Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I need a suggestion, and current rpg quality banter

guguma

Novice
Hi All,

I do not post here much but lurk a lot as my only trustworthy source on RPGs. I have some spare time in my hands and I want to play an RPG, however I do not know which one to go to. I have played many of them, some of them many times indeed, now what I would like to do is tell you guys about what sort of RPGs are my favourite, and my thoughts on current kickstarter RPGs, which RPGs I played etc. I wonder if if you could name me one RPG that I have not played and I would enjoy greatly. I will include a TL;DR in the end.

What I Like:

I hold the classic opinion that the finest RPGs ever made are Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate II, and Fallout 1-2. I have already played these to the degree of memorizing them and I do not intend to attempt a re-run.

Runner-ups would be, Witcher 1 and 3, and I hated the 2nd game. KotOR 1-2, Vampire the Masquerade, Neverwinter Nights 1-2 (vanilla's were horrible but the 2nd expansions are great in both), Arcanum was nice but I do not remember much about it, Icewind Dales were fun but are lacking in RPG elements. And a special mention of Mass Effect, not because it is a great RPG but because I greatly enjoyed the setting, and how the major threat of the Reapers have been implemented in this game.

I also played Divinity Original Sin 1-2, they were interesting and fun, but I wold not grade them as top level RPGs since the setting is kind of meh, not immersive. I played the Might and Magic Series back in the day 6-8, they were fun then, but I relauched one of them a awhile ago and it did not grasp my attention.

In terms of tactical RPGs Jagged Alliance 2 is my favorite.

Mount and Blade, is a good sandbox, but it is a sandbox not really an RPG with a proper story attached to it, and it gets boring after a while.

What I Do Not Like At All (Mostly Bethesda Nonsense):

Long story short, I am more about the setting and storytelling in the RPG,

I played the Bethesda games Morrowind -> Skyrim and was bored to hell with all of them and did not complete them, I find the writing and storytelling bland, so bland that it gets comical, and played Fallout 3 for 30 minutes and New Vegas a little bit, although much better than Fallout 3 I realized it does not hold a candle to Fallout 1-2.

Dragon Age, I played the origins, finished it and regretted it, because the word "darkspawn" is so deeply chiseled in my memory, possibly occupying much needed brain cells that will be greatly needed in the future.

Umm, yeah that is pretty much it...

My Opinions on the New Kickstarter RPG, what is the word here, Rebirth?

1. Pillars of Eternity 1 (Backed this)

Massive disappointment, I did play through it, I really wanted to like it, but did not. The setting seems forced, characters are not even remotely interesting. I felt like Josh Sawyer attempted to play Tolkien rather than trying to come-up with an enjoyable RPG experience. I understand that he worked hard creating a setting, with all that stupid pseudo-welsh language and all, but my opinion is that if the energy was expanded on making more interesting characters, questlines, more immersive locations, it woud yield a much better game. It was straightforward and boring, no surprises at all, no moments of awe and wonder. I can't explain it very well,oh wait "plastic" is the word here,but it was lacking something, the locations (towns, etc.) felt very plastic.

I am so disappointed in fact, I am quite hesitant to start PoE 2. I am highly skeptical that they did a better job since Sawyer was busy taking pictures of his iPad with a file showing his new glyphs for his pseudo language. Seriously mate, fuck your runes and glyphs.

2. Torment: Tides of Numenera (Backed this)

I enjoyed it more than Pillars, it was very interesting at first, everything felt mysterious and there were many surprises involved, but then I realized that they practically released an unfinished game. The main story got wrapped up in a nonsensical manner, rushed. Oftentimes I also felt that Torment was trying "a bit too hard" to be interesting and cryptic. Come on guys, you should have realized by now that sometimes less is more, there is no need to poke my eye with mystery and cryptic stuff ALL THE TIME.

3. Tyranny

Strangely I enjoyed this much more than Pillars of Eternity as well. It was short, it was fun to play, but not worthy of a rerun.

4. Wasteland 2 (Backed this)

I had high hopes for this, launched this 3 times and never proceeded further than the Ag Center/Hightower? quest. Tactical RPG with abysmal combat where everything runs right in front of your face in a single turn. Why can't they simply implement the combat mechanics in Jagged Alliance 2?

What I have not played, what I have in mind?

I am not really sure, I did not play Kingdom Come Deliverance, I do not have great expectations but it might be fun, There is also PoE 2, which I do not have great expectations about. The very old school games in the top 70 list might be good, but I really do not feel the mood for it.

I do not know if there are new isometric releases either.

So can someone suggest me a gem that I have been missing?

TL;DR,

I played most of the great ones, I like a good storyline where I can be invested in my character and NPCs, Bethesda studios suck, Pillars of Eternity 1 was lame, new kickstarter games are disappointing. Is there a gem out there that I have been missing?

Thanks in Advance.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
So can someone suggest me a gem that I have been missing?
- Dark Souls 1-2 if you have a controller. It's action-rpg, but then so is VTMB. Environmental storytelling might surprise you.
- Deus Ex, since it's VTMB's sire.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Since you apparently never bothered to play a CRPG released before 1997, you have the entire Age of Incline and the entire Golden Age to choose from. In particular, try Wizardry and its successors, Ultima III: Exodus, Dungeon Master & Chaos Strikes Back, Pool of Radiance and the other Gold Box games, and Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Since you apparently never bothered to play a CRPG released before 1997, you have the entire Age of Incline and the entire Golden Age to choose from. In particular, try Wizardry and its successors, Ultima III: Exodus, Dungeon Master & Chaos Strikes Back, Pool of Radiance and the other Gold Box games, and Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss.
Are they all gems in your opinion? He's asking for a gem. And he needs something modern from what I understood.

vazha

Arcane
TOEE, Prelude to Darkness, Age of Decadence, Game of Thrones RPG, Inquisitor - I envy you, I wish I had something good to play right now, instead of working.

Martyr

Arcane
seconding every recommenadtion this far. games like Champions of Krynn are surprisingly easy to get into and they're still a lot of fun! first thing I thought when I played Ultima Underworld: damn, those controls suck! but it only took me ~2 to 3 minutes to get comfortable with them and after that I was constantly blown away, and now UU has become one of my all time favorites.
Darklands and Ultima 7 are also pretty amazing. Geneforge 1 and 2 are great, very creative setting.
and if you didn't like Morrowind+ you might want to check out Battlespire, because it's entirely different.
good newer stuff would be Serpent in the Staglands (for setting/atmosphere), Age of Decadence (setting/story), Elminage Gothic (modern Wizardry-like) and Expeditions: Conquistador (setting/combat). nothing else comes to mind.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey, guguma .

You did not mention if you tried PoE's expansion (White March). I strongly encourage you to do that, since it was a much more enjoyable experience for me, after I was disappointed with vanilla PoE (which is also better now after its years of patches).

Here is Codex' review: www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10683

Other than that, since you liked storytelling in RPGS, I recommend Shadowrun: Dragonfall (really good) and - to a lesser degree - Shadowrun Returns (also decent). I have not played Shadowrun: Hong Kong yet, so I do not know about that one.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have some more modern suggestions.

- Underrail. You say that you liked Jagged Alliance, and from what I've heard, it's very similar. Underrail is definitely one of the best games that I've ever played. It has great art, fun combat, a bunch of different character builds, an amazing setting that will leave you wanting more, cool characters, and is very polished.

- The Banner Saga 1 & 2. It's very casual, and didn't really require a lot of investment. Look up some basic information and videos about the game, and you'll be able to get a feel for whether or not it's the kind of game you'd enjoy.

- I enjoyed The Sunless Sea. It's a rougelike, ship based "RPG". It's very unique, and I can't be arsed to explain it to much. It's very text heavy and has a slow pace, but I found the world very interesting and if you can manage to get into it, very rewarding.

- 80 Days, a game based loosely off of Jules Verne's novel. Again, pretty unique and hard to explain; just watch a few videos on it and you'll get it. I enoyed the writing and it was fun for a good few hours.

Underrail is a gem, the rest are games that I liked but wouldn't classify as gems. I'll post a few more if any come to mind, it's late.

Molina

Savant
Your life won't be worth anything if you don't play Arcanum. Be warned, the honey in your futur daily life will taste like ashes.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
You did not mention if you tried PoE's expansion (White March).
What exactly did you enjoy, the story or the mechanics? Asking for a friend.
Both were an improvement over vanilla, IMO, which makes the expansion a well-balanced package that I have not seen since Baldur's Gate. White March is best compared to Tales of the Sword Coast, but with more content.

The story isn't exactly PST, but it does a good job of creating context for the gameplay and keep the player interested. There is some mystery to discover, it all makes sense (as far as fantasy plots go) and there is a surprising amount of reactivity (with a well-placed time skip to show you some of the consequences).

Gameplay is also better - encounter design is finally pretty good, challenge is just right, quests are interesting and multi-layered (resolving the ogre crisis was one of the highlights for me) and soulbound items finally make unique gear cool again.

All the gameplay improvements from patches make vanilla content more enjoyable too - I actually went ahead and completed all the bounties that I had originally ignored and had great fun doing so.

I was prepared to skip Deadfire after playing PoE originally, but since White March, it is a must-buy for me... when they finish releasing all the patches and expansions. I really regret getting PoE on release, I should have waited for the complete game.

guguma

Novice
Great suggestions overall, I am actually inclined to try Underrail, and maybe a rerun of Arcanum. Have any of you tried Tower of Time? That also attracted my attention as a more casual option.

Hey, guguma .

You did not mention if you tried PoE's expansion (White March). I strongly encourage you to do that, since it was a much more enjoyable experience for me, after I was disappointed with vanilla PoE (which is also better now after its years of patches).

Here is Codex' review: www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10683

Other than that, since you liked storytelling in RPGS, I recommend Shadowrun: Dragonfall (really good) and - to a lesser degree - Shadowrun Returns (also decent). I have not played Shadowrun: Hong Kong yet, so I do not know about that one.

I did not try the expansions. I am not even sure if I need to restart the game to enjoy the expansions. I will probably give PoE 2 a try when they release everything and after I read more reviews.

Your life won't be worth anything if you don't play Arcanum. Be warned, the honey in your futur daily life will taste like ashes.

Well, there you go.

Also Age of Decadence, Underrail.

Translation:
I hated it but I don't want to get gangraped by fanbois.

:troll:

Hehe, no seriously the only thing I remember from Arcanum is P. Schuyler and Sons, and that I was way too overpowered late game that I had a billion action points and just cut down everything in a single turn. I do believe that Arcanum deserves a rerun, I am not sure if I have that much time available at my hands though.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Some of Spiderweb Software's games - Geneforge I haven't played but is always spoken of as having good factions, philosophy and story/setting.

Avernum 1 has good story and setting. The setting is moderately original, the story is bog standard 'Agent of the King saves the Realm', but what makes both story and setting really good is how thoroughly fleshed out they are; they end up feeling fantastical AND realistic/internally consistent at the same time

To the OP, you sound like a storyfag, so I think you already covered most of the great story-driven rpgs: PS:T, Witcher games, Arcanum, NWN2:MotB, BG Saga. Maybe try Betrayal at Krondor if you can handle the aged 3D graphics.

But what you really should do is expose yourself to the great gameplay RPGs. Piranha Bytes games (Gothic, Gothic 2, Risen 1, ELEX), Ultima Underworld 1/2/Arx Fatalis, Vulture for NetHack, Deus Ex (with GMDX mod), System Shock 1/2.

Round out your repertoire.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom