Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cael

Arcane
Can someone key me in? I have no problem with female warriors that fuck guys up in a fictional universe tbh. As long as the regular females correspond and act how females do IRL. Is there some specific SJW bullshit in these characters/backstory, or are virgins just bitching for no reason again?
How many women you know decide to beat up men for the lulz because some men were mean to them when they were younger?
I can kind of see your point, but eh. If a characters back story is that she hates men because of something like that, it's not the biggest stretch. Do you know how many faggot ass men there are that hate women because they're disgusting and are going to be virgins for life? Women do it too, have you seen this recent third wave of feminism?
The recent third wave of feminism is exactly what the posters here are alluding to. It is completely unrealistic, illogical and utterly based on sociopathic hatred. Pandering to this kind of psychosis is worthy of ridicule.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Can someone key me in? I have no problem with female warriors that fuck guys up in a fictional universe tbh. As long as the regular females correspond and act how females do IRL. Is there some specific SJW bullshit in these characters/backstory, or are virgins just bitching for no reason again?
How many women you know decide to beat up men for the lulz because some men were mean to them when they were younger?
I can kind of see your point, but eh. If a characters back story is that she hates men because of something like that, it's not the biggest stretch. Do you know how many faggot ass men there are that hate women because they're disgusting and are going to be virgins for life? Women do it too, have you seen this recent third wave of feminism?
The recent third wave of feminism is exactly what the posters here are alluding to. It is completely unrealistic, illogical and utterly based on sociopathic hatred. Pandering to this kind of psychosis is worthy of ridicule.

Spot on

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Feminism is a good thing, but internet tumblr feminism is (and sadly the more vocal) are just misandry and bitterness hiding behind the name feminism and today's social justice is just hatred towads majority hiding behind a civil right disguise.

Mid 20th century feminist and civil rights activist would cry if they ever see their idea twisted into this abomination

Shadenuat

Arcane
A gorgeous noblewoman who mastered martial arts and rejected society and cut her hair to be short and find her own way
A vengeful ranger whos parents died
An ork with difficult dramatic and suffering childhood but while he suffered he was taught awesome magic so hes awesome
A barbarian woman who mastered martial arts and rejected society and has guts sword and doesn't wear armor
A cleric who never preaches.

If players would write these characters, I would ban them outright and send to make new ones.

Also for the "land of outlaws", there is surprising lack of actual outlaws on the run in party, or mercenaries who serve you only if you allow them to raid and get a cut, or evil mages who would try and become your advisor to then take kingdom away from you, etc.

Cael

Arcane
A gorgeous noblewoman who mastered martial arts and rejected society and cut her hair to be short and find her own way
A vengeful ranger whos parents died
An ork with difficult dramatic and suffering childhood but while he suffered he was taught awesome magic so hes awesome
A barbarian woman who mastered martial arts and rejected society and has guts sword and doesn't wear armor
A cleric who never preaches.
Sounds like DnD's version of the para-olympics.

If players would write these characters, I would ban them outright and send to make new ones.
Allow me to introduce you to a very important part of the DM's repertoire: The DM's Guide to How To Be A Complete and Utter Sadistic Bastard (tm).

Bocian

Arcane
Do you know how many faggot ass men there are that hate women because they're disgusting and are going to be virgins for life?
There's plenty of men who score a lot and "hate" women because of how they are, and sometimes rightfully so. "Incels" are an internet meme, just like SJW's - there aren't that many of them in the real world out there, but the internet has given them a place to air their idiotic grievances and they're louder than they're supposed to be.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Yeah I take that back, at least for naked barbarian woman I'd allow her player to play only to shoot her with arrows to death during first combat encounter.

I will roll a gnome and have party of gnome, 2 gnomes, dwarf and goblin. We will be racist to anyone above '4.6 and try and make monopoly on anything and ruin economy of other countries around us.

Bocian

Arcane
Feminism is a good thing
It was a good thing..
You mean those suffragettes who decided to destabilize the society by voicing their claims at the worst possible moment for the society, pushed to do so by foreign influences, while men gave their lives away in a war?

I will roll a gnome and have party of gnome, 2 gnomes, dwarf and goblin. We will be racist to anyone above '4.6 and try and make monopoly on anything and ruin economy of other countries around us.
zionist_agent.png

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Do you know how many faggot ass men there are that hate women because they're disgusting and are going to be virgins for life?
There's plenty of men who score a lot and "hate" women because of how they are, and sometimes rightfully so. "Incels" are an internet meme, just like SJW's - there aren't that many of them in the real world out there, but the internet has given them a place to air their idiotic grievances and they're louder than they're supposed to be.
Fair enough. And after thinking it through, your analysis of men who score a lot and "hate" women is a lot more accurate. I know a lot more men that cheat on their girlfriends and sleep around with women, not really giving a shit because in the LA club scene, all women are whores. These same people are also tied in with professional athletes and movie/music stars as well.
You mean those suffragettes who decided to destabilize the society by voicing their claims at the worst possible moment for the society, pushed to do so by foreign influences, while men gave their lives away in a war?
Didn't say it was perfect, but the shit had to get done eventually. Plus, there were other things they did that were necessary to place women on equal footing with men after the first world war.

Cael

Arcane
Yeah I take that back, at least for naked barbarian woman I'd allow her player to play only to shoot her with arrows to death during first combat encounter.

D-. Good effort, but needs lots of work.

1. A gorgeous noblewoman who mastered martial arts and rejected society and cut her hair to be short and find her own way
She will find jobs being a bodyguard for merchants and spend the whole game going from town to town. End of game.

2. A vengeful ranger whos parents died
Who will meet a vengeful bear... whose parents were killed by rangers.

3. An ork with difficult dramatic and suffering childhood but while he suffered he was taught awesome magic so hes awesome
Who will meet an elven mage who was also taught awesome magic, except the elf has a higher Int and therefore own the ork.

4. A barbarian woman who mastered martial arts and rejected society and has guts sword and doesn't wear armor
Who will end up dying alone and unloved because she rejected society! End of game.

5. A cleric who never preaches.
Who will never get spells. Or Turn Undead.

Shadenuat

Arcane
a Friend provided alternative biography for a barbarian woman companion about fighting patriarchy (I believe he spent 6 seconds thinking of something better than presented on steam):
a 9th wife of old powerful chieftain was supposed to be burried in a giant tomb together with him when he died, but she was too badass and killed her guard with bare teeth and then run away into the wild lands. she would join you if you make her your kin and promise her to find a new suitable, rich husband to marry.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I understand Paizo wants us to eat up their goons because they're part of the IP, but you'd think success of Witcher and Game of Thrones would open an additional, more cynical approach to writing fantasy and characters since people are ready to enjoy it regardless of marketing testing saying that 12 to 25 yo players 80% of the time enjoy playing Good guys and games with good guys sell well

The setting is "outlaw lands" and you can build evil kingdom. Whom are you going to build it with? A single goblin taking role of executioner I guess?

Dodo1610

Arcane
I understand Paizo wants us to eat up their goons because they're part of the IP, but you'd think success of Witcher and Game of Thrones would open an additional, more cynical approach to writing fantasy and characters since people are ready to enjoy it regardless of marketing testing saying that 12 to 25 yo players 80% of the time enjoy playing Good guys and games with good guys sell well

The setting is "outlaw lands" and you can build evil kingdom. Whom are you going to build it with? A single goblin taking role of executioner I guess?

The majority of player only ever play as the noble paladin who selflessly saves people. RPGs have trained us to play this way since this way gives us more EXP. Usually you have the choice between doing something good or bad and if you chose the bad option you will always get the worse rewards. Because developers think moral choices are about rewarding being a good person and punishing the wicked.

Cael

Arcane
The majority of player only ever play as the noble paladin who selflessly saves people. RPGs have trained us to play this way since this way gives us more EXP. Usually you have the choice between doing something good or bad and if you chose the bad option you will always get the worse rewards. Because developers think moral choices are about rewarding being a good person and punishing the wicked.
Which is a good thing because otherwise you'd end up with assholes who think beheading people whom they don't like is a good idea.

Cael

Arcane
Popping into this thread since the release is around the corner and I see it's full of people complaining about character archetypes (in Pathfinder, which prides itself on carrying the tradfant torch from D&D 3.5) and women warriors, who have existed for ages in fiction https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_warriors_in_literature_and_culture
An orc wizard isn't a traditional archetype but a dramaqueen SJW construct.

A cleric who doesn't preach is not a cleric and should not get any clerical powers. Even atheist clerics preach and preach stridently.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Nothing in the rules say an orc can't be a wizard. It's always been allowed in character creation. Not a powergaming build, given the int penalty, but of course these companions are going to be built with role playing in mind.

A cleric who doesn't preach is not a cleric and should not get any clerical powers. Even atheist clerics preach and preach stridently.
:hmmm: The description says the guy is devout. As far as I remember, personal devotion is what matters, not ranting at people. I don't recall Aerie, Viconia, etc. going on sermons.

Cael

Arcane
Nothing in the rules say an orc can't be a wizard. It's always been allowed in character creation. Not a powergaming build, given the int penalty, but of course these companions are going to be built with role playing in mind.
A companion that I wouldn't even consider if given the choice, but, of course, like any good SJW game, I am not. Therefore, fuck that noise. Banned!

:hmmm: The description says the guy is devout. As far as I remember, personal devotion is what matters, not ranting at people. I don't recall Aerie, Viconia, etc. going on sermons.
Then, you have a faulty memory. Both Jaheira and Viconia is quite open about their religion and do tell you about it and how it affects them. They just aren't in your face about it. In fact, all of the religious types are like that, including Anomen and the old man whose name escapes me for the moment. On the other side of the sword, that Shadow Druid is more than happy to kill you for her religion. Branwen in BG is always talking about Tempus. And, of course, Tiax RULES!

Aerie, I don't recall much other than she's a broken bird who needed a lot of support.

Bocian

Arcane
full of people complaining about character archetypes
Terrible and uncreative companions that are more fitting in a high school tabletop game than something supposed to earn money and aimed at a wide audience.

women warriors, who have existed for ages in fiction
Here we go, another fallacy. "You know, Greek myths have amazons so it's perfectly reasonable for every culture and tribe to have women on steroids carrying oversized weapons and fighting stereotypes, even if it doesn't makee any fucking sense". It doesn't matter that a tribe/city/country that would have women actively participating in conflicts (even if we make an assumption that women and men are equally capable) would get massively depopulated over time; every female warrior dying on the field is one less mother that ensures the continuity of her tribe/city/realm/whatever. Also we're entirely skipping the amount of rapes and psychological trauma that comes alongside, when the "mixed" army gets defeated.
Apart of that, a woman leaving to fight on her own goes against her upbringing, because individualism isn't always a thing and people often raise their offspring to fulfill a certain role. Pardon me for expecting a character to have some believable motivations towards their choices and behaviors.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom