Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

TedNugent

Arcane
But the amazeballs Blizzard used to be makes me ache inside when I see shit like Overwatch.

I just want to say that I saw the decline when World of Warcraft came out.

I played the ungodly living fuck out of Warcraft III. By all rights I should have been nutting myself over WoW. But the fact that people actually look at vanilla and see that as the paragon of WoW is completely mindblowing.

Farming trade skills and trinkets and collecting pig skins for a few copper - grinding reputation. Exactly how this horseshit ever qualified as a real game is completely beyond me. All of you that point out WoW vanilla as a good game are batshits.

I played that game back in the day, and it was fucking awful. With the exception of high tier raiding and PVP, wow has always been cancer.

I will grant people that were actually privileged enough to witness the original endgame, but as someone who quit back during the original Barrens quest area, I can't say that part of the game was worth the slog to get to it. I've heard about the repgrinds and attunement quests and I'm sorry but that shit sounds miserable beyond belief.

Lurker47

Savant
I wish they would make another Warcraft RTS game. It is time. Or remake the old ones. I don't care.

I wish blizz would shut down and never make games again
I wish Blizzard never existed.

You must be young. In the 90's they were amazing.
The insurmountable amount of annoyance I get from Overwatch makes them feel irredeemable to me. I know they probably aren't.

TedNugent

Arcane
Actually, I kind of take that back. I am extremely jealous of people that played Burning Crusade back in the heyday.

There was a guild on my server during Wrath called The Burning Crusade who capped their toons at 70 and ran legacy dungeons.

If I ever think to count the number of hairs on my chest when I am old and grey and useless, I will download a good BC private server and live out 2007 and 8 from a different universe.

That said, vanilla. Jesus Christ.

Generic-Giant-Spider

WC3 was the first time Blizzard let me down. WC1 and WC2 were insane amounts of fun and had their own distinct style, WC3 is when they tried to do all sorts of gay shit like making Orcs "noble" and retelling the Diablo storyline once again only this time with a human.

Gameplay-wise, it was trash. Hardly even felt like an RTS. Oh boy, let us go embark on an adventure to level my hero up against trash mobs scattered around the map and pick up l00t they drop to enhance their stats. You had idiotic systems like upkeep and an insanely low unit limit. The only enjoyment I ever derived from WC3 was on custom maps and WC3 is to blame for giving us the MOBA genre. Fuck MOBAs.

So in summary:

-Orcs should have stayed barbaric brutes that wanted to simply rape, pillage and plunder everything not Orcs.
-Arthas was a faggot.
-Night Elves are the gayest elves in the history of elves.
-DOTA was conceived in this unholy game and that alone should make anyone with an ounce of pride dry heave.
-The only fun you got from WC3 was when you played maps that didn't make it feel like you were playing WC3.

With that said, I still bought WoW on release because I am a slut.

TedNugent

Arcane
I wish they would make another Warcraft RTS game. It is time. Or remake the old ones. I don't care.

I wish blizz would shut down and never make games again
I wish Blizzard never existed.

You must be young. In the 90's they were amazing.
The insurmountable amount of annoyance I get from Overwatch makes them feel irredeemable to me. I know they probably aren't.
((((They)))) are. But then again, they are not ye olde Blizzard.

The Blizzard of Tides of Fucking Darkness and Ye Olde Diablo.

Dear God, Diablo II. Such a beautiful game.

Starcraft. And Brood War. Maybe their best designed game ever. Single and multiplayer - the custom maps to this day can be played for a lifetime.

The infamous "fuck that loser" comment pretty much sums up nuBlizz.

https://kotaku.com/5936142/diablo-iii-interview-leads-to-unexpected-facebook-bitching

WC3 was the first time Blizzard let me down. WC1 and WC2 were insane amounts of fun and had their own distinct style, WC3 is when they tried to do all sorts of gay shit like making Orcs "noble" and retelling the Diablo storyline once again only this time with a human.

Gameplay-wise, it was trash. Hardly even felt like an RTS. Oh boy, let us go embark on an adventure to level my hero up against trash mobs scattered around the map and pick up l00t they drop to enhance their stats. You had idiotic systems like upkeep and an insanely low unit limit. The only enjoyment I ever derived from WC3 was on custom maps and WC3 is to blame for giving us the MOBA genre. Fuck MOBAs.

So in summary:

-Orcs should have stayed barbaric brutes that wanted to simply rape, pillage and plunder everything not Orcs.

-Arthas was a faggot.

-Night Elves are the gayest elves in the history of elves.

-DOTA was conceived in this unholy game and that alone should make anyone with an ounce of pride dry heave.

-The only fun you got from WC3 was when you played maps that didn't make it feel like you were playing WC3.

With that said, I still bought WoW on release because I am a slut.

Warcraft II orcs were best orcs. Obviously based on my user icon I'm not about to disagree with you there.

That said, Warcraft 3 did actually have a pretty significant emphasis on unit micro and active unit abilities. In exchange it simplified base management down to the point where mirror matches are indistinguishable until the first units engage. Therefore the real separation was with things like hero micro, harassing tactics and so forth. It really isnt a bad game, it's pretty damn fun.

Agree with you on DotA, and noep on Arthas. Arthas was good in War3. Enjoyed his steady and sarcastic descent into dry cynicism. He turned into a giant raging fag in WoW - also when they killed off Nerzhul, the reason for Arthas' corruption. Nerzhul was what made Arthas a great character.

For reference, his banter, slaughter and raising of Sylvanas is good. He's sarcastic as fuck and completely bone dry throughout. Loved Arthas as soon as he was a Death Knight.

War3 technically didnt invent the moba, it just invented the modern moba archetype. The original moba is a custom map calles Aeon of Strife in Starcraft.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

From the RTS side of things, WC2 was my favourite of the whole series. Everything about it came together great from the gameplay to the graphics and that music is still world class. But what I really liked especially in retrospect is how they made the Orcish Horde feel like this destructive force. Shit, that manual where you have artwork of Orcs holding up severed heads and burying their axes in someone's spine was how they should have remained.

If I had not played Diablo and to another extent Starcraft, maybe the Arthas thing would have gone over better but it felt like another re-telling of the same story. But I also have a heavy personal bias about the whole "Paladin becomes so evil they become a super deathlord knight." It's such tacky shit. I'd rather Arthas be a Paladin that justifies his atrocities by being some sort of divine enforcer of their own twisted faith. Make him go from your typical knight-in-shining-armour to zealous crusader clad in blood. Also, WC2 Death Knights were way cooler than WC3-WoW ones.

Now I'm not someone that knows all this shit about Warcraft lore because I lost interest in most of it mid-way through WC3 but that Scarlet Crusade faction should have been a bigger enemy in WoW and had Arthas as the merciless leader of all these crazy fanatics. Kel'Thuzad should have been the leader of the whole Scourge stuff with Ner'zhul being his spiritual voice.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It could've gone either way, it all depended on whether Arthas chose to pick up the cursed sword or not, and he did indeed choose it. It shows Blizzard still had some kind of sense for character arcs and culminations, Arthas damned himself, but he also did it willingly and knowingly, and it was logical. The problem is they stripped him of any kind of personality in WoW, if their idea was to show that he is no longer the same person, wholly consumed by that voice in his head, that's fine, but that doesn't mean he should lack any kind of characterization.

I don't know what purpose in the story the Scarlet Crusade served in WoW tbh, they were there as generic enemies first and foremost and an organization second or third. Their "true numbers" in WotLK didn't make sense, as they weren't characterized as some huge force with resources for an entire fleet, but as makeshift vigilantes who managed to secure some strategic positions. Cataclysm made it even worse with that undead chick and their continued presence after it was explicitly stated their whole group was killed in Northrend. Eh, whatever, Blizz never really had some great stories, but they were functional, with a pronounced flair for dramaticisms, so I still count it as decline.

WoW was a mistake.

TedNugent

Arcane
I hate to say, but the voice in his head was what made Arthas good in War3.

In WoW, in Icecrown questing area, Arthas removes his own heart to symbolize his discarding of his old humanity, but it was actually in an accursed novel called "Arthas" (because videogame story arcs are best explained by books written by people other than the story designers apparently) that Arthas becomes the dominant and ultimately the only person within the Lich King, which was actually created by the fusion of Nerzhul's spirit and Arthas' body. He essentially kills off Nerzhul in his head.

The decline, therefore actually coincided with Arthas becoming the main personality.

I would argue the cause is the decline of Blizzard's writing staff and their obsession with exporting major plot events to novels that no one in their right mind (including me!) is going to read.

Also, Scarlet Crusade did become a big thing in Wrath - they were being duped by some dumb dreadlord. Stupid plot arc.

And yes, Death Knights in War 2 were the best. Guldan's inner circle of dead warlocks inhabiting the bodies of dead knights bound by scepters. Versus the retardoshit in Warcraft 3.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
That makes even less sense. Arthas in WC3 wasn't some kind of empty shell whose only desire was the destruction of the world, he had genuine relationships with Kel'Thuzad and what's-his-face, the spider, even regarding them as friends. I headcanon it as he seeing the undead as his new people and subjects, especially the self-aware ones. His personality traits were also taken to an extreme, his cockiness and confidence especially. There's nothing like that in WoW, he isn't really a character anymore, more like a Sauron-type vacant in the head Evil Lord, but somehow even worse. Why did he remove his heart and humanity? That makes zero sense from his prior characterization. Why are they talking about "humanity" at all? It's frankly dumb.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
That whole discussion is a prime example of why I did not like Warcraft III as much as the first two.

latest

1473348200-2965856078.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Sure, Warcraft III played better. They also gayed the series up so much it never went back.

lqsZh.png

1416314651121.jpg

This is always cool to me...BRAIN DAMAGE! I've read on it before. I did see Agahnim like this as a kid for a time...
e970426609c2551516d814be0c2b1fb6.jpg

Edit: Btw the explanation for that is partly shitty TV's and eye sight. I had to get glasses at that age.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

I don't know what purpose in the story the Scarlet Crusade served in WoW tbh, they were there as generic enemies first and foremost and an organization second or third. Their "true numbers" in WotLK didn't make sense, as they weren't characterized as some huge force with resources for an entire fleet, but as makeshift vigilantes who managed to secure some strategic positions. Cataclysm made it even worse with that undead chick and their continued presence after it was explicitly stated their whole group was killed in Northrend. Eh, whatever, Blizz never really had some great stories, but they were functional, with a pronounced flair for dramaticisms, so I still count it as decline.

Yeah, Scarlet Crusade is a missed opportunity (among other things). I thought they were pretty much killed off in Vanilla since you essentially kill them in the Monastery and that one level 60 dungeon that has the horse which never drops then in WOTLK they suddenly pop out again out of nowhere. You don't ever get the sense they're a threat since they are always getting their ass kicked and exist as trash mobs that give you 14 silver and a gray longsword. The whole DK starting zone is you performing a Holocaust on them.

In WoW, in Icecrown questing area, Arthas removes his own heart to symbolize his discarding of his old humanity, but it was actually in an accursed novel called "Arthas" (because videogame story arcs are best explained by books written by people other than the story designers apparently) that Arthas becomes the dominant and ultimately the only person within the Lich King, which was actually created by the fusion of Nerzhul's spirit and Arthas' body. He essentially kills off Nerzhul in his head.

That is the most retarded thing I've read in a month. I always assumed WoWthas being so laughably 'evil' was because Nerzhul was using his body at that point as a puppet and Arthas himself was completely erased in memory. This other way reads like a bad fanfiction which I'm guessing most of those novels are.

And yes, Death Knights in War 2 were the best. Guldan's inner circle of dead warlocks inhabiting the bodies of dead knights bound by scepters. Versus the retardoshit in Warcraft 3.

The Virgin War3-Current DK

calabim___gnome_death_knight_by_malakym.jpg

The Chad Warcraft 2 DK

latest

Kids these days whine about how strong DKs in WoW are. Those nerds don't know true terror until they see six Haste'd DKs coming on up and casting Death & Decay all over your shit.

Delterius

Arcane
Blizzard never had great writing.
I disagree. Warcraft is a warhammer ripoff that retconned something around 80 to 100% of its own stories with every single release. It was always style over substance. It was always decent enought to be entertaining and no more than that. WoW isn't decline from good storytelling. Its the compound mediocrity of Blizzard's age old tendencies, spread thick across a half dozen expansions.

People should just enjoy the schlock for what it is. Otherwise they might get pissed off at how Priests suddenly have a Holy Light Space Ship and little things like that.

Coincidentially, I quit WoW when I first saw that.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Blizzard never had great writing.

I disagree. Warcraft is a warhammer ripoff that retconned something around 80 to 100% of its own stories with every single release. It was always style over substance. It was always decent enought to be entertaining and no more than that. WoW isn't decline from good storytelling. Its the compound mediocrity of Blizzard's age old tendencies, spread across a half dozen expansions since.

This is irrelevant. The instruction books contained better writing than most Bethesda RPG's that win accolades today.

So we have originality and retcons as the complaints of which you can say about most movies, tv's, books, games today. Warhammer is a Tolkien ripoff. Dark Tower is a Mad Max ripoff with Lord of the Rings sprinkled on top. Arcanum is a Fallout ripoff with Steam. Fallout 3 is Oblivion with guns. My dick is a sausage.

I'm not saying they are amazing. I'm saying they are good.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I hear that. The spaceship stuff and traveling to different planets is something they should retcon by saying you were on a Hotline Miami style acid trip and none of it ever happened. In fact you were in a coma for ten years. In fact, Draenei are all a figment of your imagination and do not exist.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Retcons are only bad when used over and over again, like they did from Warcraft III onward. If you retcon something minor it should not be a big deal. Turning Orcs into noble cool dudes on the other hand is dumb shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom