Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What makes an RPG matter?

What components in an RPG are most important? (not presented below in any particular order)

• Excellent character creation

• Exploration and the discovery of the unknown

• Its overall fun factor

• Meaningful choices and the consequences of those choices

• Attractive graphics and pleasant sound

• Deep and challenging combat

• A storyline that is well-written and intelligent

• Social or socio-political tie-ins to the real world and the challenges we face today (kc)

Results are only viewable after voting.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Select which components matter to you most in an RPG that makes it significant and meaningful or otherwise "good".

Please only select which items matter to you the most.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I want the game to look good, and sound good. Sorry, I am abit of a graphics whore, but at least make the graphics and art tasteful and timeless.

Just as important is the character creation, the overall story, writing, world building and the C&C that lies within the worldbuilding and story.

Lurker47

Savant
I think the thing that makes RPG "matter" the most is their individual style and tone. That's what made Fallout a household name. What makes RPG's "matter" and what makes them good seems like two different things to me. One's about influence and the other is about polish.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Are you saying that an RPG that is "good" is one that doesn't matter?

I suppose an argument could be made that there are certain RPGs that are so bad that they are significant in RPG history, such as Ultima IX. But I think it's pretty clear what the poll is asking.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Before we go anywhere in this thread I think we oughta define what an RPG is first.

And not only that... we should also define for which type of RPG and for which audience.

To sum it all up: in order to answer what matters in an RPG we first need to:
- define what an RPG is
- define to which type of RPG the question relates
- define to which audience the RPG relates

Define, Define, Define...

And then we can come back to the original question, and talk about what matters in that RPG.

So... let's get started

:thumbsup:

Nephologist

Novice
I would add /development to the 'excellent character creation' option or add a new option 'excellent character development'

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I might as well reveal the real reason I started this thread:

HCGnAbx.jpg

Triggered the fuck out of me.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Very easy, a game should be fun first and foremost. Hence, the gameplay takes precedence over everything else. Either the game succeeds at being fun to play, then its good, or its not fun to play, then its not good. Goes for every game, goes for every RPG.

Hevnknekt

Educated
I think 'Excellent character creation' should have been 'Excellent character design'. That should at least have been an option. Memorable characters (not just your own) are such an essential part of the experience, and they're one of the main reasons why we become nostalgic about RPGs.

Moonrise

The Magnificent
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
One word: agency. Sounds simple, but it's deceptively complex. You need: world building to establish context; a hook to rationalize party formation; a tangible threat to provide motivation; simulation to maintain verisimilitude. On and on and on like that, so that you know what type of person your character is, why they make the decisions they make, the impact those decisions have, and why it matters. If the world has no reactivity, and fails respond to you in any meaningful way, it's garbage. Pitting digital miniatures against each other is not role-play in and of itself. Combat is one conflict resolution method among many. And it's a mistake to think conflict is inherent to decision-making. You won't always incur resistance.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Ok, joking aside... I agree in that C&C (choices & consequences?) matters.

If choices have consequences then it's good, but if they have no consequences or if all choices have the same consequence, then it's shit.

Totally reminds me of Dragon Age Origins, when you start as an Elf and then suddenly this guy from the Warden appears and wants to recruit you:
and I chose "nope". I believe there were 4 answers, and the dialogue continued at least 3-4 times between the characters - and you could always "nope" him - but no matter which answer you chose, it always ended up the same. That was ridiculous. And when the guy said, that he would "chain you up by force and bring you to Ostagar" - you can still "nope"- and what happens? Nothing. Not even a fight. Next thing is a cutscene everyone arriving in Ostagar and be happy... Fuck this thing. Just remove this fake-C&C altogether...

(Actually the hope of good C&C was a reason why I wanted to do a second playthrough, but after realizing it's all fake-C&Cs, I lost interest).

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
In the end the only thing that really matters is Its overall fun factor

A game can be great even if it lacks good combat (for example Ultima Underworld), a game can be great without excellent character creation (for example Gold Box games). The same with all the other options.

Plisken

Learned
this is one of those really dumb "pick one!" challenges where the only actual sensible answer is "they all matter".

Plisken

Learned
actually this one:
Social or socio-political tie-ins to the real world and the challenges we face today (kc)

doesnt matter at all and is definitely an option for people who frequent bathhouses and truckstop toilets. That said, it would be nice for there to be less nerd writers in video games and more with actual life experience or some study of real history, so as to build worlds and characters that actually have some depth.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Do you agree with his statement that C&C has never mattered?

Yes. Like a good story, C&C is a bonus, but it was never a deciding factor in a good game. A bad story/writing can ruin an otherwise ok game, though, like D:OS1. Tranny has C&C up the butt, but it's a terrible game. I guess it depends on your definition of "matters". It also depends on you definition of C&C, but I'll assume we are talking about narrative C&C. Good RPGs with C&C -> Fallout 1, AoD, Deus Ex (not an RPG, but you get what I mean). Good RPGs with no or trivial C&C -> all other good games you can think of.

In the end the only thing that really matters is Its overall fun factor

Pathologic is not really a fun game in the conventional sense, yet it's great. Fun is too subjective in the most fundamental way, so that really can't be a factor for talking about games with other people, other than just stating you found it fun.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The best games are the ones with an interesting setting, characters, and narrative that keeps me thinking about it long after the game. I'm sorry, but I don't really give a fuck how "fun" a game is mechanically, because that shit is always going to be more boring then hanging out with friends, working out, athletics, etc. Because of that, a game that focuses on being fun with its mechanics, is always going to take a back seat for me in life and in memory. Games that make me think however, stories and characters that fascinate me and make me want to make me learn more about them, that's the kind of shit that makes me text "I'm busy" to invites, or skip out on a workout. Of course, it's important that the game is fun and the graphics are good enough to facilitate my enjoyment of the story, but those are just there to facilitate the story.

Even in Underrail, a game I love and one that nails the combat, I'd often try to avoid it and was focused on advancing the story/quest. Yeah, it's satisfying when you finally beat that tough encounter, but it was always just something that I had to do so I could advance the story.

Call me a story fag, I don't give a fuck.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
To clarify - what is C&C referring to here?

Is it purely a branching storyline from character quest and story choices that gives the player a unique playing experience, or is C&C also quests and outcomes limited by character race/class/sex/alignment?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom