Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heresy: There is no reason to expect a 2D-isometric engine again. But now we do have one...

Dexter

Arcane
So much bullshit. So little reality.
What? How did at least 2 people get to dig up this old thread anyway?

Edit: I'm rather sure all the information is accurate, I don't know what you are taking issue with. "isometric" is only when a=b=c

Last edited:

croitav

I hate 3D graphics
Posting in a majestic thread.
I bet all witcher / dos / wasteland 2 / fanboys agree with op.

Lurker47

Savant
1) A 3D engine is a 2D but better: A 3D engine is of course automatically a 2D engine with more projections possible allowing you to navigate through a lot of perspectives and giving you more tactical choices. To ask for less is either nostalgia goggles, sheeple-tude or plain retardedness.
Or maybe just cost-effective. Most games don't need 3dpd shit.

Ranarama

Learned
Using a 3d engine to do 2d is a good way to get a whole bunch of pixel aliasing issues. Much like when you use vector fonts - you need a whole bunch of hinting to make it not look like complete garbage.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Using a 3d engine to do 2d is a good way to get a whole bunch of pixel aliasing issues. Much like when you use vector fonts - you need a whole bunch of hinting to make it not look like complete garbage.

Actually the opposite is true , because these new fangled temporal anti aliasing methods would FINALLY work as intended thanks to an orthogonal camera, given time to resolve subpixel detail for a long while , with >4x supersampling kinda result .

Last edited:

Ranarama

Learned
Actually the opposite is true , because these new fangled temporal anti aliasing methods would FINALLY work as intended thanks to an orthogonal camera, given time to resolve subpixel detail for a long while , with >4x supersampling kinda result .

You misunderstand what pixel hinting does. The aim is to avoid blur entirely, not have more accurate blur.

tritosine2k

Erudite
You misunderstand what pixel hinting does. The aim is to avoid blur entirely, not have more accurate blur.

"Non blur" Non bandlimited 2D has a name, pixel art,

games with non-pseudo aesthetics have anti aliasing either way, and the correct term there is subpixel precision , not "accurate blur" , and 2D (pre rendered 3D) or true 3D makes no difference in this respect.

Except orthogonal 3D is an edge case because subpixel precision (too) can be resolved exactly over time on geometry because of zero delta between frames.

Plus just about any operation on sprites needs band limiting anyway.

Last edited:

tritosine2k

Erudite
The point is , sharp edges constitute pseudo aesthetics nowadays ( blocky , pixel art)

not a real reason to choose 2D over 3D .

Besides in my world hybrids do exist, and I get that sharpness is related solely to sample rate , it's not engine specific.

Last edited:

tritosine2k

Erudite
CHPrHh1UUAA2qmO.png

Egosphere

Arcane
Oh boy.

Please dear retard, that beautifully crafted background has nothing whatsoever to do with the engine. It has to do with talented artists. A talented artist can USE A 3D ENGINE TO MAKE A BETTER AND MORE BEAUTIFUL BACKGROUND.

I'm on the fence when it comes to 2d vs 3d, but that one statement is 100% false. 2d gives you more scope for a still background than 3d, since you have complete control and can paint each individual pixel if you so desire, whilst 3d is invariably dependent on its physics engine. There's a reason 3d renders go through hours of touch-ups and post processing in photoshop before they're good enough to become illustrations.

Raapys

Arcane
The only technical difference between a 3D engine and a 2D engine is projection. Turn the camera in a 3D engine to orthographic mode and you have a 2D engine right there. Place the map background texture on a huge cube and done.

What you guys are talking about is orthographic camera with isometric textures vs isometric camera with a 3D mesh world.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom