Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Speaking of Isles of Terra, due to technical problems with my video card on my main PC that hopefully will be resolved in a week, I'm using an emergency laptop I have and was thinking of trying MM3. I generally know what to do and how to play, but I have some questions. Is there a point to making a custom party for a first playthrough or is the default one good enough? Is there a minimap where the logo appears in the top right of the screen? Or is the map that comes up with M the only one there is?

Lacrymas

Arcane
I just remembered another question I had. I know there is HQ music for the game, how exactly do you enable that? I have the GOG version.

I used Munt, and set the install to use roland lapc-1

Quick edit of the dosconf for that game and set to whatever the mixer is listed in dosbox. Run the dosbox from the game directory and do the command "mixer /listmidi", and change the dosconf midi section to use that variable.

Boom

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I just remembered another question I had. I know there is HQ music for the game, how exactly do you enable that? I have the GOG version.
Or you can use the install.exe to change the settings, the Roland sound is fantastic for MM3
Oh and btw I noticed that I use my laptop 90% of the time to play the games I enjoy; mostly emulated games like Ultima Underworld, MM3, Daggerfall, Darklands, MM3 with the odd more modern game like Planescape Torment, Gothic, System Shock 2, Dark Souls and Scarface... I hardly use my “gaming” desktop save for a few games

T. Reich

Arcane
Decided to give M&M6 a spin again, easy time with a full mage cheese party.
It just doesn't get much better than this (until it's time to hit the memory crystal dungeons .___.).

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Lacrymas

I'd at least reroll the knight if it's not too late, he has the "worst" stats of the bunch.

If you want to use his character portrait, just give his items to someone else, delete him, then reroll a new one, when you get good stats, don't forget you can switch the numbers on the stats you want.

Also, both the starters hirelings get Lloyd's beacon later on as well as your mage Kastore, it's great to have at least 2 LB casters in your party.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Is it normal in Might and Magic 6 to be level 15 and not have done any of the council quests yet?

I would say so, yeah. I don't exactly recall the details, maaaybe Loretta's quest can be done earlier.
I'm in the middle of her quest TBH. It just took getting an NPC to cast Town Portal basically for the most part.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I think I can safely say that the Dark path is the more frustrating one in MM7.

The most ridicilous thing is that you get punished for role playing evil, by being thrown in jail, by the leader of the evil faction, if you do enough evil deeds for him!
This really pisses me off. It's one of the rare chances in RPGs to play an evil party, and yet you have to be so bloody lawful. It's not like I used the Armageddon spell or slaughtered any peasant in sight, just using needed force.

And there is a bug with the Lich promotion quest. After killing all enemies in the Walls of Mist, and using all three keys nothing happened, so I had to use an editor (MM7CHE is very easy and user friendly).

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

octavius

Arcane
Patron
No Explorers, Pathfinders and such that reduce traveling time in MM6?
Or were those NPCs introduced first in MM7?

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Is it normal in Might and Magic 6 to be level 15 and not have done any of the council quests yet?

I would say so, yeah. I don't exactly recall the details, maaaybe Loretta's quest can be done earlier.
I'm in the middle of her quest TBH. It just took getting an NPC to cast Town Portal basically for the most part.

Umm. You can travel to each and every coach station... using the coaches.
Yeah but I get annoyed at trying to figure out the schedule. Town Portal is much simpler.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Man, this is so decline:
Gea3Gr2.jpg

"Probably heard about me"?
Isn't seeking you out the first thing one is supposed to do when taking the Dark path?

Do battle with the Devils? What devils? Haven't seen a single devil, so what is out motivation?
We heard that the Armsmaster Grandmaster and a dragon cave was located in the area.

Rescue Roland?
Have you gone soft and/or insane?
What happened to that fun loving, mustache twirling villain?

I guess it's too much to hope that it's an impostor.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Lol, Archibald, stop being such a pussy. He had no such familial love for his brother in HoMM2.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Now I remember why I quit MM7 the first time I played...
Demons with a long range ability to drain your casters' entire mana pool, combined with casting Meteor Showers. How do you defend against that combination?
Flying high makes Meteor Shower useless, but it also means death or heavy damage from falling when suddenly empy of spell points for the Fly spell.

Gregz

Arcane
Demons with a long range ability to drain your casters' entire mana pool, combined with casting Meteor Showers. How do you defend against that combination?
Flying high makes Meteor Shower useless, but it also means death or heavy damage from falling when suddenly empy of spell points for the Fly spell.

Shrapmetal > all

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ignore the ones outside and go directly in the hive. If you are in turn based combat you can fly up and down to avoid projectiles. I never had any problem with the devils and i believe that the ones in MM6 could do the same magic drain.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Sharpmetal is nice if you have spell points.
But if I were to fight them I would use Dragon Breath on the Captains, and Starburst on groups of lesser devils.

I found out that I had to resort to Invisibility.
The devils are much more manageable inside when they can't cast Meteor Shower, and the Fireballs are relatively harmless.

As for the extremely cheesy (but then one may of course argue that cheese is a big part of the M&M diet) tactic of flying up and down in turn based to evade spells, that's like going to a prostitute; I'm not that desperate.

Anyway, I seem to have more problems with free roaming Devils and Titans in MM7 than I had in MM6.
My characters are now level 62.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom