Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

James Ohlen leaves Bioware after 22 years

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Lead designer of Baldur's Gate series: http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,6525/

And he will focus on his tabletop RPG company: https://www.arcanumworlds.com

About the mystery writer:

We're excited to be working with one of our good friends, a very talented author who lives here in Austin, TX. Stay tuned - we will be announcing his name at a later date!

Drew Karpyshyn or Alexander Freed.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Interesting how even these developers turned to be sick of their AAA work and first thing they could went to write some D&D shit in their personal time.

Last edited:

Terra

Cipher
Can't wait for the shills to tell me "it's still the same BioWare" when promoting Anthem and Travesty Age 4!

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"The most fun I had with this company was back in the late 90s and early 00s"

*stays an additional 15 years*
Hey, money is money. Plus the safe of mind in knowing that you're probably not in danger of being fired anytime soon.

I've been getting into 5e, I'd read the sourcebook just for kicks.

Fairfax

Arcane

He spent most of that time as Project Director on SWTOR and BioWare's "Director of Design". He also directed Shadow Realms, BioWare's first project to get publicly cancelled. No wonder he misses the BG and NWN days.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I got to know James a little bit in law school when I worked on Dragon Age, and he seemed like a very good person as well as a very good leader and writer. It's a shame that he's moving on, but I'm glad it's to something that he's excited about.

That's beautiful art.

PlayersGuidePreview.png

Too bad it's spent on this tripe:

Code:
"The Dragonlords were the champions who threw down the titans 500 years ago and forged the Oath of Peace. But the power of the oath has waned, and the titans seek vengeance.

You are one of the heroes called by prophecy to end this conflict once and for all."

Eeeeeh, no thanks, I'll sit this one out and watch the Titan motherfuckers flatten the Earth, maybe. No? Ok, I'll pass.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
It's a shame that he's moving on
How's it a shame?

You had some hopes for Bioware shovelware? Or is it a shame that he finally gets to do what he wants after years of slavery? ... ?!?!

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
It's a shame that he's moving on
How's it a shame?

You had some hopes for Bioware shovelware? Or is it a shame that he finally gets to do what he wants after years of slavery? ... ?!?!
Fair point.

I guess the "shame" was that a person who I found so admirable and gifted 15 years ago didn't get a more rewarding career in the interim. And I think it's a loss to the industry, both that he wasn't better utilized and that he's moving to P&P now.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

:drink:

Though technically Obsidian was a separate company from the one where Avellone enjoyed working, and he wised up after 13 years or so.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
and that he's moving to P&P now.
I wouldn't be surprised if he made a P&P and then made a cRPG based on it immediately afterwards. It's a good gateway. You hire good writers and 2d artists, you get your own original & deep setting and campaigns. And then all you need is a few programmers and 3d artists to transition.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I'm glad he got out at last. I mean, imagine being responsible for TOR pre and post launch.

1272044552-00.jpg

Somebody SAAAAAAVE me.

Doktor Best

Arcane
What's bioware

Biological equivalent to cyberware. Costs less essence and is harder to trace with scanners, but on the other hand way more expensive and not upgradeable. Has to be tailored to your DNA so no "second hand market"

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I'm glad he got out at last. I mean, imagine being responsible for TOR pre and post launch.

1272044552-00.jpg

Somebody SAAAAAAVE me.

No wonder Biofail games are shit - this guy is too white. It's racism like this that's holding BioWare down from achieving true Wakanda style greatness. Just throw them all out and replace them with niggers and feminazis and cRPGs will enter a new golden age in no time.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I always credited this guy for the tone of the original BG games, yet he is credited as the writing director of the EE's on his developer sheet - is that just a requirement by law? Because to think that he actually gave the ok to the tone and writing in SOD...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom