Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

spekkio

Arcane
Hey, abnaxus .

Not everyone is exclusively into PC-98 hentai, mang.
What happened to you, BTW, you weren't as reterded in the past as you are now:

ITqqXMp.png

:?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
no, slow motion should not be normal. you probably aren't using the optimal settings for the emulator, as there are a bunch that are added with Cemuhook.

If you don't know what Cemuhook is it is "third party" DLL addition that you drop into Cemu folder and it will add new options to Cemu, and configuring those are the key for perfect BotW frame rate.

This guy covers cemuhook and its options:

Okay, thanks for the tip ! I just updated Cemu Hook. At first there was no improvement, but with tinkering with the options (especially that Fence Skip stuff) the framerate almost doubled ! It's now a lot more than "just playable". I'd buy you a beer if I could.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
there's also a Trainer (or "modding tool") out for BotW that lets you dynamically edit global variables like, for example, making weapons unbreakable or making them simply more durable. The same BSOD Gaming dude has a video on using it but you can just google "cemu zelda modding tool".

EDIT: here's a download link for the editing tool: https://mega.nz/#!BwNX0DZI!JPkLy__5bArd7MR-QLvvxRL4N2v9plbdLnIcAIYpONY

here's the video on it:

Personally I liked playing with unbreakable weapons because swapping them out every 5 mins got old real fast. At first I simply made them 2x more durable but after a while I just said, fuck it, and made them unbreakable.

Last edited:
Is it normal that Zelda BOTW is pretty slow on my I7 4790k ? It's okay in Wilderness area, but Link walks in slow motion in towns.
No, the game runs a solid 30fps on cheapish laptops and 60 on the latest desktop cpus.

Slow motion likely means your gamespeed is tied to fps which means you're not using the fps++ graphics pack. You should at least use the fps++, cemuhook and an apropriate resolution graphics pack(and maybe the 30fps graphics pack). You can also edit the fps++ graphics pack to activate an infinite durability and infinite amiibo cheat: https://www.reddit.com/r/cemu/comments/7sv1vz/botw_cheats_unlimited_revali_daruk_urbosa/

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Very nice Crunchy, didn't know about that method. (Editing the graphics pack directly).

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
The recording software killed the frame rate, but anyway this current july 12th build is by far the best P5 has ever run for me. However:

- There is still slight audio stuttering during scenes, however this is barely noticeable and sometimes if you're enjoying yourself you won't even notice.

- The emulator still "precompiles shaders" every few minutes, however the same as above applies: barely noticeable, and when you're engrossed in game play you will not even notice. (Especially if you turn the message itself of in GUI options).

- Performance is 100% in non-Populated areas, i.e. 30fps, however frame rate drops to 20fps in any area that has people/NPCs walking around like city streets, etc.

I'm on i5 7500 / GTX 1050 / 8GB RAM.

I actually played for a good 2 and a half hours for the very first time, getting 30fps in non-public areas and 20fps in crowded areas. Needless to say battles are 30fps as well. I'm gonna wait for more build updates but if I was hungrier for it I could definitely see myself playing it as-is right now.

(Using default settings except: SPU threads set to "1" and renderer set to "Vulkan").

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Nier: Replicant/Gestalt (i.e. Nier 1 on PS3) and Drakengard 3 both are running so-far-so-good at 100% speed, btw. I didn't play much past the first few minutes but there don't seem to be any issues with the performance for these 2 games.

Dragon's Crown also looks really good (it's the latest Vanillaware game afaik). Too bad the game itself is pretty bad.

Last time I tried RPCS3 it worked pretty well, but there were still some severe stuttering issues on a lot of games. I'll give it another try soon, I'm especially interested in Nier. I also have an i5 (running at 4.2ghz) and a 1070, should be good enough.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i'm using today's july 13th build and, on my i5 7500 / 8gb ram / gtx 1050, it runs butter smooth @ 1440p.

the only specific option Nier gestalt/replicant needs is be sure to enable in GPU tab the "write color" checkbox option. everything else on default, maybe change renderer to Vulkan, and limit your frame rate to 30 and you're good to go.

The game can actually run at 60fps, but since it was natively a 30fps game it will play at 2x speed with cutscenes out of sync, so be make sure fps limiter is set to 30fps for Nier, as the default "auto" option will let it go to 60.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
how does one download shit off github? I'm dying to try out this magical build but i can't find any download links on that site.

I gave the latest RCPS3 a try, I still get considerable stuttering and can't hold 60fps in Odin Sphere (some screens chug at like 50fps). My processor is very old by now (an i5 3570 running at 4.2ghz), so it must be that.

I tried running the EU version of Nier and it errored out. Couldn't find the US one.

I never used Retroarch, is it good? And is it easy to set up?

Yes and yes.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Dragon's Crown also looks really good (it's the latest Vanillaware game afaik). Too bad the game itself is pretty bad.
After Dragon's Crown in 2013, Vanillaware released four "scenarios" for Muramasa: Rebirth (the PS Vita port of Muramasa) and then released in 2016 Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir, which is a remake rather than a simple port of their earlier game Odin Sphere.

Also not sure why you criticize the gameplay of Dragon's Crown, since I don't know of any single-player beat-'em-up that does so well at mimicking the design of classic multi-player beat-'em-ups, on top of which Vanillaware added substantial RPG elements relating to character customization/progression and equipment. :M

The 'progression' elements are superfluous and only dilute the game instead of enriching it in any meaningful way. It leads to rote repetition and incentivizes grinding, which should never happen in games like these. Sitting in menus selling/identifying items drags the game down, it doesn't provide any actual benefit.

Dragon's Crown pales in comparison with Shadow over Mystara, for example, both mechanically and in terms of level design.

The game has a beautiful art style and cool music, though. It's not bad. Just not as good as the best arcade beat'em ups, Capcom or otherwise. Play, for example, Denjin Makai 2 or Undercover Cops for examples of truly great games of this type.

Last edited:

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Figures that as soon as i post that, the Async shaders got merged in.
If you just grab the latest build, you'll have it enabled from the get go.

Here's a crappy video I did to show it running without any cached shaders, for both RPCS3 and my GPU driver.

The demonstration uses Vulkan - both because its lower CPU overhead allows the game to still run smoothly while it compiles shaders, and because it takes longer to compile them than OpenGL, so the effect is more pronounced.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
deviating from the defaults:

CPU
PPU: LLVM
SPU: ASMJIT
Preferred SPU threads: 6
SPU Block Size: Mega

GPU
Aniso: x16
Resolution Scale: 200%
Framelimit: 60

Rest are all defaults.
I will mention that I am using a Threadripper 1950x, and I have gone out of my way to bind RPCS3 to the second NUMA node - that node is shared with my GPU and performance is considerably improved due to not needing cross-NUMA stuff.

I also normally use OpenGL.
I quite bizzarely find the framerate to be higher and more consistent with much faster shader compilation.
OpenGL also doesn't have that diagonal line of random colours that are present with Vulkan.

EDIT:
wEYT5wz.png

wqFg5rr.png

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The 'progression' elements are superfluous and only dilute the game instead of enriching it in any meaningful way. It leads to rote repetition and incentivizes grinding, which should never happen in games like these. Sitting in menus selling/identifying items drags the game down, it doesn't provide any actual benefit.

Dragon's Crown pales in comparison with Shadow over Mystara, for example, both mechanically and in terms of level design.

The game has a beautiful art style and cool music, though. It's not bad. Just not as good as the best arcade beat'em ups, Capcom or otherwise. Play, for example, Denjin Makai 2 or Undercover Cops for examples of truly great games of this type.
I'm pretty sure if I paid 70$+ for a game that was over in 30 minutes I wouldn't be giving it any GOTY nominations. The itemization in Dragon's Crown is indeed pretty bad (too many items with too subtle differences... nobody gives a shit about 3% resistance to undead damage) but the sense of progression is a good thing, and encourages going as deep as you can into the chaos labyrinth in the endgame, not grinding low level shit that won't give loot anyways. And the skill system puts it above Shadow over Mystara imo. Being able to load up your wizard with different sorts of spells, or make your dwarf specialize in chucking bombs or grappling enemies or whatever is pretty cool. That also kinda falls apart after you get way too many skill points, but that's well into the post game, and even then, you can only equip so many spells/abilities/items so you have to pick a loadout instead of just being generic mage guy with the same spells every time.

If you ask me, the game's biggest sin was the godawful touchscreen minigame sony no doubt insisted they shoehorn in. Probably why there's no PC port too, might be a pain in the ass to get it to work at various resolutions or something.

Figures that as soon as i post that, the Async shaders got merged in.
If you just grab the latest build, you'll have it enabled from the get go.

For some reason the latest build netted me a considerable performance gain, I can now play Odin Sphere at constant 60fps. I don't think all of it is related to shader caching.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
yeah latest build (july 15th) is running persona 5 very well for me.

LLVM (experimental)
spu threads: 1
gpu texture cache option: Enabled
200% resolution scaling (1440p)
anistropic filtering: forced 16x
frame limiter: OFF
renderer: vulkan

using a patch.yml that enables 60fps and skips intro logos, works a treat, and also downloaded a modded "mod.cpk" file that fixes the black lines in char-portraits when you increase game resolution. in-game i still only get 20-25fps in crowded areas, but dungeon areas are 45+ fps, but more importantly:

- in-game cutscenes (not anime playback) run perfectly at 60fps
- loading screens and menus (saving, etc) are awesome at 60fps, very brisk.

EDIT: btw, it is completely normal for RPCS3 to constantly be hitting your CPU to 95-99% usage, so make sure your fans aren't dusty.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
what's a good software that will simply record? bandicam cuts my frame-rate in half.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom