Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me some golden age rpgs

Vlajdermen

Arcane
By that I mean late 80s and early 90s. I haven't gotten around to playing any rpgs from that era yet.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The Faery Tale Adventure (1986, Amiga)
Dungeon Master (1987, Amiga or Atari ST) and Chaos Strikes Back (1989, Amiga or Atari ST)
Pool of Radiance (1988, PC), Champions of Krynn (1990, PC) and the other Gold Box games
Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss (1992, PC)

sin

Educated
I would recommend Betrayal at Krondor, Ultima series, Darklands and Wasteland. I am not really into blobbers, but if you are or don't care, there's also plenty to pick from - Might and Magic, Wizardry, Ultima Underworld and Eye of the Beholder.

I am also fond of jRPGs from that time, for instance FFVI and Chrono Trigger are definitively worth a shot.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Dungeon Master
Ultima V
The "Gold Box" games
The Magic Candle
Dark Heart of Uukrul
Wizardry VI
Disciples of Steel
Ultima Underworld and UU 2
Darklands
Betrayal at Krondor
Lands of Lore

Vlajdermen

Arcane
I would recommend Betrayal at Krondor, Ultima series, Darklands and Wasteland. I am not really into blobbers, but if you are or don't care, there's also plenty to pick from - Might and Magic, Wizardry, Ultima Underworld and Eye of the Beholder.

I'm not a fan of blobbers either. I've heard lots of great shit about BaK, so I'll check it out. Thanks, dude.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
- Might & Magic III : Isles or Terra (1991 )
- World of Xeen (Clouds of Xeen 1992 + Darkside of Xeen 1993 )

What else ?

Well, actually, i played Ishar III years ago, it was good as far as i remember, the trilogy is available on gog.

I also remember playing a bit of Drakkhen with a friend back in the days, felt good enough, not sure if it's still playable nowadays though but it's also on gog.

Also, if console oldies are your thing, Shining Force I & II Megadrive/Genesis versions (from the early 90s ) is a quite good series, a lot of secrets and different characters (even secret characters), secret promotions, a huge replayability if you enjoy it as you can make get rewarded for promoting some of the worst characters whom turn out real beasts at some point.
Well, the story is childish, it's a Tactical RPG with a pretty basic AI but somewhat, it's fun.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
genesis-1393775619.jpg

mdphantasystar4.jpg

latest

529f85a79e9ef.jpg

Final_Fantasy_IV.jpg

Final_Fantasy_V_Box_JAP.jpg

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Betrayal at krondor is by far the best from that era
dark sun 2nd best
ultima 5/6/7 average- good depending what you like and if you like the combat
might and magic 4/5 average
some gold box games are ok, most are crap( por and cotab are good)

rest suck

or i didnt play them

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom