Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The game and the scam meister are long forgotten. Only people that care about it are a bunch of delusional fans,a butthurt shitty indi dev and drama lovers in niche forums like the codex. The world and the industry doesn't give a rat's ass what happens to the game. People were saying that it will be a scam 6 years ago. There are more than enough good games that come to the PC for me to see this as a PC flagship or something similar. For me games that show PC superiority are games like Aurora,Dwarf Fortress,Paradox games and a few others.

Yeah, most people already accepted it as a scam I guess.

The only thing Star Citizen would accomplish at that point is being the biggest example against crowdfunding which is unfortunate because it is the only way some niche games are going to be created in the future, barring 8 years development time.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The game and the scam meister are long forgotten. Only people that care about it are a bunch of delusional fans,a butthurt shitty indi dev and drama lovers in niche forums like the codex. The world and the industry doesn't give a rat's ass what happens to the game. People were saying that it will be a scam 6 years ago. There are more than enough good games that come to the PC for me to see this as a PC flagship or something similar. For me games that show PC superiority are games like Aurora,Dwarf Fortress,Paradox games and a few others.

Yeah, most people already accepted it as a scam I guess.

The only thing Star Citizen would accomplish at that point is being the biggest example against crowdfunding which is unfortunate because it is the only way some niche games are going to be created in the future, barring 8 years development time.
Well i wouldn't go that far,SC is a whole different beats. There quite a few Crowdfunded games that turned out ok. But as a whole the well is drying out,people are becoming a lot more sceptical to it than before.

Freddie

Savant
Star Citizen Supporters Can No Longer Receive Refunds

Since December 2017, CIG has been ignoring all refund demands. One backer went so far as to take CIG to court, and apparently lost, claiming that the judge did not want to hear anything about the Terms of Service’s (TOS’s) “conscionability or lack of consideration.”

And according to Derek Smart, an independent game developer, CIG has been revising Star Citizen’s TOS since 2015 to quietly remove all backer rights, removing CIG’s obligation to be held financially accountable for backers. In fact, they don’t even have to deliver a final product.

SOURCE
This is interesting. So judge's stance was that CIG were within their legal rights to later agreement between them and their customer(s) after the deal was made.

I really hope plaintiff presented his case poorly, because otherwise this is the road to hell.

Latelistener

Arcane
because otherwise this is the road to hell
You didn't know?

gQQc.jpg

Irata

Scholar
Considering how long this game has been in the oven, I'm surprised that EA hasn't released a new Wing Commander, Xwing or at least "hi-res" remakes of the older games. This game supposedly has made a crap ton of money and I would have thought the EA bosses would have at least attempted to get a piece of that.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Considering how long this game has been in the oven, I'm surprised that EA hasn't released a new Wing Commander, Xwing or at least "hi-res" remakes of the older games. This game supposedly has made a crap ton of money and I would have thought the EA bosses would have at least attempted to get a piece of that.

Those companies have no idea what they are doing. They have one playbook they know and they stick to it religiously, incapable of conceiving their business apart from it. It's the same reason nobody has made a Skyrim clone, despite the gargantuan amount of money a game like that has made. It's that they don't even understand what Skyrim is, and why it is popular. They think making their games "open world" is enough, showing how clueless they are.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It has made "crap ton" of money cause it's offering something bigger and better to PC gamers and sci-fi lovers.
Yeah, they sure are doing a good job selling pictures of fake space ships for incredible amounts of money while providing very little to show for it. Bigger and better than any monetization EA could ever dream of.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2

Those companies have no idea what they are doing. They have one playbook they know and they stick to it religiously, incapable of conceiving their business apart from it. It's the same reason nobody has made a Skyrim clone, despite the gargantuan amount of money a game like that has made. It's that they don't even understand what Skyrim is, and why it is popular. They think making their games "open world" is enough, showing how clueless they are.
They can't figure out how to make a shitty hiking simulator in a shitty engine with lots of marketing?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

They can't figure out how to make a shitty hiking simulator in a shitty engine with lots of marketing?

Pretty much, yes. In fact, you just lost them by using the word "simulator".

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
it's offering something bigger and better to PC gamers and sci-fi lovers.

Didn't know that cinematic cockpits with a lot of buttons was all the rage among sci-fi fans this days. I always though they/we are more of a good story fans. Life is a truly a learning experience.

PS: Also there is a difference to shill 40-60 bucks on a kickstarter that will come out even if disappointing and shilling 20 grands for a bunch of useless ships for a game that will never come out. You dear sir are the avatar of liquid retardation!

Grokalibre

Savant

It has made "crap ton" of money cause it's offering something bigger and better to PC gamers and sci-fi lovers. HD versions of old games will not even make them half of the money SC has already made.

giphy.gif

The fidelity!!! The groundbreaking tech! #notacult!!!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

It has made "crap ton" of money cause it's offering something bigger and better to PC gamers and sci-fi lovers. HD versions of old games will not even make them half of the money SC has already made.

giphy.gif

A new playable species,for first time i see a rabbit space race. Clear incline!

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

giphy.gif

I didn't know they had bugs in-game.

:outrage:

#ObviouslyAscam #ScamCitizen #Hashtag
Keep the faith, citizen. I'm sure the next patch will fix everything and not just introduce more bugs. All that promised content is just around the corner.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Chris Roberts confirmed that water is wet. Did anyone ever believed that SQ42 is coming out in 2018? And it won't be out in 2019, and it needs a miracle to have it in 2020.
They have yet to show an actual gameplay loop of sort. An actual vertical slice with working enemy AI and the likes.
I firmly believe that SC as a game other than just "here is a deathmatch sandbox map and two places to gawk at" will never be released at this point. Even games that were in development hell in the past had more of what is called a vertical slice, the ability to show case a gameplay loop of sort across a few levels, much earlier in dev than SC has done. Heck, the infamous Duke Nukem Forever had an actual, although incomplete, build of sort when it was canned.

They are putting aside SQ42 while focusing on the MMO/online bit of the game.. which is the hardest and most unlikely to ever reach completion. They promise epic space battles with giant ships crewed by many human players that you could board into in FPS mode but the game engine can't even really handle what is currently being thrown at it, much less the sort of thing they are aiming at.

I'm baffled anyone with any sense, much less anyone who actually has an inkling of an idea about software development, could think this game is anything but a continuously running scam that will keep on going until there's no money left to squeeze out of the ignoranamuses. I would be surprised if anyone at CIG actually expected this to release.

Hell, when I played Freelancer back in 2003, despite what it couldn't do, it did a lot and a lot of the fans of that game want MORE of that.

Freelancer only got released because Christ Roberts got kicked out of the lead position and was brought back as a mere 'consultant' title aka holding no power over the project course anymore. You see, Freelancer had a publisher. And that publisher wanted to earn money and release something that actually worked. If you like that game you should be thanking Microsoft for reigning it in.

You know who is in a similar sort-of position to Microsoft with regards to Star Citizen? The fucking batshit fanboys who keep buying new ships for multiple grands worth of hard earned dollars. The money keeps flowing and he doesn't need to change anything about his attitude and has no one to tell him to fuck off. He even has people like you claiming any criticism is decline of PC gaming. If SC is the hill for the master race to die on then let it die.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Has anybody looked into the people who are buying those ships at those absurd prices? I'd like to see what crazy looks like in real life.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom