Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aliens: Colonial Marines

Squid

Arbiter
Maybe it was both though
From what I heard it wasn't just AI but the AI was horrendous, so both and probably some more on the side? The fact this typo made this game even worse than what it was is cracking me up.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Programming sucks .Testing sucks. QA sucks.

Am programmer, can confirm. Nothing like spending eight hours looking for a bug only to find you made a stupid, hard to spot typo in some private function.

And even if each commit is reviewed it can sometimes take a dozen eyes before anyone notices.

Urgh.

I would suggest following the defensive programming guidelines for flight software because they are good .

They're also boring as fuck to do but I guess it's better than your plane crashing. No way in hell anyone in game dev is ever gonna come defensively. Half are dilettantes copy pasting shit together, the other half doesn't have the time nor are they paid enough.

About QA, some of you are clueless . There is no QA. I mean, it exists, on paper . Done by illegal immigrants, desperate college students and outsourced Indians that don't speak English .Then, when they miraculously do find and report an issue it's considered "won't fix" because nobody ain't got time for this shit.

Companies are often aware of many bugs they just don't consider profitable to fix . Especially expensive Enterprise software.

Last edited:
While I'm sure it makes sense for the half-human corporatrons, it's weird that you'd invest millions in a game and then consider testing to be a waste of money. You can use the suckers who bought the game on release, but it's such a needlessly dangerous bet.

Zer0wing

Cipher
It's less shit sure but still shit. The human AI is still retarded, the story is still a spit in a face to any Alien fan and level design is still boring, for example.

Deleted member 7219

I heard from many trustworthy sources that there is nothing good about Aliens: Colonial Marines, so I see no reason in playing it. There's been enough disappointment around the Alien franchise.

My headcanon is the following:

Alien - Alien: Isolation - Aliens - Alien 3 (Workprint)

I heard from many trustworthy sources that there is nothing good about Aliens: Colonial Marines, so I see no reason in playing it. There's been enough disappointment around the Alien franchise.

There's no Alien 3

Deleted member 7219

There's no Alien 3

Hey dude, I sympathise, but have you seen the workprint version?

Deleted member 7219

Hey dude, I sympathise, but have you seen the workprint version?

Theatrical and assembly only

I don't know what the assembly cut is, the Alien Quadrilogy Blu-ray calls it the restored workprint version, and I thought it was very good. Although, I've always liked Alien 3, even the theatrical version. When I saw that I thought, "Wow, Alien, but with fucking amazing Shakespearean dialogue and English actors. What is not to like?". As an adult, I can appreciate the coherency behind a movie, and it isn't anywhere near as good as Alien or Aliens. But I still like it, and the workprint version deals with some very important plot holes, gives more time to the characters, while also improving the ending.

If you'v seen the workprint and still don't like it, then fair enough, your opinion is valid - this is the Alien franchise we're talking about, and it is acceptable to demand perfection.

EDIT: Just found out the 'Assembly Cut' was retitled 'Restored Workprint' on the Blu-Ray. They fixed some audio problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what the assembly cut is, the Alien Quadrilogy Blu-ray calls it the restored workprint version, and I thought it was very good. Although, I've always liked Alien 3, even the theatrical version. When I saw that I thought, "Wow, Alien, but with fucking amazing Shakespearean dialogue and English actors. What is not to like?". As an adult, I can appreciate the coherency behind a movie, and it isn't anywhere near as good as Alien or Aliens. But I still like it, and the workprint version deals with some very important plot holes, gives more time to the characters, while also improving the ending.

If you'v seen the workprint and still don't like it, then fair enough, your opinion is valid - this is the Alien franchise we're talking about, and it is acceptable to demand perfection.

EDIT: Just found out the 'Assembly Cut' was retitled 'Restored Workprint' on the Blu-Ray. They fixed some audio problems.

Theatrical is a 2/10 (can't rate it 1/10 because Ressurrection exists), Assembly is 3/10. The characters in this movie are terrible. The CG and the Alien design are trash.

I mean, it doesn't help Alien and Aliens are two of the best films of all time, but Alien 3 didn't need to be in the same level to be enjoyable, Predator 2 is not as good as Predator, which isn't as good as Alien/Aliens, but Predator 2 still is a very enjoyable ride.

Between Alien³, Ressurrection, AvP and Requiem, Prometheus and Covenant, there isn't a mediocre movie that you can enjoy with your brain shut off, they're radioactive waste, even Predators looks like a masterpiece compared to them.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I very much like Alien 3 (restored cut). In my experience people who hate it tend to hate it for what it isn't, rather than what it is.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Programming sucks .Testing sucks. QA sucks.
Good QA can exists, but requires a large investment and good support from the higher-ups, which is the case where I'm working, most of the team is experienced, some of them have already spent years testing the software and know it very well and there are as many testers as devs. And they sit 20 meters from us, so there's no communication problems. But from what I've seen, such situtation is not common.

Companies are often aware of many bugs they just don't consider profitable to fix . Especially expensive Enterprise software.

I'm working on Enterprise software, sold to US gov and American corps (mostly). The bugs signaled by the clients are usually fixed, but some of those found by QA will be closed as won't fix because the chance of it occuring are remote enough or it's not a big enough of a problem to bother.

Irata

Scholar
I had hopes that this game would have ruined Gearbox (or at least the con-artist, hack who runs it) and given Homeworld to Sega. Sadly, even with Battleborn's utter failure, he's still going.

Executr

Cipher
https://gearboxsoftware.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=117

Programming Copy Editor

Gearbox Software is looking for a capable and driven full-time engineer to review all code for typos.

Responsibilities:

• Review all code for typos. Just that.
Desired Skills and Experience:

• Enjoys finding typos.
Required Skills and Experience:

• Click apply and pass the rigorous questionnaire located on the application.

:lol:

Click on the button to apply. Gotta admire their sense of humor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom