Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Classic Warhammer/Warhammer 40K games released on GOG

Morkar Left

Chaos Gate works flawless with the gog-version?

Citizen

Chaos Gate works flawless with the gog-version?

I finished it with gog version. I had a problem with moving the vehicles, but I never got far enough in the game when I played it on my old winxp PC, maybe it was always like that. But it's not a game crushing problem, sometimes they just refuse to move as if they were on impassable terrain.

Dayyālu

Arcane
It's time to LP and finish it.

Darth Roxor , you know you want it.

I've probably played Chaos Gate a shitton of times (I almost remember the enemy placement by heart) but I got no time to do it nau.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I installed Chaos Gate this week, I think on monday. Was pretty surprised to see it launch and run without any trubble given how infamous it is in that regard. I'm on campaign mission 5 atm and it's working splendidly.

Also, it's properly cheesy for a 40k gaem. MAY THE DARK ONES TASTE MY SOUL.
The Emperor orders you to DIE!
It is cheesy and memorable :D

It's time to LP and finish it.

Darth Roxor , you know you want it.

I've probably played Chaos Gate a shitton of times (I almost remember the enemy placement by heart) but I got no time to do it nau.

Actually, that is the main problem I have with the game:
remembering all enemy placement makes it much less replayable than it should be.
But I got quite a lot out of it, and I think it remains the best TB 40K game so far.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The random mission generator sucked a bit of fun out of the game for me. Not sure you have to grind them though, but just their presence.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
I have only warp spiders left to level-up and upgrade into an exarch. Once they get this the 'nids are better beware, for my dream of assembling an elf power ranger squad will be complete.
Rites of war is really good, but i can see how someone can burnout before reaching the last missions.

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
The random mission generator sucked a bit of fun out of the game for me. Not sure you have to grind them though, but just their presence.

It's an option they gave you for grinding.

They aren't necessary at all: CG isn't a hard game. Also, the last random missions with Chaosies Termies are BY FAR the hardest missions in the game because Reaper Autocannons termies with sustained fire will kill stock power armour marines like nothing and even crush your termies. It's pure RNG to survive them and the payoff isn't there.

Rites of war is really good, but i can see how someone can burnout before reaching the last missions.

I remember it keeping up enough variety (for a Panzer General clone) to be enjoyable. Hell, compared to Panzer Corps it's excellent, and the end mission is still "cinematic" (in a TB game!) as it may be.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Chaos gates works ok for me too.
Setting chaos marines on fire in the narrow corridors of the temple is fun.
I think i handled the first mission pretty terribly though. The only thing that saved my battle brothers from the eternal shame is that they were mostly facing the malformed cultists and only a little number of chaos marines so far.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
thunder hammer termie in chaos gate is so hilarious

park him next to a mob of zerks, end turn and watch the whackamole unfold

BLOOD FOR THE-

*whack whack*

BLOOD FOR-

*whack whack whack*

*whack whack*

*whack*

pentakill

before that chain axe shall beat me down i'll die with my hammer in my hand

Also, the last random missions with Chaosies Termies are BY FAR the hardest missions in the game because Reaper Autocannons termies with sustained fire will kill stock power armour marines like nothing and even crush your termies. It's pure RNG to survive them and the payoff isn't there.

I had great success so far with mass teleport from libby. TP all termies in chaos's face at turn 1 when they still have no overwatch, murder half of them with assault cannon, then mop up with everyone else. Alternatively can also jump behind the fags with ASM and break the overwatch with melee.

Dayyālu

Arcane
I had great success so far with mass teleport from libby. TP all termies in chaos's face at turn 1 when they still have no overwatch, murder half of them with assault cannon, then mop up with everyone else. Alternatively can also jump behind the fags with ASM and break the overwatch with melee.

Those are all legit strategies, like Krak Missile sniping or countering with your own autocannon termies at range (give it to a high AP brother, cast Haste, enjoy the sustained fire lowered AP costs), the thing is that's a slog for very little reward. You do it if you are a completionist, there's no real reason to. AM are a tad risky, as if you can't get all of them quickly or miss a Reaper Autocannon chaosies stock Power Armour isn't gonna cut it and you gonna lose a dude. And of course there's Vortex, it's not like you can use Chaos equipment so no reason to keep it in our dimension.

Also, I guess you got to Chaplains and Captains and Techmarines and Apothecaries and realized that the Chaos Gate devs sometimes had planning failures in what the hell do with some classes.

"ACTIVATE LEVER BROTHER TECHMARINE"

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
No kaptin and chap yet (except chaos chaps), but yeah, techmarine and apoth are hilariously useless. I expected apoth to at least count as a mobile medkit for termies since they can't carry any of their own...

The fact that you also can't upgrade their shitty default weapons with plasma pistols or at least master-crafted bolts is mind-boggling too.

Dayyālu

Arcane
No kaptin and chap yet (except chaos chaps), but yeah, techmarine and apoth are hilariously useless. I expected apoth to at least count as a mobile medkit for termies since they can't carry any of their own...

Uh. I forgot. Does the Special Action button for Apocs (free endless heal) not work on Termies? Yeah, everyone barely uses it because 1-2 medkits per Battle Brother is incredibly more flexible, but it should work on Termies. I also forgot if Techmarines can repair vehicles, but if you are so far in the game you'll probably only have the Dread mission left and that's not useful.

Regarding Chaps and Capts, they don't have special abilities and their equipment is fixed. Make of that what you will, particularly compared to Termies or God forbid Libs. BALANCE AND PROGRESSION.

The fact that you also can't upgrade their shitty default weapons with plasma pistols or at least master-crafted bolts is mind-boggling too.

Think being a OCD completionist and trying to level up Apocs by finishing off wounded enemies with the peashooter.

Yeah, OCD and Chaos Gate in a single package. Wonderful.

Dayyālu

Arcane

It's in the manual. I legit don't remember if it works with Termies tho.

MQhejl7.jpg

USE THE COMPUTER BROTHER TECHMARINE (seriously, they could have given him a Armour Repair skill making him endlessly valuable considering that it's armour that gets shredded in lategame missions as you can't improve it in any way). Am I truly complaining about the choices of a 20 years old game? Sure I am.

wN8TFFb.jpg

Also second edition art

:negative:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It's in the manual.

After the mission where you have to rescue the abducted bruva, I just assumed the apoth awesome button was the same useless thing as techmarine's, with application only for mission objectives :lol:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
thunder hammer termie in chaos gate is so hilarious

park him next to a mob of zerks, end turn and watch the whackamole unfold

BLOOD FOR THE-

*whack whack*

BLOOD FOR-

*whack whack whack*

*whack whack*

*whack*

pentakill

before that chain axe shall beat me down i'll die with my hammer in my hand

Also, the last random missions with Chaosies Termies are BY FAR the hardest missions in the game because Reaper Autocannons termies with sustained fire will kill stock power armour marines like nothing and even crush your termies. It's pure RNG to survive them and the payoff isn't there.

Btw, if you CTRL (or SHIT, I don't remember) Click on several of your dudes, you can make a combined attack where they get a number bonus against the target.
The AI never does it, but it is much safer than engaging strong opponents with your Assault Marines.

But dropping a melta bomb on the opposing termie, then jumping back to safety is probably "safer".

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
o-oh my, dis multi-melta :shredder:

also, daemons appeared from the warp when my back was turned and slagged my dread :argh:

pretty fortunate that the vehicles are so fucking terrible in this game so thats no loss at all

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
it seems my chaos gate playthru has come to an abrupt end

a random mission on a forge world map refuses to end despite the fact that i'm p. sure i killed every enemy, i even counted the corpses to see if i didnt miss a cucktist hiding somewhere behind a barrel - 5 cucktists, 15 csm, 5 zerks, 1 sorc, 1 chap, 1 hound, 1 pink horror

took bruva librarian on a teleporting trip through the entire map, looked into every crate and bunker, nothing there

and i overwrote my pre-mission hq save despite never doing it before just in case

sigh

Beowulf

Arcane
it seems my chaos gate playthru has come to an abrupt end

a random mission on a forge world map refuses to end despite the fact that i'm p. sure i killed every enemy, i even counted the corpses to see if i didnt miss a cucktist hiding somewhere behind a barrel - 5 cucktists, 15 csm, 5 zerks, 1 sorc, 1 chap, 1 hound, 1 pink horror

took bruva librarian on a teleporting trip through the entire map, looked into every crate and bunker, nothing there

and i overwrote my pre-mission hq save despite never doing it before just in case

sigh

That's how the Dark Gods tempt you.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I experienced savegame corruption too. the pre mission save might have been corrupted too anyway.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I experienced savegame corruption too. the pre mission save might have been corrupted too anyway.

I don't think it's savegame corruption, since I did the mission in one go. It just refuses to end after wiping out every enemy on the map.

Dayyalu suggested this might be a bugged spawn where something got spawned inside a map prop, so I'll try to give the autocannon 3 AoE 1000 damage and multi-melta/vortex grenade terrain destruction and try to go on a wanton demolition spree, but if something has spawned inside a wall or something, obviously that won't do me much good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom