Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do people hate Oblivion so much?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I haven't played Oblivion in many years, but IIRC I actually liked the "HDR" effect. I don't remember it being eye-bleaching like a lot of bloom effects are now. I could be wrong though, it's been a while.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
I haven't played Oblivion in many years, but IIRC I actually liked the "HDR" effect. I don't remember it being eye-bleaching like a lot of bloom effects are now. I could be wrong though, it's been a while.
The HDR and Bloom are separate variables for the same graphical option.

nigga please.

MXdbABT.jpg

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
Unless you rob display cases in a mage/jewel store or some fancy place. You get a lot of gold.
Though in the end, unlocking a master lock and getting stuff you shouldnt have access to early on feels much more rewarding than dumping stat points on a skill and roll a dice until you 'win'.
Except for the fact that it's all level scaled anyway. So you don't get access to anything cool or better beforehand. You get 2 gold and a potato.

There is a lot of OP loot to be found in display cases in mage/jewel shops or castles.

Wayward Son

Unless you rob display cases in a mage/jewel store or some fancy place. You get a lot of gold.
Though in the end, unlocking a master lock and getting stuff you shouldnt have access to early on feels much more rewarding than dumping stat points on a skill and roll a dice until you 'win'.
Except for the fact that it's all level scaled anyway. So you don't get access to anything cool or better beforehand. You get 2 gold and a potato.

There is a lot of OP loot to be found in display cases in mage/jewel shops or castles.
lol no there isn't. It'll drop down to a normal iron sword or maybe one with a weak fire enchantment.

The Avatar

Pseudodragon Studios
Developer
I remember being amazed by the trees when Oblivion came out. Consider that Neverwinter Nights 2 came out in the same year and looked a lot worse. Perspective, people.

The biggest gripe I have is the main story. You're basically running around being an errand boy while Martin gets all the credit. In the end-game, there's a giant ass dragon, but you don't get fight it. Instead, you get to watch an NPC turn into a dragon and kick it's ass. It would have been a lot more engaging if they made the player be the heir to the throne instead of some NPC.

Cael

Arcane
I remember being amazed by the trees when Oblivion came out. Consider that Neverwinter Nights 2 came out in the same year and looked a lot worse. Perspective, people.

The biggest gripe I have is the main story. You're basically running around being an errand boy while Martin gets all the credit. In the end-game, there's a giant ass dragon, but you don't get fight it. Instead, you get to watch an NPC turn into a dragon and kick it's ass. It would have been a lot more engaging if they made the player be the heir to the throne instead of some NPC.
Your biggest gripe is one of the biggest gripe about the game. And that is a big problem. When you have a RPG where you are NOT playing the protagonist, you better have a far better story than Oblivion had. No one wants to play how the Innkeeper of the Prancing Pony was taking a dump while Frodo goes running off to Mt Doom.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Not sure if dedicated thread really needed but answer me this pls.

Does Bethesda really need to go all the way to simplify Oblivion THIS much to gather so much sales or it's just because of growing market, 7th gen consoles and already established TES series? I mean people were perfectly fine with Morrowind not set in a generic setting or stat driven enough to drag Bethesda out of grave. What did Todd really accomplished here other than alienating older fanbase?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
What do you mean? He managed to make more people play it, therefore he made a better game. Isn't that how it works?

Zer0wing

Cipher
Well did HE managed to do anything or it's just because of growing market itself and established rpg franchise and bethesda could still make better games story and gameplay wise?

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Well did HE managed to do anything or it's just because of growing market itself and established rpg franchise and bethesda could still make better games story and gameplay wise?
It's GFX and fisher-price sensibilities without a doubt drew in the "console crowd". A couple friends of mine loved the game (playing at our buddy with the sick rig, never touched a keyboard in their life) because "it's fun to hit the dead bodies with a hammer, THEY FLY AROUND!". They both bought it within a week or so. Yeah.

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
Wayward Son You can definitely get loot of high value, like soul gems and enchanted stuff, or scrolls. You either get good stuff or money to buy some.

Being an errand boy is no different as other TES games... You're telling me you wanted the PC to feel even more like a special snowflake? Like Skyrim? Cant tell if sarcastic or....

Zer0wing Cant really say they have alienated an older fanbase, just those who bought the previous title. Like I have said before actual TES fans do not hate Oblivion. I have yet to see a person who praises Arena/Daggerafall to hate on Oblivion.

Last edited:

Okagron

Prophet
Cant really say they have alienated an older fanbase, just those who bought the previous title. Like I have said before actual TES fans do not hate Oblivion. I have yet to see a person who praises Arena/Daggerafall to hate on Oblivion.
What a bunch of shit. I've seen a lot of people that love Daggerfall but hate Oblivion, even from close friends and my own brother. Your perception bias bullshit is not an argument for anything. And why wouldn't anyone that likes Daggerfall hate Oblivion? Because Oblivion is the absolute extreme of Daggerfall, in terms of everything.

More and more i believe you didn't actually played Daggerfall and you are just a butthurt retard that loves Oblivon. Prentending to like Daggerfall to get "cool points" with the Daggerfall fans.

Alkarl

Learned
I watched this video the other day that kind of tracked the decline of the series; there was a part in it where the narrator briefly touched on now lead designer Todd Howard. He mentioned how Todd joined the team around the time they were making Redguard, talked about all the people that left the company around Morrowinds development, and then cuts to a clip of Todd saying Redguard was his favorite TES game. That made an imense amount of sense to me.

I never played Redguard, but from what I understand it's more of an adventure style game. Not an rpg, or not something we'd likely associate with rpgs.

Link:
https://youtu.be/46gaz6veVNQ

Squid

Arbiter
I thought people were upset with Cyrodiil's landscape being different than what it should have been on the release of Oblivion? Or do those just happen to be ALL Morrowind fanboys that never touched Arena or Daggerfall?

Wayward Son

Wayward Son You can definitely get loot of high value, like soul gems and enchanted stuff, or scrolls. You either get good stuff or money to buy some
Soul gems are not high value unless they already have a soul in them and at low levels the enchanted gear is most likely to be a iron sword that does an extra 5 points of fire damage at max.
I have yet to see a person who praises Arena/Daggerafall to hate on Oblivion
Arena and Daggerfall are two of my favorite games. While I don't necessarily hate Oblivion, I can at least recognize how it is worse than the other titles in the series.

Zer0wing

Cipher
It's GFX and fisher-price sensibilities without a doubt drew in the "console crowd". A couple friends of mine loved the game (playing at our buddy with the sick rig, never touched a keyboard in their life) because "it's fun to hit the dead bodies with a hammer, THEY FLY AROUND!". They both bought it within a week or so. Yeah.
I dunno. Havoc physics doesn't have any effect on writing, maybe on dungeon puzzles. Your friends can still enjoy flying dead bodies in a better game. I know I did in New Vegas ripping apart NCR profligates with Anti-Materiel rifle crits. +M

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
I thought people were upset with Cyrodiil's landscape being different than what it should have been on the release of Oblivion? Or do those just happen to be ALL Morrowind fanboys that never touched Arena or Daggerfall?

That would be those who closely followed the development. In the end that is a reason to be disappointed by the game, not hate it.

Cant really say they have alienated an older fanbase, just those who bought the previous title. Like I have said before actual TES fans do not hate Oblivion. I have yet to see a person who praises Arena/Daggerafall to hate on Oblivion.
What a bunch of shit. I've seen a lot of people that love Daggerfall but hate Oblivion, even from close friends and my own brother. Your perception bias bullshit is not an argument for anything. And why wouldn't anyone that likes Daggerfall hate Oblivion? Because Oblivion is the absolute extreme of Daggerfall, in terms of everything.

More and more i believe you didn't actually played Daggerfall and you are just a butthurt retard that loves Oblivon. Prentending to like Daggerfall to get "cool points" with the Daggerfall fans.

Why would Arena/DF fans not hate Oblivion? Because that game offers massive improvements in many areas over these games. It also shares the same highlights, like the large scale world and the mature storyline. It also did some good fanservice overall like I said before.

Wayward Son You can definitely get loot of high value, like soul gems and enchanted stuff, or scrolls. You either get good stuff or money to buy some
Soul gems are not high value unless they already have a soul in them and at low levels the enchanted gear is most likely to be a iron sword that does an extra 5 points of fire damage at max.
I have yet to see a person who praises Arena/Daggerafall to hate on Oblivion
Arena and Daggerfall are two of my favorite games. While I don't necessarily hate Oblivion, I can at least recognize how it is worse than the other titles in the series.

Soul gems have a base value depending on quality, even without a charge. That sword with +5 dmg has like 3-4 base dmg so yeah, OP loot can be found. Small buffs can be very strong early on.

Like I said I have yet to see an Arena/DF fan hate Oblivion beyond simple criticism. Im sure that so far in 11 pages of comment there hasnt been someone who proved me wrong. Morrowind fans are the vocal minority.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
I have yet to see a person who loved Daggerfall and Oblivion not love all Bethesda games, or just troll Morrofags like you're attempting. The only missed features Oblivion brought back were houses, contextual music, and fast travel. The story was Mickey Mouse does Diablo 2 in fantasy Epcot. Some of the music is all that can be praised about Oblivion. Only a hack fraud praises Oblivion if they weren't 9 when they played it.

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
I have yet to see a person who loved Daggerfall and Oblivion not love all Bethesda games, or just troll Morrofags like you're attempting. The only missed features Oblivion brought back were houses, contextual music, and fast travel. The story was Mickey Mouse does Diablo 2 in fantasy Epcot. Some of the music is all that can be praised about Oblivion. Only a hack fraud praises Oblivion if they weren't 9 when they played it.

I dont love all Bethesda games. The only games from them I really like are F3/Oblivion/DF/Arena and I enjoyed Skyrim back when it was new.

It did more than bring back features, it added a ton of new ones. It improved the factions with hand crafted questlines.

I don't hate Oblivion, but I recognize that it's the weakest of all the Elder Scrolls games, not including the spin-offs.

Weakest based on what aspects?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom