Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Bethesda master trolologists like I deducted before, they showed 'the forest' in the trailer, while the majority of map consists of wasteland, it's a throwback to new vegas and fallout 1 as fallout 3 and 4 did not have wasteland at all.

Also it seems that 'intelligent trees' might be giving you quests etc

Trithne

Erudite

Oh boy, I hope they have Harold. Because fuck continuity.

Most likely we will see a lot of things from Fallout 1, 2, tactics.

Looks like Bethesda is pushing everything from Fallout lore into this game.

Makabb, you are a precious gift. Never stop seeing only the best possible outcomes of things.

Cadmus

Arcane
THIS IS GOING TO BE FUCKING SHIT.

(unless by some miracle they introduce something like the Lineage 2 PvP system)

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Pete Hines on factions

“If you want to have the Minutemen, then be a Minuteman and recruit other people to be Minutemen who go around the world helping folks and finding settlements that need help and going and do that. If you want to be a trader, if you want to travel around the map or you want to build an outpost where people come and buy and sell stuff, you should do that. You don’t need us to craft those systems. The game will just allow you to do that. You go be who you want in this world.”

https://www.vgr.com/pete-hines-fallout-76-npc-factions/

hyh-png.10535

If they have the Brotherhood of Steel in this game I will leave the Codex and wander the wasteland...

max-von-sydow-star-wars-judge-dredd-152847.jpg

Aim1ess

Novice
Pete Hines on factions

“If you want to have the Minutemen, then be a Minuteman and recruit other people to be Minutemen who go around the world helping folks and finding settlements that need help and going and do that. If you want to be a trader, if you want to travel around the map or you want to build an outpost where people come and buy and sell stuff, you should do that. You don’t need us to craft those systems. The game will just allow you to do that. You go be who you want in this world.”

hyh-png.10535

If they have the Brotherhood of Steel in this game I will leave the Codex and wander the wasteland...

Your first image already answered your question about BoS inclusion. Sure theres the brotherhood of steel. Just like the minutemen, or merchants. You can be anything your heart desires, theres no one stopping you! Its the perfect game for everyone where everything is possible!

Cael

Arcane
Pete Hines' quote reminds me of this video about Richard Garriott's experience working on Ultima Online's ecology system essentially coming down to "don't design multiplayer games around how you envision the players interacting with the world, it's not going to happen".

I still recall picking up one of the issues of PC gamer in the 90's and reading about Lord British being assassinated by a hacker in Ultima Online...

Not a hacker. They were running a scenario where LB was addressing the players but someone forgot to set LB's invincibility flag. Some joker in the crowd decided to try out a scroll on LB for the lulz and was as shocked as everyone else when LB fell over.

Squid

Arbiter
Yeah, he also got banned for previous offenses that were brought to light due to the incident and apparently people wanted him banned for the assassination anyway.
Pretty cool moment in MMORPGs in my opinion.

TedNugent

Arcane
According to this guy, it's the best time to be a Fallout fan

That is true. There are today a wide variety of widescreen mods for the two (three?) good fallout games.

My skin actually crawls every time I see someone with a pip boy bobblehead on their desk or a pip t shirt. Not a single one of them ever played FO1/2.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
So do I get this right?

Bethesda missed the whole Fortnite/PUBG hype, so now they quickly whip out a "Fallout Online", by merging Fallout 4 with Quake netcode. The same Fallout 4 engine that runs horrible sluggish, bloated by generations of predecessor's script fragments. Recycling 99% of the assets of course (to save money).
Removing all the human NPCs (to save costs on VAs), the "story quests" are given by robots and terminals (moah cost savings).
Where death will be meaningless because players simply respawn.

This is going to be YUGE! Butthurt. Gonna stock up on popcorn asap. :obviously:

For the unavoidable cash pay2win shop alone, how else would they provide "free updates for years to come".

The PC master race will sneer at it, for not being "a RPG", consoletards will mostly play it as a PvP Fallout game, RAEGing about Bethesda's notorious "balancing". How would you even balance a game with power armor and where weapon mods quadruple damage output. Insert a picture of J.E. Sawyer facepalming here.

God I hope getting matched with players will mean you have to endure their settlements as well. Nothing screams immershun more than a settlement built entirly out of folding chairs resembling dicks, done in 10 hours the player had nothing better to do...

Getting really hyped for it. Not touching the game itself, but for watching the eventual... heh... fallout. :salute:

:fallout3:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Also a bonus lol provided by the Toddler himself:

Toddler Howard said:
And that happens in Fallout 4. If you ask the people what are their favourite stories, they often say situations where systems collide. "I was doing this then raiders attacked and a super mutant behemoth came over the hill and then a vertibird came by, then i met this new companion." This is what seperates our games from other developers, Fallout 76 goes even harder into that direction.

He obviously never played his own game, since every companion is either hidden in an inside cell or a tucked away in a save low level area. Bethesda did so to avoid exactly that happening, since it would break their scripted introduction.

:hearnoevil:
Todd. Todd never changes.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
So do I get this right?

wrong

Bethesda missed the whole Fortnite/PUBG hype, so now they quickly whip out a "Fallout Online"

They wanted to do MP in Fallout 4 update, but it grew and they decided to do a separate game.

. Recycling 99% of the assets of course (to save money).
and plenty new assests are made

Removing all the human NPCs (to save costs on VAs), the "story quests" are given by robots and terminals (moah cost savings).

It's actualy a good move

Just like in every other multiplayer shooter?

This is going to be YUGE! Butthurt.

nah

For the unavoidable cash pay2win shop alone, how else would they provide "free updates for years to come".

Only cosmetic skins will be purchasable

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Just like in every other multiplayer shooter?
At least we are all on the same page regarding the "is it a RPG" question then. :salute:

I hope you have already sent your job application to Bethesda Softworks (a Zenimax company) or the offishul Xbawx magazine. Your dedication and talent to sugarcoat a turd for the masses is admirable. For the right masses that is.

But keep up the effort here, saves me the trouble of wading through reddit for more brand new reveals about the upcoming Citizen Kane of Fallout games.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.theguardian.com/games/2018/jul/17/fallout-76-bethesda-todd-howard-interview

Fallout 76: what you need to know about one of the biggest games of the year
Bethesda’s Todd Howard explains why post-apocalypse simulator Fallout is becoming an online multiplayer game, and why he is just as scared of it as the players

Suit up … players wearing powered armour in the post-nuclear wasteland of Fallout 76. Photograph: Games Press

While billionaires buy up property in New Zealand and pay technologists huge sums of money for advice on how to keep their staff in check after “the event” – that is, whatever it is that wipes out enough of the planet to justify living in bunkers– the rest of us are left to deal with the looming threat of catastrophe by playing video games. Bethesda Game Studios’ Fallout series offers a very American take on the post-apocalypse: humans, ghouls and mutants protect their respective corners of the wasteland with big guns and power armour, in a retro future with sci-fi technology and a 1950s aesthetic. The games present a ravaged, irradiated all-American picket-fence fantasy with classic cars, suburban homes and US landmarks devastated by nuclear bombs.

Fallouts 3 and 4 are explorative role-playing games that cast the player as a survivor emerging from a vault after more than 100 years into a world they don’t recognise – though, after a few hours, they have significantly more weapons and resources than the average pitiable remnant of humanity. The games offer the player 100 or more hours exploring the wasteland and meeting its dogged inhabitants. But developer Bethesda surprised fans this year by announcing Fallout 76, an online multiplayer game set in the same universe. As one of the first survivors to emerge from the vaults, you’ll be up against other players as well as the usual mutants, monsters and hazardous environments.

Todd Howard, the director and executive producer who leads the Fallout series at Bethesda, explains that, as suggested by early reports on the game,Fallout 76 began as a concept for Fallout 4. “We never actually got to prototyping it [during development of Fallout 4]. It was just the design: if we do multiplayer, what would it look like?” he says. “That was in maybe 2014. It was really just on paper. We started putting people on it in 2015, before we finished Fallout 4.”

Bethesda has never done an online multiplayer game before (there is an online version of The Elder Scrolls, its beloved fantasy role-playing series, but it’s made by a different developer). A survival-style game where other players are a threat fits well with the post-apocalyptic setting, but it is new territory for the developer and, with plenty of other very successful online survival games out there, why isn’t Fallout sticking to what it knows?

“We avoid the word ‘survival’, because people’s minds immediately go to DayZ and Rust and certain other games, and those comparisons are not really accurate for what we’re doing,” Howard says. “If you think about the survival modes we’ve made in Fallout 4, it has that vibe … Fallout 76, although it’s an online game, when I play it, I mostly still play it solo. We like those experiences as much as our fans do.”

The world is your oyster … Fallout 76. Photograph: Games Press

Players share the world with maybe a few dozen other players in Fallout 76, not hundreds. You can choose whether or not to interact, help or hinder each other. Every human you meet in the game will be another player, but robots, intelligent ghouls and mutants also exist in the world. Unlike in Rust or DayZ, this isn’t a game in which someone can run up to you in the first five minutes (or five hours), kill you with a superior weapon, steal all your stuff and leave you back at square one. “No, that’s not fun,” says Todd. “Well, it’s fun for whoever killed you, but not for you … Death is already bad enough in a game, because you’re losing time, that we didn’t feel we needed to add any further penalty. We wanted to make sure you don’t lose your progression.”

Footage of the game shows that players can still fight, however, attack one another’s bases or even launch dormant nukes to wipe out whole areas. (On balance, Fallout is not a game with much of an anti-nuclear message.)

Howard feels that the addition of other players simply amplifies what people love most about Bethesda games: the one-off moments that result from exploring and playing around, rather than the scripted ones. “I usually find in our games, the best moments aren’t the ones that we designed,” he says. “They’re when you’re out in the open world and different systems collide. Putting that power in the hands of the players exponentially increases the number of different magic moments that can happen in the game.

“Some other games out there have done a little bit of that, but not in the way we wanted to do it. Fallout 76 is a mix of what you’d expect of us – there’s an open world, with our kinds of quests, and you do have a goal – but then you don’t know what’s gonna happen when you run into somebody else. That interested us greatly from a design-mood standpoint.”

You can choose whether to help or hinder each other … Fallout goes multiplayer. Photograph: Games Press

Fallout 76 does not mark the end of Fallout as a series of single-player games tuned to give everyone who plays a unique personalised adventure. It is a departure from Fallouts 3 and 4 but Howard stresses that it is not replacing them. “We want to be careful with our fans and other people who ask, ‘Is this what Fallout is for ever now?’ It’s clearly not. It’s definitely its own thing,” he asserts. “We had the idea, and for a while now we’ve been thinking we should try it ... we are sometimes afraid of doing it, as much as our fans are afraid of us doing it. But we’ve got to try new things.”

In his 24 years at Bethesda, Howard has often talked about defining games by the experience a player will have – a design philosophy outlined in a 2009 speech at the DICE game developers’ summit. What experience does he want players to have with Fallout 76?

“I want them to see the world as their oyster,” he says. “What a game is, is what the players ultimately make of it. Our job is to give them all the interesting tools. We want to design a really interesting world for them to collide with.”

Fallout 76 is released on 14 November.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Pete Hines on factions

hyh-png.10535

Your first image already answered your question about BoS inclusion. Sure theres the brotherhood of steel. Just like the minutemen, or merchants. You can be anything your heart desires, theres no one stopping you! Its the perfect game for everyone where everything is possible!

I am referring to any alleged storyline the game has that might include them. I just don't see how they could hamfist it in since it seems the game will be a little barebones.

PanteraNera

Arcane
post-apocalypse simulator

mj-laughing.gif

online multiplayer game
Makabb not an RPG
tenor.gif

Bethesda has never done an online multiplayer game before (there is an online version of The Elder Scrolls, its beloved fantasy role-playing series, but it’s made by a different developer).
giphy.gif

Fallout 76 is a mix of what you’d expect of us – there’s an open world, with our kinds of quests, and you do have a goal
giphy.gif

Squid

Arbiter
Now that I think about it. Will this game get a DLC set on an island like the last 5 games? Seems to be an internal favorite of Bethesda.

Gerrard

Arcane
So do I get this right?

Bethesda missed the whole Fortnite/PUBG hype, so now they quickly whip out a "Fallout Online", by merging Fallout 4 with Quake netcode. The same Fallout 4 engine that runs horrible sluggish, bloated by generations of predecessor's script fragments. Recycling 99% of the assets of course (to save money).

This is going to be YUGE! Butthurt. Gonna stock up on popcorn asap. :obviously:

The PC master race will sneer at it, for not being "a RPG", consoletards will mostly play it as a PvP Fallout game, RAEGing about Bethesda's notorious "balancing". How would you even balance a game with power armor and where weapon mods quadruple damage output. Insert a picture of J.E. Sawyer facepalming here.

God I hope getting matched with players will mean you have to endure their settlements as well. Nothing screams immershun more than a settlement built entirly out of folding chairs resembling dicks, done in 10 hours the player had nothing better to do...

Getting really hyped for it. Not touching the game itself, but for watching the eventual... heh... fallout. :salute:

:fallout3:
You underestimate the power of autism.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Toddler Howard said:
Death is already bad enough in a game, because you’re losing time

Remind again me Todd: what did FO4 survival mode add, that F:NV's hardcore mode avoided? Right Todd, it eleminated autosaves and fast travel without adding any sort of mount. Making the player spend hours jogging around in an empty wasteland (thanks to the lowered spawn rate), fighting one mudcrab every 15 mins at best. They were losing time because of that bullshit.

So in Toddworld, survival mode must have been the worst thing ever coded, amirite? .... no wait:
Toddler Howard said:
it’s absolutely some of the most fun I’ve had playing Fallout. I mean that honestly. It changes it in a good way for me

Gosh, it's so comforting to know that the franchise has a visionary man with a plan at the helm, who knows exactly what he and his underlings are doing.

Toddler Howard said:
Fallout 76 is a mix of what you’d expect of us – there’s an open world, with our kinds of quests
More "Billy the ghoul kid in a fridge" quests. Yay.

Fallout is becoming the new Sonic. Please kill it now and spare it the suffering.
:negative:

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Toddler Howard said:
Death is already bad enough in a game, because you’re losing time

Remind again me Todd: what did FO4 survival mode add, that F:NV's hardcore mode avoided? Right Todd, it eleminated autosaves and fast travel without adding any sort of mount.

Uh...you can use two options:
1. Institute lets you teleport back to CIT for free from anywhere in the map.
2. Brotherhood Vertibird flare you can throw to call a ride and travel to previously visited point of interest.

This is mid to late game options anyway. Faction perks that made me want to kill Brotherhood less.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom