Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are some of the major lore disparities in BoS?

Lurker47

Savant
There's the origin of the Brotherhood, the intelligent deathclaws, and what else exactly (I've yet to play it.)

Are they particularly egregious (on par with Bethsoft) and do you think some of it could be implemented and accepted in any possible half-decent future Fallout installment?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
s-l300.jpg

f440fda04e8c2415b41c3a01476a63996c80c502_hq.jpg

fallout-bos-2-concept-08.jpg

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh, you're talking about Tactics. That's not so bad then. In fact, it's a pretty good game. About the lore disparities, there's the whole robot antagonist thing I suppose, but I don't remember much of the specifics. I do remember that there was a lot of relatively dumb shit though. And intelligent deathclaws have been canon since 1998 :obviously:

Lurker47

Savant

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Is there a digital copy of the strategy guide?
I don't think a strategy guide was even made. GOG is usually very good about including these kinds of accessories, and they don't have it. If you haven't figured it out yet, the picture you're quoting is of the manual of another game.
What did you think I was talking about?
The game that aweigh posted pictures of. Steer clear of that one if you know what's good for you.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Oh, you're talking about Tactics.
What did you think I was talking about?
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Beastlords

People don't like these guys. Vault 0 and the Calculator are the main things along with the intro stating some wrong information on the BoS and a few of the guns used. It's semi canon.
Do you think the dumb shit should be called non-canon or reincorporated somehow?

Fallout 3 and 4 (NV to a certain extent) are dumb shit and have already incorporated it, so yes, it should be brought into the fold and Chicago and the Midwest BoS should at least be referenced more directly. Their Zeppelins have been already.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
The game that aweigh posted pictures of. Steer clear of that one if you know what's good for you.
Ah, I thought Tactics was called BoS in some areas. What the fuck is BoS like then?
Tactics' full name is Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel. This game is just Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. It's a mess, yeah; that's 21st century Interplay for you.

BoS (or PoS as it was so lovingly nicknamed) is a bad action game which is only vaguely related to the canon Fallout setting.
(NV to a certain extent) are dumb shit and have already incorporated it, so yes, it should be brought into the fold
2 is pretty dumb too. What Tactics lore did New Vegas have in it though? I never noticed.
I'm curious about this too. Or did you mean 4? I seem to remember that it acknowledged something from non-Beth Fallouts, because that was a pretty surprising move. That might have been New Vegas, though.

Lurker47

Savant
BoS (or PoS as it was so lovingly nicknamed) is a bad action game which is only vaguely related to the canon Fallout setting.
What did it have in it?
I'm curious about this too. Or did you mean 4? I seem to remember that it acknowledged something from non-Beth Fallouts, because that was a pretty surprising move.
Nah, 2 was pretty silly. I feel like Westside in New Vegas had some mentions of the Midwest. That and most of the DLC's.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
I don't think a strategy guide was even made. GOG is usually very good about including these kinds of accessories, and they don't have it.

There is a strategy guide for Fallout Tactics. I happen to own it along with one for Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas.

I feel like Westside in New Vegas had some mentions of the Midwest. That and most of the DLC's.

Caesar mentions the Midwest BOS, telling the Courier that the Midwest BOS scribes don't even know the name of Maxson any more.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
I tried looking it up on Google on a site that I know that has many game strategy guides, I could only find the ones for FOBOS, Fallout 3, and Fallout NV.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
I tried looking it up on Google on a site that I know that has many game strategy guides, I could only find the ones for FOBOS, Fallout 3, and Fallout NV.
Yeah, I didn't find Tactics either (you meant that you can find the one for the PS2 game right? Fucking inane naming policy, thanks Herve Caen) The ones for 1 and 2 are out there, though.
The former requires that you register an account at the site to get more than a 5 page preview, but it looks legit.

Cael

Arcane
To the OP:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/fallout-tactics-any-tips-from-the-pros.98518/

I did a blow by blow "what I did in St Louis" there. If you want any other missions, just yell in that thread.

Lore-wise, we have:

Intelligent, hairy deathclaws. Reptiles don't have hair, and people picked up on that. Intelligence was also a Enclave FEV experiment thing, so there is that.

Beastlords was pretty much made up and silly. If that special radiation existed in Mardin, it would have existed before the bombs. Nuclear bombs don't convert an entire area to emit a special radiation that gives a single thing like that. Especially not only after 20 years of exposure. Mutations don't work that way. They were better off using FEV or something similar.

Most of the rest is pretty OK, in a hand-wavey sort of way. Not the best, but certainly not the worst example of bad writing I have seen. Then again, the whole game had pretty bad writing in general, but it is a tactical game, not a RPG magnum opus, so I wasn't expecting Lord of the Rings.

Play it for what it is: a squad tactical game using elements from the classic Fallout series.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Fallout BOS was substantially worse then anything beth have made.

Might be the worst console game I've ever played.

Unless you mean Fallout tactics, which made some retarded choices like adding an army of terminator robots and ak 47's but was otherwise an average tactical 'lite rpg'. nothing special but playable .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom