Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

PanteraNera

Arcane
Pianist.png

The Pianist
Actually this one is very close to the initial concept.

PanteraNera

Arcane
German game magazine preview (gamestar)

Funny, in the comment section (all German) there is quite some talk that it looks like a cheaper XCOM 2 and why they chose to copy XCOM rather than doing something fresh (regarding the visuals).

On the other hand, they've got a lot of pre-orders (last official claim was 100k $ a month while it was implied that it increased) so yeah, commercially seen it pays off.

edit: strange youtube said that the video was 6 minutes old, now it says March 7th 2018.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Backer build 2 looks pretty good from the videos so far. Except for how the Armadillo smashes through street lights and walls like they are papier mache even on a regular move and doesn't even take a scratch, that kinda undermines the physicality of the environment. XCOM2 has the same problem especially with sectopods and andromedons.
You do that in Xenonauts 2 with heavies armor for troops. It think it is cool.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Funny, in the comment section (all German) there is quite some talk that it looks like a cheaper XCOM 2 and why they chose to copy XCOM rather than doing something fresh (regarding the visuals).

This is a frame of reference problem. Same thing happens in Phantom Doctrine news. People only remember nu-Xcom in tactical TBS genre and everything is automatically a copy/clone of nu-Xcom to them :negative:

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just to play devil's advocate I would point out that many of current gamers weren't even born in 1994 and they probably know only XCOM as mainstream TBS, given that the genre has not been very popular in recent years.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
I can't be certain, but I'm starting to suspect the aliens will be only crustaceans/molluscs/amphibian/fish mutations. The Lovecraftian kind, you know, without mammals/birds/reptiles despite what has been said.

Julian Gollop said:
Yes, maybe. And elephants with long legs, enormous bats and insects, or giant chameleons with wings.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
IDK but graphic style of Xenonauts 2 somehow speaks more to me, than Phoenix Points. Not to berate the PP, i think it will be a good game. Just the graphic style is just the kind i dislike. So far the locations feel sterile and detached, im not a fan of such multistory locations, with fog that covers the places which are unmodelled/should be hidden from view. Also as the dev said, i hope they will make destruction more believable. Feels like everything is built from salty crackers -very flimsy. Locations should be believable, you have to build them with a function in mind, like if you build a military base, then there should be barracks, there should be refueling station, truck/vehicle depo etc. Right now it feels like a mishap of different procedural buildings.

Edit and btw, will there be an option to set return fire range for certain weapons? I saw the technician using PDW weapon for quite a long range return fire, wouldnt it be more prudent to prevent him from doing that?

Last edited:

mwnn85

Savant
Just played the Windows version of the 2nd backer build under an Arch Linux system with Wine 3.12 (without DXVK)
It seems to work just as well as it did under Windows 10 LTSB 2016.
The native Linux version of the full game should be excellent on release hopefully.
Gaming on Linux doesn't seem like a complete joke anymore; I've been using DXVK to get Dark Souls Remastered going.
Tried the Xenonauts 2 kickstarter demo but it doesn't quite render correctly ='(

I'd agree that the environment seems a bit fragile.
The fixed 25% inventory cost regardless of how much you do is a bit silly compared to the original TU system.
I don't like the tiny amount of ammunition carried by the units.
The overwatch mechanic could be improved. I'd prefer it if I could pick who I'm targeting or where I'm watching.
There doesn't appear to be any sensible weapon range limits which mainly affects retaliation fire and overwatch.
Not even sure I like this version of retaliation fire - there's no reaction check like the original games - just a free exchange of shots.

I do like first person free aiming and hitting enemies through scenery. The firing animations in FiraxisCOM were completely stupid at times when clipping through walls, etc.
I like the way every bullet can hit or miss even when factoring in cover and elevation. Again far better than FiraxisCOM.
I didn't think I'd like the introduction of the clown car but it does help to push into the map initially.
Obviously it's pretty stupid that you can just run over every enemy with the car and hide your other troops.
The armored Queen can't be disabled quite as easily as she could in the first build but parking the car in her face is just as good. Be sure to give her a good ramming! :mixedemotions:
You shouldn't be able to drive / ram with a damaged wheel - but you can!
The Technician is clearly too good at everything but he's a fun class - made the game much easier though.
It's all very experimental at this stage. I don't see this as being finished for June 2019 personally.
If we end up with a game which is reasonably faithful to the original games I'll be satisfied.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://phoenixpoint.info/blog/2018/7/23/distinguished-havens

Distinguished Havens

Havens are one of the largest and most important design elements in Phoenix Point.

Throughout the game, many battles will take place in the NPC Havens of New Jericho, Synedrion and The Disciples of Anu. In addition, there will also be Havens that are independent from these factions. A major consideration for the design team has been to make each faction's Havens look unique.

Each of the factions and the independent Havens will have their own unique look and style. You will be able to tell who the structure belongs to from the design of the buildings, the colour scheme and the items and furniture that populate them.

Each Haven is further broken down into different zones, each with their own unique buildings and props. Our current Backer Build for example uses the New Jericho Industrial zone. There will also be things such as Residential, Food Production, Military and so on.

NJ_Residential.png

A New Jericho residential building

As you can see in the above image, we have some buildings that are much larger than those in the current Backer Build. One of the factors that really added to the tension of the original X-Com UFO Defence, Terror from the Deep and X-Com Apocalypse was indoor fighting. Tight, twisting corridors with multiple floors, doors and side-rooms. Plenty of places for things to hide and ambush you from. Phoenix Point is no exception. We are also designing many structures that can be fought in as well as on (they will also be completely destructible).

NJ_concept-residential-living_building02.jpg

A selection of concept for New Jericho residential buildings

NJ_Residential_Building.JPG

A modelled and textured residential building complete with props

It isn't just the design and creation of the structures that takes time, but also the props. The minor details and deccorations which adorn the buildings both inside and out. At a glance they would be easy to overlook, but have a huge impact in bringing each structure to life.

roof_asset.JPG

A selection of rooftop props from the residential building

Just the rooftop props alone add up to quite an impressive number. Each of these assets has to be individually modelled and textured. Like all other physical objects in Phoenix Point, they can be used as cover and are also fully destructible. While some of these assets are more generic than others (they can be used on other buildings or even in other Havens) there are also many custom assets for each faction.

NJ_resident_color2c.jpg

A New Jericho residential map

Once you start to consider the number of props used on an entire map, not just a single building, you start to realise just how much small detail their is. Each asset hand-crafted to fit a theme.

exterior_props.png

Just a small selection of prop assets from a New Jericho map

It isn't just the exterior props that have to be created, but all of the furniture and equipment which can be found inside each building.

Interior_Assets.PNG

A small sample of New Jericho interior prop assets

All of these elements can go together to make the buildings feel more unique and lived-in, and not have them feeling like empty shells. These objects also provide some makeshift cover.

NJ_Municipal-Interior.png

The interior of a New Jericho municipal building

Work is also underway, in various stages for Havens of other factions, and other environments. Below you can see an example of an independent Haven building.

residential_building_8.JPG

A work-in-progress building for an independent Haven

The environment team are also busy working on two other aspects of Phoenix Point. While not technically Havens, they will play a very large role within the game. Those are the Pandoravirus "alien" structures and also the Phoenix Project bases.

Phoenix_Base.PNG

An early un-textured version of a Phoenix base layout in the tactical layer

Phoenix_Base_2.PNG

Another example of work on the Phoenix Base layout system

We're not ready and willing to show too much of the alien structures yet, but we do have another piece of concept art that we can share with you.

Alien_structure-concept02.jpg

Alien structure concepts

While the environment team are busy working on the NJ, Phoenix Project and Alien structures, the Geoscape team are also working to bring the strategic layer of the game to a future Backer Build. The character team are working on more classes and the other factions, more weapon types and more enemies. The programming team are working hard to put all of these elements together.

In our next update, we will be taking a closer look at some of what the character team are currently working on.

That's all for now!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://phoenixpoint.info/blog/2018/7/30/the-development-roadmap

THE DEVELOPMENT ROADMAP
Starting today, we're going to be sharing our development roadmap with you. Like the game, the roadmap is a work in progress. We plan to update it regularly.

Our goal is to give you a better insight into what the team is working on right now, and what we have planned for the future.

https://trello.com/b/ZOA2G1u0/phoenix-point-development-roadmap

A few notes:
  • We're keeping some content and features under wraps, so don't expect everything we're working on to show up here.
  • Things change during development - just because it's on here, doesn't mean it'll make it into the next build or even into the final game.
  • If you want to go into the game knowing as little as possible, don't poke around too closely!
You can access the roadmap by clicking on the image above, and it can also be found under the Game menu in the navigation.

https://phoenixpoint.info/blog/2018/7/27/backer-build-three

BACKER BUILD THREE
Since the first Backer Build of Phoenix Point was delivered, we've had fantastic feedback and reactions from our backers.

With the second release, we introduced vehicles and a new character class.

With Backer Build Three we want to take a major leap forward. We're going to be adding the Geoscape strategic element of the game.

Listen to more details from Julian, himself.

Also: we unveiled the Development Roadmap today. Check it out!

As adding the Geoscape and associated mechanics is such a large step in the development, it will take us a little longer to do than the usual Backer Build release schedule allows.

You can expect Backer Build Three to be available at the start of November. We can assure you that you will not be disappointed with the results.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
You're kidding me, development is so far behind that, at this point, I foresee a 2020 release at best. Wait until November for another alpha build? Shameful.

xmd1997

Educated
You're kidding me, development is so far behind that, at this point, I foresee a 2020 release at best. Wait until November for another alpha build? Shameful.
I'd say its worth it. If their Trello Road Map is anything to go by then the amount of features they promise for the next build is staggering. I'd be very impressed if they manage to deliver all that in the next build.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
True enough. Although I'd still take a better game later over a rushed game now.
Of course, but right now the only thing we can be sure is that development is terribly behind schedule and we'll have an awfully late, but maybe still rushed, game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom