Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LOL bras, it took me 10+ yrs to realize why private servers

RolePlayer

Augur
are no longer a thing in online multiplayer computer games.

You remember when you could host a custom game, choose the map, the rules, name the title of the match to attract certain players, and even host your own private servers within the game?

Publishers like EA/Activision/Blizzard/etc. use algorithms in the match making that get people addicted to the game (e.g. going on win streaks, pairing new players with experienced players to carry them, and to make them jealous of people's gear, etc.) so that they buy more microtransactions.

I always wondered why in the world did these private servers/custom hosted games cease to exist ... now i know why ... it only took me 10+ years to figure it out.

Like everything else with these billionaire jews .. just follow the money .. it explains the insanity

Activision Patents Matchmaking That Encourages Players To Buy Microtransactions
https://kotaku.com/activision-patents-matchmaking-that-encourages-players-1819630937

Last edited:

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
There's also stuff like the persistent progression mechanics that seem to show up in every online game now, systems which are often tied to microtransactions; publishers don't want customers joining a custom server that allows them to grind that stuff out quickly.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There is also publisher dont want people playing their old games when rhey need more sales more for their new game.

It's underhanded so much that they artificially cut a game's lifetime so people think they are obselete and buy the annual stuff instead

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's also a lot harder to sell map packs, DLC weapons, you name it if players are playing on private servers. Matchmaking algorithm stuff is sort of minor compared to wow if we allow custom servers they'll just be able to ignore half of the microtransaction stuff that is baked into regular solo queue.

Imagine if people were playing on custom servers, getting no experience points, and having all the pay to win equipment banned forcing defaults only.

Ocelot

Learned
Publishers like EA/Activision/Blizzard/etc. use algorithms in the match making that get people addicted to the game (e.g. going on win streaks, pairing new players with experienced players to carry them, and to make them jealous of people's gear, etc.) so that they buy more microtransactions.

It's more about making sure that new players won't have to face extremely stronger players repeatedly and abandon the game. Microtransactions come much later when these players feel comfortable enough to buy their shit. I don't see how making a game temporarily easier for newbies is "addictive". Do you even know what an addiction is?

PorkBarrellGuy

It's more about making sure that new players won't have to face extremely stronger players repeatedly and abandon the game. Microtransactions come much later when these players feel comfortable enough to buy their shit. I don't see how making a game temporarily easier for newbies is "addictive". Do you even know what an addiction is?

It's not making a game temporarily easier that's addictive so much as it is the rush of winning with their new toys/abilities/whatever.

Ocelot

Learned

It's not making a game temporarily easier that's addictive so much as it is the rush of winning with their new toys/abilities/whatever.

So if I steamroll the enemy AI on an RTS I am an addict?

So if I steamroll the enemy AI on an RTS I am an addict?

Whoooosh, watch that airplane fly overhead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom