Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption - adventure-RPG from the creators of Quest for Glory

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
If that figure is right, does that mean they spent $1.2M on top of the Kickstarter ~$600k?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Freezing time helped only with the perception,lockpicking and a little bit of magic.
Which means you had a few additional hours for fighting and training combat. Plus you're forgetting that exploring and moving around takes time too, if it's not frozen - which means engaging in fewer battles per day than you did. Normally, between the elective and the exploring most of the mid-game I didin't have a lot of time to train at all, and when I did it all went into lockpicking since area progress is tied to it.
That is a fundamental problem of the game,exploring is great without a time.

If that figure is right, does that mean they spent $1.2M on top of the Kickstarter ~$600k?
LoL have no idea where the money went,nothing in the game is worth 2 millions.

V_K

Arcane
The way I interpret his post, it's what they need to break even and have enough to make a sequel. And then you're forgetting the Steam share and Kickstarter share. I'd say they probably spent around 800k to a mil on Hero-U in total.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Steam takes 30%. $35x50kx70% is about $1.2M. I believe KS and PayPal are like 10% total, so add to that another $450k or so. Strong budget.

I don’t think it’s factoring next game because they also said: “If we had priced Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption at $10 or $15 - and yes, we considered it - this would be a one-and-done game with no sequels. We would have to sell 200K copies just to pay off our development costs and provide a down-payment on the next game.”

200k@$10=$1.4M after Steam cut. So I gather $1.2M to break even, $200k “downpayment” on next game? (Since they think of game development in mortgage terms, I assume a “downpayment” would be 10-20% of total budget. If a sequel in same engine would run $1-2M, I’m guessing the first game was near high end of that range? Quality costs.)

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Yeah, I hope they can get 50,000 sales at $35. It can be a tough sell to the audience that would play the game. But he's right on some accounts, pricing it too low can put you out, especially given their production cost. We launched QFI at $19.99, which I wasn't keen on - I was comfortable at launching $14.99, but the publisher we had working with us said we could charge $20. You can always speculate in hindsight, I suppose, but I wish we'd sold it at $14.99

I do hope this can sell enough to do more.

Bt

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I feel like 15/25/35 are awkward pricepoints. Not sure that’s true for other consumers but I’m more used to 9.99/19.99/39.99.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
LoL just fucking LOL!!!!

12.png

The only proper woman and it is hidden...
:negative:
If i only knew i wouldn't have wasted my time on the retarded feminist pirate bitch.

PS:It is not a fucking tranny,just diversion.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Hit 204 simultaneous players this weekend, and that's without the massive press push that's coming. Not too shabby at all.

Corey Cole ... says they're receiving about 50 press review code requests per day
Crud, I found the post and it turns out it's "about 50 press and curator key requests a day." I hope it's not one of these: https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/5cy0jt/heres_what_a_steam_key_scam_looks_like/
Sigh: https://www.kinguin.net/category/52955/hero-u-rogue-to-redemption-steam-cd-key/

Poor Coles. I hope they don't hire a "game marketing firm" next. :/

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Fuck i am butthurt now,fuck you and fuck your stupid game!!!!

I did all the retarded tests,did all the events and saved the retarded shitty school,stole from the weaselly faggot for the teacher and tolerated all the self righteous bullshit! Ooooh i will be becoming thieve and will fuck you up you whiny bitch of a teacher,couldn't even take a single joke on the final test! FUCK OFF CUNT!!!!

23.png

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:despair::despair::despair:
:badnews::deadtroll:

Ohhh gods just "finished" that retarded game,the ending is the the most retarded shit i have seen in my life. Just fuck off!!! Maybe those people should try opening a bakery instead of making games. Fuck that shit,even ME3 didn't had such a shitty ending. I will now tell you about it,be warned spoilers!

Just fuck that shit in every hole that it have. Soo i continued to play the game even after that joke that took away the trophy of "Rogue of the year". I was all "Don't care about that shit,let just finish the game." So here i am at the point of getting the Raven statue and having an option. So i was all ok lets try different things. I given the statue to my uncle and decided to become a thief king first,oh well fuck you some horror comes out from the castle and kills us all because the game have to make that choice for us even if my protagonist have max useless skills. I am all "Uhgg ok that is a shit ending lets try something else.". I run with the statue and go next day to school to see who gets the retarded award. Everyone there says how good i am and how much i have help them with their life and how i am BFF with everyone in the school,everyone nominates me. And i decide to try out another thing,proclaim my self as a thieve king,mock everyone and flip the teacher.....well as a reward for my skills i get shanked in a dark alley by a pretender that wants to be the king. I am all "LoL that is retarded,this game keeps on giving shit!". So i finally try to be a good goy and take it seriously.....well the teacher flips out that i am a shitty person because i fucked up the last test and i am clearly and evil thieve. A writing comes up saying that all actions have consequences....you know like saving and helping all the people in the castle and being their friend,nah making a joke answer on a retarded objectified test is far more important. Then the game tells me load and try again as if the game makes different autosaves every day and hits at you that it is a good idea to have different saves....yeah no,my save game from 5 game days ago is gone. Sooo what is the ending....well the same as the last one,get shanked in a dark alley for the statue.

I was all about middle passing grade for the game until i got to the ending. Now it feels like pure shit not worth my time,won't be playing another game by those people. I put up with all the tedium like the slow moving,even slower combat,endless repetition of same environment,retarded puns and pointless interactions and endless grind for useless skills. I was just expecting a decent ending to all the interesting side stories and the characters interaction. I didn't expected that getting the wrong answer on a test could have such retarded consequences. And yes the skillz are pretty much useless,you use only once the climbing skill,never use throwing one,magic doesn't make any difference when it come to the number,moxy i never used,luck didn't had any effect on the game in any way and i checked, Charm could be said that was useful,combat defence tool use and fitness were the only useful ones.

I would recommend for people to watch an hour or two of the gameplay loop and if they get bored to not buy the game. There are a lot better adventure games out there,Quest for Infamy,Heroin quest,A Tale of Two Kingdoms and a few other. The game lacks a lot of things and it is incredibly repetitive....MMO levels of grind. Still the character writing,side stories and the first two dungeons were interesting.

V_K

Arcane
Maybe the game just noticed that you cheated on timer :mixedemotions:
you use only once the climbing skill
Twice - the ladder to gazebo and in sea caves. I think the latter one might be avoidable if you kill the serpent, but I didn't check it.
never use throwing one
Not true. First, throwing is a combat skill. Second, there is one check for it in the sea caves (though might be avoidable as well).

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Maybe the game just noticed that you cheated on timer :mixedemotions:
Nah,if they were able to do such coding work they would have made a lot better combat.

the ladder to gazebo
LoL i never knew that they were teaching climbing for retards. I can climb a fucking ladder. Oh also you use climbing for the transition screens between different levels,i go climbing level ups a few time between the training area and the dorm.

Also i killed the serpent and it dropped a really good weapon,use it till the end of the game. Oh and the dagger that i got from the rat queen is useless because you don't get a chance to use it.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Thx for the review, V_K
Will buy based on that.
It better be good. I will blame you personally if not.
:troll:

edit:
God, what an awful lot of awful puns.
Right up my alley. :love:

... And my first game over, that cat was my undoing indeed. :lol:

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nah,if they were able to do such coding work they would have made a lot better combat
I wouldn't be so sure. Bloodlines notices if you cheated on character creation, and we all know just how awesome combat in that game is.
How does it notice?
If you happen to have maxed out stats after character creation(which is possible on new game+) Smilin' Jack will cuss you up about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom