Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout New Vegas 2 even less likely to happen - Todd keeping FO in house

Irata

Scholar
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/bethesda-is-less-likely-to-let-an-outside-studio-m/1100-6460518/

2010's Fallout: New Vegas was developed by Obsidian Entertainment, not by Bethesda Game Studios itself. The game was generally well-liked, with GameSpot praising its big, detailed open world and quests filled with personality. While Obsidian has said it would like to make another Fallout game someday, it sounds like that won't happen. Bethesda boss Todd Howard said in a new interview that the company would rather develop big games internally.

He told The Guardian that he isn't ready to say definitively that a Fallout game from an outside studio won't ever happen again--but don't count on it.

"I wouldn't say never," Howard said. "[But] now that our company is so big, it's always better to keep stuff internal ... it becomes less likely, but I could never say never. I thought the Obsidian guys did a fabulous job."

Bocian

Arcane
Who cares? We have Resurrection, Nevada, Olympus (hopefully going to be translated in time) and its sequel, and who knows what will future bring. Nobody needs this 3D shooter shit anymore, especially from Obsidian - since we know their modus operandi now thanks to MCA and a pile of shit that Deadfire is. I fail to see them delivering anything close to NV.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
I enjoyed FNV for what it was despite the engine and level scaling, but realistically, considering how pitiful POE and all their games since FNV were. I seriously doubt FNV 2 will be any good, especially since it will be in the F4 engine which is even worse.

Beastro

Arcane
FONVs ernest effrot at world building and fleshing things out as much as Gamebryo could allow made me easier on how ugly and small scale it was.

laclongquan

Arcane
My suspicion confirmed~

I think it's Not just Obsidian and Fallout related things, but other companies and other IPs as well. I put it that Bethesda will NEVER EVER let creative control, specifically game writings, out of their hands ever again after FNV. even if they let other studios do their games, they would still insist an extremely tight control over what kind of writings will appear in game.

They know what kind of writings will get million of copies sold, and they are not to let others ruin that formula.

Yosharian

Arcane
My suspicion confirmed~

I think it's Not just Obsidian and Fallout related things, but other companies and other IPs as well. I put it that Bethesda will NEVER EVER let creative control, specifically game writings, out of their hands ever again after FNV. even if they let other studios do their games, they would still insist an extremely tight control over what kind of writings will appear in game.

They know what kind of writings will get million of copies sold, and they are not to let others ruin that formula.

COUNTRY ROADS, TAKE ME HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOME

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's all about the money and Bethesda knows it will earn more and easier if they just keep doing the thing they've been doing with all their games. Make them more simple and accessible, jump on trends, unironically cater to the most normie of audiences. You think someone at Bethesda still has any resemblance of passion for TES or Fallout? You might as well pledge money to Chris Roberts to whisper you all these sweet, upcoming features of SC in your ear ASMR style while you slowly drift to sleep.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Sad to hear but not unexpected. Fallout needs a break anyway honestly, which it seems like its getting with Starfield and TES6 being their next games and their other studio doing the online game. Unless they have Arkane do a Fallout, which would be weird.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
ryIyNEn.jpg

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Who cares? We have Resurrection, Nevada, Olympus (hopefully going to be translated in time) and its sequel, and who knows what will future bring. Nobody needs this 3D shooter shit anymore, especially from Obsidian - since we know their modus operandi now thanks to MCA and a pile of shit that Deadfire is. I fail to see them delivering anything close to NV.
Exactly, New Vegas was lighting in a bottle and most of the talent behind that project is gone from Obsidian
In a way it is bittersweet; New Vegas was a fleeting glimpse of what the future of Fallout would have been on the hands of a semi capable developer... but now there will be no more pipedreams for any of us about the future of Fallout, it will be in the hands of Howard the Toad forevermore and no more hope for the future of the franchise other than the odd great mod like Fallout 1.5

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
"I wouldn't say never," Howard said. "[But] now that our company is so big, it's always better to keep stuff internal ... it becomes less likely, but I could never say never. I thought the Obsidian guys did a fabulous job."

"We seek to continue a severe lack of quality in our products. Letting another company handle one of our IPs could have an impact on that goal."

FeelTheRads

Arcane
While it's funny to translate it that way, that quote is just standard PR-speak. A lot of words that in the end don't say anything. It's how you talk to the lowest common denominator.
If interviewers had any balls they'd call out people when they do this. In fact they should be offended to be talked at in this way. But they don't have balls and more often than not interviewers are just part of the lowest common denominator themselves.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom