Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

80Maxwell08

Arcane
For some reason I've been jumping between Dark Souls 2, Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, and Saints Row 3&4. I feel like I need a change of pace but I'm not really sure what I want to play. I really need to get around and play some old classics.

sullynathan

Arcane
Been playing a lot of shitty games lately. Just beat DmC: Devil May Cry & Prototype. Ninja Gaiden 3 is going on the backburner

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Been playing a lot of shitty games lately. Just beat DmC: Devil May Cry & Prototype. Ninja Gaiden 3 is going on the backburner
Prototype has shitty missions, but the way you can wreak havoc in the city is priceless. I like the mindless fun of it.

sullynathan

Arcane
Prototype has shitty missions, but the way you can wreak havoc in the city is priceless. I like the mindless fun of it.
I already played Prototype 2 before this one and it was better, I just came back to Prototype because I don't remember why I didn't play it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I already played Prototype 2 before this one and it was better, I just came back to Prototype because I don't remember why I didn't play it.
Yeah, Prototype 2 improved the gameplay a lot. Although I still liked the protagonist in the first one a little more.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Even that kind of mindless fun can only last so so

Just started playing Warhammer 40k Rites of war where you're playing as a space elves. Loving everything about this one so far.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Wasting time with some chess on older pc emulators.
Well i think these screenshots will demonstrate the state of the machines back then pretty nice:
Game is micro chess,a bare bones chess game made in the 70's.
Apple 2:
466051-microchess-apple-ii-screenshot-made-a-move.png

Pretty nice for that era.You can easily tell pieces apart and it is minimalistic and functioning a sit should be.

Commodore pet:
247011-microchess-commodore-pet-cbm-screenshot-board-starting-position.png

Uh,that is not very good.The pet was underpowered,especially when it come to the other computers of that era.Well at least it has a nice green glow.
And speaking of underpowered in graphical terms.

Trs-80:

385950-microchess-trs-80-screenshot-beginning-the-game.png

It can't even render the board properly.

Trs coco:
268151-microchess-trs-80-coco-screenshot-game-play-screen-regular.gif

Welcome to the clusterfuck called trs coco and the color green.You have actual graphical capabilities now and most of the coco games will use it to render you blind by making the foreground color as flashy as possible.
I mean just look at the coco startup screen:
Coco2boot.png

Dungeons of daggorath is the best game on the coco by far and it uses normal colors(mostly typical wire frame graphics of that era).

mastroego

Arcane
Well i think these screenshots will demonstrate the state of the machines back then pretty nice:
Apple 2:

Pretty nice for that era.You can easily tell pieces apart and it is minimalistic and functioning a sit should be.
Holy shit I had this one (well my father did technically) on an Apple II C machine.

Cael

Arcane
Apple 2:

Holy shit I had this one (well my father did technically) on an Apple II C machine.
Same. I seem to recall the games taking forever...

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Replaying Jagged Alliance Back In Action DLC Crossfire with Rebalance mod on ironman, my team (Flo, Biff & Bubba) got killed at powerplant
I made a mistake of leaving Biff in poor cover (a car gantry stand). Biff went down first then Flo, Bubba was critically injured after killing all visible enemies and was about to save Biff when an enemy runs in and guns Bubba down.

3C359FDFE8F401122047A91CA67DF79287198EF7

Now gonna restart.
Great game 9/10.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
As promised some time ago in another thread, I took a look at two very similar games that I recently purchased: In The Shadows and Ghostory (both 2017).

Both are 2D puzzle platformers using pixelated art design. ITS is somewhat surreal as you control a kid who seems to be dreaming the whole thing, and his dreams are full of shadow monsters that he must get past. The gimmick of the game is that the monsters themselves turn into useful items when exposed to light, so the level design pretty much consists of trapping monsters in areas of light so that they turn into items you need to reach the end of each level. I played this for about 40 minutes and found no change in the gameplay, this seems to be pretty much the gist of the game.

Ghostory is about a backpacker who gets lost in the forest and drinks water from a magic fountain that allows him to turn into a ghost. Unfortunately he'll die unless he drinks the cure, for which he needs to bring a mushroom to a witch. While the backpacker is free to noclip everywhere, the backpack with the mushroom cannot, so the gimmick of the game is getting the backpack to the exit, which usually involves finding all the keys for the various doors and locks strewn about. I played this one for an hour and while additional gameplay mechanics came into play, other problems made me put it away.

Ironically both games suffer from the same problem: You can't customize the controls. Ghostory just says "these are the controls, fuck you" and ITS keeps telling me to use a controller, and while it seems to offer key rebinds in the options, they don't work. Ghostory's controls are simple, but still wrongly placed for those that don't use conventional keyboard layouts, so I'm needlessly fighting the game to try to pull off the critically-timed puzzles that appear after Level 9 of the game. Not allowing players to redefine the controls is Heresy, this has been a standard feature for over 30 years in gaming!

But for a veteran gamer like myself neither game sadly has any appeal beyond the base game mechanics, which they both fail to pull off in a satisfactory manner. ITS just fails to keep my interest in general despite looking the part, and Ghostory's puzzles quickly devolve into key hunts and split-second timed jumps along timed moving platforms. ITS doesn't have much of a story to it, but Ghostory has some but it's bland and full of terrible, unfunny puns.

Overall I can't really recommend either game, especially since there are plenty of games out there exactly like them... only better. These are not bad games, they're just two more specks of sand on a beach full of such games.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
I can not stress how much God of War has negatively impacted action games (specifically the hack & slash kind) in the seventh gen. Nearly every one of them is slow, cumbersome and filled with some form of QTE

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Nier:Automata seven eleven times and I have to say I was a bit disappointed.It wasn't a bad game just not the great game some people claimed.Graphics were good but they good have been been better and there are some pretty low res textures here and there,I guess the blew their load money on 2B's ass and could make the rest as good,music was nice with some nice songs,gameplay was solid although I wasn't enamored with the developer's fascination with bullet hell shooters(not having a developing team team of 150 people in the credits would help a lot),the story was good but not as great or as deep as some said.All in all it wasn't a bad game,pretty good actually, just not as great as some had me believe.Recommended for a steam sale

DeepOcean

Arcane
Playing Hero U, I'm enjoying it alot, better than the Quest for Glory games, Quest for Infamy and Heroine Quest? Nope, but is it a bad game? Nope. Depends on the expectations, I expected a massive train wreck of a game, NumaNuma style, and I got a competent and fun adventure game instead, certainly it isn't a new Quest for Glory 4 but it is a pretty cool starting game on a new adventure game series if the game sells enough, if they ever make a new game, I will check it out.

Some will complain they expected more after 5 years of wait BUT, and a big BUT, this isn't a NumaNuma kinda of case, on NumaNuma, Inxile aimed at the Planescape Torment, but miss both the spirit and quality of the game, being hopeless shovelware garbage, what isn't the case here, this is a game pretty much inspired by the Quest for Glory games, having the same qualities, it just don't have the same amount of content. You can only have 1 class, instead of choosing between 4 classes, there aren't the same amount of puzzles with different solutions, you don't go exploring alot of different places, staying on the same school hallways that can get repetitive after a certain time.

There are a few questionable design decisions, I would like the game alot more if I didn't waste so much time grinding skill points and more time solving puzzles for example, I would like if the reputation system was more developed with more consequences if a character liked you or not and be more than just grinding reputation by saying what the characters like, I would like they developed the character system more but I can't criticize them too much here, this isn't a full RPG and the game passed through development hell enough already.

The game is basically a school simulator for thieves, it is an strange concept but works really well on a game that has a fable inspired aesthetics and writing. You go around training your skills, building your reputation with people, killing monsters on dungeons and doing chores. Imagine Harry Potter for thieves + a Persona game but without weird and crazy jap writing. The writing has a really cool charm to it with alot of humour an gratuitous puns everywhere when you click on things like any game claiming Sierra heritage should have.

The strongest quality of the game is on the writing, not that the story and setting are the most original edgy thing ever, it is just generic fantasy BUT if you play a game like Pillars of Eternity, NumaNuma or Divinity Original Sin 2 written by a writing commitee, on the case of Divine Divinity 2 with alot of writers, all games with big high concepts for stories and world building without a single writer that was competent enough to turn all those high concepts on something that is actually entertaining to read, here, you have all cliches on Fantasy but written by people ( Corey,Josh Mandel and Lori Cole) with their own style that are actually doing what they love instead of assembly lining a product to grab the money from us losers with the least possible effort.

just finished new vegas, for the 4th or 5th time. tried one of the dlcs for the first time. never again.
"this time i'll complete this 100%, will do all the available quests and hit all the major settlements". and during the ending reel i realised i totally forgot to empty the prison =_=

Krivol

Magister
Just finished Deus Ex HR. Not that bad, but gameplay is not good enough to build fun for 40 hours (well, I played sneaky hacker) - hacking minigame would be nice but gets old really fast and is a bit too easy, sneaking and disabling eemies with punch, paralizer and that go-to-sleep rifle is really easy as fuck, I finished game not knowing what to do with 8-10 praxis points.

As a Deus Ex game it is a bit disapointing, but original was one of the best games ever, so it was hard to get close to it.

Still had a lot of fun for 30 hours and acceptable amount of fun for rest 10 hours.

Dux

Arcane
One of the more "odd" games I've played lately is without a doubt Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds. For those who don't know it's pretty much AoE 2 in the Star Wars universe - built on the same engine. So why is it odd? Back in the day I was really into AoE 2. It was the first game I bought with my own money and I played it a lot. I bought the expansion as well. On top of that I've always been a big Star Wars fan - within certain limits. I should've been all over this game when it came out but I never even knew it existed until I picked it up on GOG a month or so back. I bought Force Commander back in the day but I never knew about this? Looking at the game's wiki page it seems that it was a moderate success too, so it was actually sold actively in stores. I don't know. It's weird.

As for the game itself it is AoE 2: Star Wars, featuring various campaigns based on the original and prequel trilogy - with all of the familiar John Williams themes. The gameplay is a bit uninspired and bland, however, as if the studio perhaps believed the game to be an afterthought. Maybe it was, I don't know. This game remains a mystery.

janior

Arcane
Vatnik
Finished Call of Pripyat, somehow i liked it less than Clear Sky or Shadow of Chernobyl, for various reason like: ruined item progression,"hyde" park map desgin, overall low difficulty. High points of the game were lab X8 and bloodsucker lair quest, overall sidequests were the best part of the game, everything was seemed to be connected, but the main story was the weakest out 3. It was really weird how many side characters got their endings, but ok someone might've care about those random ass characters. Anyway, I'm sad i don't have any more stalker titles to play.
Gonna play Darkwood next.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom