Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Barkley 2 - the new Codex vaporware champion

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
If I were in charge of this I would have just pocketed all the money from u virgin nerds and bought a house full of hookers.

Good on them to keep working on the game I guess, hope the memes are worth it !

Derk Derm

Literate
Perhaps I'm necroing this thread a bit, but I feel it's prudent to inform all Gun's & B-Ball Enthusiasts present that the chief pixel artist, frankie (frankiepixelshow on twitch), has been more-or-less regularly streaming himself working on the game roughly three days a week for the past year or so.

Things I've been able to glean from skimming through a bunch of the vods (I'm too busy to do screencaps of everything fuck off):

- Cave diving adventures are confirmed, with X114JAM9's animations being based on the swimming animations the turtles have in that one Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game for the NES.
- Looks like most unique projectiles and projectile animations are done, unique firing sounds and exact weapon balance considerations are still being tweaked.
- Seems there's still a ton of enemy and various NPC animations left to do because Frankie is insane and wants to do a ton of enemy and various NPC animations.

- The duergars are one of the main antagonists of the game, be careful around them! The vod whence this upcoming screenshot was procured was showing an early version of the start area, there's another one where frankie goes through it and adds a bunch of props, details and dead bodies for the true proper experience of escaping lethal death as an abnormally muscular diaper egg baby. I'm assuming the dialogue is final.
48d2d7fe64.jpg

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I've done my best to heckle cb in shoutbox whenever possible, but it doesn't seem to be enough.

I think he needs some... admin motivation.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I've done my best to heckle cb in shoutbox whenever possible, but it doesn't seem to be enough.

I think he needs some... admin motivation.

Yep. As soon as I see him in the shitbox: "Barkley 2 when?".

Considering how long this game has been in development, it had better be Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Legend of Zelda, and Zombies Ate My Neighbors all rolled into one and amplified, and with the most compelling and entertaining blaxploitation/Space Jam theme of all time.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
It would be nice if this and Octopus City Blues could at least do postmortems sharing what got created so that we could see. :/

almondblight

Arcane
It would be nice if this and Octopus City Blues could at least do postmortems sharing what got created so that we could see. :/

Octopus City Blues had a demo a while back, and I think they're planning on releasing another. They've also been pretty open about their development - they went to the KS backers a while back asking if they'd prefer a refund, the game to be split into two, or a delayed release (backers mostly chose the last option).

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer

Octopus City Blues had a demo a while back, and I think they're planning on releasing another. They've also been pretty open about their development - they went to the KS backers a while back asking if they'd prefer a refund, the game to be split into two, or a delayed release (backers mostly chose the last option).
Every OCB update seems to be written in the goofy in-character style, and while I appreciate the artistry of that, at some point I guess I would prefer that the curtain be pulled back and someone talk straight about what's happening. I do hope that the games get finished, but I can't say that what's now visible is materially different from what was visible during the Kickstarter (during the OCB Kickstarter they said they were on the cusp of a playable demo, and Barkley 2 anticipated releasing the game in less than a year -- both of them showed a lot of assets, and the current materials also show a lot of assets). Since my own projects always take many times as long as I expect, I haven't given up all hope; but since most of my projects get abandoned, I'm not very optimistic either.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
At some point I would prefer that the curtain be pulled back and someone talk straight about what's happening.
I don't expect a public "straight talk" ever, in fact I'd be disappointed. Have you tried private messaging? eric__s is right there, maybe he will tell you secrets behind closed doors.

almondblight

Arcane
Every OCB update seems to be written in the goofy in-character style, and while I appreciate the artistry of that, at some point I guess I would prefer that the curtain be pulled back and someone talk straight about what's happening.

You might ave missed some of the more straight talk updates. Here's one from the beginning of this year. Excerpt:

Last update someone asked me to make an estimation based on the current pace and progress. I've always been wrong about these estimations. It's easy to be optimistic and to make plans that don't pan out. There's always the gut feeling that if we work hard then we can get something out soon. This feeling is strongest when the year starts, because initially the year feels like a long time, and wonderful things can always happen. But more often than not, bad things end up happening and you repeat past mistakes. Instead, I went over past and current data. How much did we do each year? How much work are we doing now? Exactly what is left?

Long story short, at our current pace, we're looking at a late 2019 release. Yes, that's right, 2 more years for a project that's already 3 years late. It was a bit of a surprise for me as well, because I want to believe that we can do better. The two main reasons it's taking forever are (1) it's big, detailed and ambitious, and (2) we have a small team working part time. I'd rather not give up on (1) even if it means taking more time, but at the moment I can't do much about (2). Hopefully that can change in the future, but for this estimation let's assume we'll continue with the same pace. Instead of wasting your time with apologies and excuses, let's be pragmatic and come up with a workable plan.

2014 was by far our most productive year. There are several reasons for that, but the main one is actually focusing on getting the demo out. It took us a lot of time and energy, but it was also a deliverable and specific goal. For 2018, I want to have specific deliverable milestones as well. I considered cutting the project in half, but people (rightfully) didn't like the idea. That's why you're going to get not one, not two, but three demos in 2018! The demos will have different audiences and goals, but ultimately we want to speed up our development while also getting feedback and communicating more with you. Here's how it'll work out:

It goes on. The latest update makes it sound like the plans have changed again, but I still think they've been decent about giving people a sense of what's been happening with development and what the future plans are. The earlier post were they were asking people if they preferred splitting the game in two or refunding the money is also one of the more "straight talk about what's happening"-type posts

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wait. I never heard of Octopus City Blues until this moment. Is there something I should ... ? I can preorder that but ... ? Should I pretend I just never ... ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom