Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unhealthy interest in sales figures

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Vault Dweller Did you see this data leak about number of players for a game (as opposed to owners)? https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...-precise-player-count-for-thousands-of-games/

If the data is actually accurate, AOD has an absurdly high purchase-to-play rate (I'd imagine close to 100%). =

[EDIT: Duh, posted this while on page 29.]
I don't have enough info here, but if our player-to-owner ratio is high it's because we didn't do any bundle deals yet. It seems it's the bundle deals that reduce it.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Assuming the Primordia figure is accurate, even non-bundle buyers don’t play. Primordia has sold about 153k Steam keys, about 40k of which were bundled, 113k were not. According to the leak, 83k played—that means 30k bought on Steam and never even ran the game..?!

So, even assuming no bundle-buyers played, only 73% play and only 60% of those get the first achievement. Which is to say, well less than half of purchasers ever recharge the UNNIIC.

It seems grim but who knows?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I have more books than I'll probably will ever read. You know what, I still buy more, I like to support lots of writers and I like having lots of books. That's value enough for me. I assume there are people who think the same about games. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it as long as the people who actually played your games are happy with them.

almondblight

Arcane
Assuming the Primordia figure is accurate, even non-bundle buyers don’t play. Primordia has sold about 153k Steam keys, about 40k of which were bundled, 113k were not. According to the leak, 83k played—that means 30k bought on Steam and never even ran the game..?!

Hasn't Primordia been absurdly cheap in the past? I seem to recall some sales where it was around two dollars.

Tigranes

Arcane
I see tons of morons who buy games 'because it's cheap' or 'because I want STEAM ACHIEVOS' or whatever and never play. It's not your fault - it's inevitable especially once the games market started to learn sales tricks from other industries.

And then, yeah, some folks will pay for good games and good devs even if they don't have time to play immediately, which is a bit different.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer

Hasn't Primordia been absurdly cheap in the past? I seem to recall some sales where it was around two dollars.
Yes. I guess that’s cheap enough to get impulse “some day I’ll have more time” purchases.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I sometimes buy games I already have in physical form but with a whole lot of patches or DRM like Starforce and rather just have the GOG version for an easy no frills package but I might not install that game in a long time

I also sometimes might buy a game to try to support a developer but might not get around playing that particular game for a long time, or in that same idea buy games for friends who might simply not play them (happened a lot with AoD)

And lastly, I might buy a game I had pirated in the past but enjoyed it and wanted to actually pay for it

The only Steam game I own is Grimoire and I usually just check for an update and then use a direct desktop link to it rather than continue using that spyware blasphemy of Steam

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Eh, just consider it this way. The people that buy a game and never play it make up for the people that play a game but never buy it.

Last edited:

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
It seems both games still sale well.
It's time to consider to update your catchphrase by increasing your market part with 0.0001%

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
70K copies of AoD in the last 11 months? that's incredible, considering the game is 5 year old. And in the same period almost doubled DR sales. Is this because of a bundle or any other specific reason?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I buy games I want to play when they are published, and everything else not higher than at least 60% off if it sounds I might play it one day (I almost never do)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom