players as both adventurers and rulers as they will be able to claim explored lands and carve their own kingdom from the wilderness. Kingdom founding will go beyond simple stronghold-building to become a true reflection of the hero’s character and choices made throughout the game. Each kingdom will be a living thing shaped by alignment, choices, allies and the hero’s ability to lead his or her people.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://af.gog.com/game/pathfinder_kingmaker_explorer_edition?as=1649904300

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-kingmaker/posts/2243133

Pathfinder: Kingmaker releases September 25!
Posted by Berserkerkitten

Dear Pathfinders!

We have an official release date: September 25! The game is now up for pre-order on Steamand GoG and will be sold as a physical version by selected retail outlets.

We're sorry it's not the August release many of you had hoped for, but we'd like to use the extra time to apply an additional layer of love and polish for the release version. It'll be worth the wait - we promise!

We're almost here, everyone! Thank you all so much for getting us there!

There's also a little teaser trailer to celebrate our release date. Behold:

6acf901b4f2da3cadb7c919820336e78_original.png

PAX West - Volunteers Needed!

a6407efe421273a5d1aff0b6613e2e74_original.png

We’re searching for passionate fans who can join us as volunteers at PAX West in Seattle! We’re gonna be there on Sep 31 - Aug 3 with an awesome booth and a latest version of the game to show. If you’re gonna be in the area and would like to join Team Owlcat, please sign up here - https://goo.gl/forms/VddMT4DBsixlg4D13

And even if you won’t be able to volunteer with us, find our booth at Level 4, we’ll be showing a lot of new stuff!

Hail to the Kings!

Owlcats

e94639ac9cc5d71687fc3070884fa252_original.png

Last edited by a moderator:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hmmm the grim ranger will be the first one to enjoy a hammer to the head. The ork and the barbarian look like ignorable. The knight chick looks fuckable,would ignore her drivel as long as she opens her legs and let me drill that ass of hers.

It has 100% to do with the characters shown on the last page. There are some twats trying to conflate it with every female character ever made, but the main gripe is about how retarded the characters are and you aren't really given a choice in whether you get to keep them in the party or not, especially when the only mage it seems you are getting is a gimped ork with the stereotypical "woe is me, I have such a terrible childhood, feel my angst at a 1000 paces!"

Oh, and the other one is the "woe is me! I am so beautiful that men combust but it is suuuuuch a BURDEN! No one takes me seriously because I am toooooo beautiful! Woe! Woe! Woe! Feel MY angst at 10,000 paces!"

Every game have unlikeable characters to different people,for all we know they could be well written. I do believe that people are over sensitive this days,don't get me wrong i will be first to throw shit at a sjw retardation,but here we are talking about some basic descriptions. Some of them could be well written and interesting.

As for the fuckable woman,well what do you expect it is a woman?! Do you want her to have man's character or something? Women do like to bitch about trivial things.

Shilandra

Learned
Hmmm the grim ranger will be the first one to enjoy a hammer to the head. The ork and the barbarian look like ignorable. The knight chick looks fuckable,would ignore her drivel as long as she opens her legs and let me drill that ass of hers.

Every game have unlikeable characters to different people,for all we know they could be well written. I do believe that people are over sensitive this days,don't get me wrong i will be first to throw shit at a sjw retardation,but here we are talking about some basic descriptions. Some of them could be well written and interesting.

As for the fuckable woman,well what do you expect it is a woman?! Do you want her to have man's character or something? Women do like to bitch about trivial things.

I do find her profile commenting so heavily on her beauty strange. I mean, she doesn't look bad and she might clean up well but preternatural beauty tends to shine through regardless of hairstyle. I mean just take a look at sharwyn

latest

Just look at those eyes, that smooth, silky hair, that facial structure and those lips. Even if you were to cut her hair short there would be little diffrence. She would still be super pretty.

Maybe its the artist holding Valerie back because I just can't imagine more hair doing much for her. You csnt hide radiance without taking a few walls to the face and that clearly hasn't happened to her so that makes it harder to actually buy into her backstory. Though the description does make it sound like she's going to get bodied by her former goddess so that could be something to look forward to if someone doesn't much care for her.

Payd Shell

Arcane
Sometimes I think people would call spiders SJW bullshit because as is the case with our arachnid overlords friends the females are bigger than the males

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Shilandra That is true,i was always a sucker for such women like the knightly one. My favourite portrait is from IWD,it always give me a boner.

1173617134fullres.jpg

Sometimes I think people would call spiders SJW bullshit because as is the case with our arachnid overlords friends the females are bigger than the males
Hahahaha for a moment i was going to begin raging at you,until i got it that you are talking about real spiders and not the studio :).

Moonrise

The Magnificent
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
A gish half-orc twink is the most attractive party member. Let that sink in. It's so bold I almost like it.

Shadenuat

Arcane
None of these characters would be out of place in Baldur's Gate
BG had it's share of standard characters, including raging feminist and a valkyrie shieldmaiden. but it also had share of not-standard and evilish ones and various archetypes plucked from literature. aside from standard, it had a couple of bitch-wife and cowardly under the heel husbandu, byronish elf suffering for dead waifu, a famme fatale bitch thief manipulating men for her own goods, crazy rashemen, an idiot girl in love with rogue who gets quickly disappointed in him, and so on.

As far as I remember, personal devotion is what matters, not ranting at people. I don't recall Aerie, Viconia, etc. going on sermons.
Keldorn was preaching to everyone including bhaalspawn about his soul and tried to make atheist druids and rangers worship torm. The crisis of faith was the main point of his banter in banter triangle of him/anomen/aerie. He also loled at jaheira/cernd faith etc. (because d&d druidism is not a real faith and is dumb, so double hilarious)
Viconia obviously couldn't go on sermons because she was a DROW and people wanted to kill her.

Also THE FUCK EVERY TIME, ANY RPG, GETS CRITICISM, PEOPLE INSTANTLY MAKE COMPARISON TO BALDERSGATE HORY SHITTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Popping into this thread since the release is around the corner and I see it's full of people complaining about <...> women warriors
It's not about women warriors existing, it's about that their backstories are shit. Both womyn warriors are rejected social outcasts. What is even the point?
If ITSFANTASY, they might as well have no explanation. They just fight because of their allegiance (like Jaheira for harpers and to keep bad things happening), or because in their culture women well fight and that's it (barbarian womyn fight, shieldmaidens fight, onna bugeisha fight, etc).
but nooo. they require a special dramatic past TM to fite.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I'm actually thinking more of Baldur's Gate 2. Nalia and Mazzy would totally fit in with this bunch.

Shadenuat

Arcane
No, because Mazzy was actually funny.

Also her becoming paladin was indeed a problem because she was a hafling trying to be like human warrior and romanticising knights of a different race whom she could never become.

One tradition Kingmaker takes from BG though is true - womyn generally are a bit more interesting than men. Although BG2 had interesting male characters in comparison to Kingmaker who are all fucking Valygars.

The thing is even BG1 was sometimes interesting enough to plagiarize literary and real life tropes.

Kingmaker plagiarizes standard modern fantasy tropes TM instead. It's a recycling circle of banal shit sadly.

Last edited:

Payd Shell

Arcane
Both womyn warriors are rejected social outcasts. What is even the point?
But isn't that kinda a good point? Makes wahmen warriors the exception rather than the rule. SJW agenda is usually about normalizing things and those two aren't considered normal in whatever society spawned them. Not that it makes for a stellar background or anything, though.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Instead of idiotic dweebs wasting 10 pages complaining about digital woman with swords everyone should be complaining about how everything looks so generic. All this fantasy worlds are all starting to blend together. A giant green woman with sword, a short man with a heavy beard... Yawn ZzZzZzZz... Nothing new or fresh and the idiots in here lick it up like how a dog licks his own diarrhea... What a waste.... The only RPGs I am looking forward at this point is Disco Elysium and the New World.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Both womyn warriors are rejected social outcasts. What is even the point?
But isn't that kinda a good point? Makes wahmen warriors the exception rather than the rule. SJW agenda is usually about normalizing things and those two aren't considered normal in whatever society spawned them. Not that it makes for a stellar background or anything, though.
and of course from all the warriors you can hire, you hire these 2 exceptions. see where problem is?
it's PATHFINDER. It's your standard d&d mix of everything and their original setting whole point is that you can play anything.
Trying to introduce any historical accuracy TM is like trying to sit on 2 chairs in a setting like this. This is something you can't win. So you either accept it and go with it like say BG did, or do it in a more elegant way maybe (make woman warrior, throw a few odd glares from npcs on her, but focus on her personal story and personality/motivations).
Here we have the most unelegant way of doing things. These character's biographies are dictated by them being special exception TM, instead of them having memorable personalities.

the New World
a party of gg and 5 miltiadeses betraying you every turn and hating your every decision because vince thinks everything players usually do is stupid. would be fun yes. :shittydog::shittydog:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom