Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout After a long time, I've finally finished Fallout 2. Guess what, it's shit!

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Companions are added to aid diplomat PC maybe except Myron who does have some impact on quests and using no weight cheat in game without trash loot and where most of containers are safe to leave stuff until you got car is lame Comrade.

The Avatar

Pseudodragon Studios
Developer
Fallout was great except for one thing- very little variety in character builds. You either build guns or melee. Or if you're really dedicated, do a charisma run with no combat. Perks spice things up a bit, but I almost always end up playing basically the same character.

I guess that's the downside of a classless system.

Trashos

Arcane
Fallout was great except for one thing- very little variety in character builds. You either build guns or melee. Or if you're really dedicated, do a charisma run with no combat. Perks spice things up a bit, but I almost always end up playing basically the same character.

I know what you are saying, but it's not a classless system issue. The skill system needed more work so that more skills would be useful, that's all. New Vegas improved upon it, and more builds were viable. Underrail focused on the builds that the classless system can yield, and it's got dozens.

I agree that it could use more diversity, but there are nice builds:

- Diplosniper (AKA the cookie-cutter Per Jorner build)
- Fast Shooter/Gunslinger (Fast Shot, 9-10AP, get a lower-AP weapon like the Magnum)
- Lone Sniper (Focus on crits and PE, no companions, full implants)
- Melee/Unarmed
- Fast Shot Melee/Unarmed (in FO1 only)
- Solo Melee/Unarmed
- Pure Diplomat
- Dumb (aka Extra Dificulty Mode)
- Junkie (tailor your stats according to drug bonuses, keep yourself in constant drug use)

Then there's the choice of Weapon Skill (generally Small Guns or Melee/Unarmed, but Big and Energy can be worth it too. Throwing is junk). Another choice is going Good or Bad Karma - in 1 its bugged because everyone hates you with bad karma, but in 2 you can do a lot of fun, evil and dastardly shit, and get paid for it.

Evil in 2 is practically an alternate gamepath. Most people shun you, the bad guys think you're badass. Most party-members won't join or will abandon you. After -500 karma or with Childkiller, Bounty Hunters will come after you, and they're some of the hardest encounters in the game, but beating them gets you better weapons earlier. A lot of people won't like or even talk to you if you're a Childkiller, Berserker or Slaver. You get to do a lot of different, nasty quests for people that you would normally be fighting in the good karma playthrough.

The system could be better on a lot of things, tho:
- It really needs the ability of going past 10 on stats, or otherwise its simply not worth it to max most stats, they're lost points. Strength in FO2 is the worst case, PA + Perk + Implant gives you +6 ST. Hell, ST is a really weak stat in general, the bonus in melee combat is rather weak, compared to, say, building a crit-oriented character.
- PE, IN and AG are king. ST, EN and CH are lame. LK is meh.
- Ultimate domination of Small Guns, Lockpick and Speech. The other skills are either tangential, or can be gotten from books. Sneak's main feature is that it allows you to do "stealth-kills" in one round, if you do it right.

flushfire

Augur
One of the things I didn't like in the game, besides some of the other things mentioned, was the uneven difficulty. The journey from Den to VC is imho the hardest, almost the entire MQ is pretty easy and most challenge come from random encounters and side content. It does make Outdoorsman valuable early though so I guess there's that.

Shadenuat

Arcane
1 in most stats, 10 Charisma, max barter, gambling, speech & medical skill was always one of my favorite ways of playing F2 & Arcanum

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In a way, the actual tactical combat is to plan a firefight AROUND your companions. You consider the likely moves of your companions before your enemies, then you move accordingly.
Yeah, but I don't think that was the intended design of the combat, to circumnavigate the dumb AI characters. And it was pretty random sometimes. Marcus for example always closed up into melee range, despite weilding plasma rifles and miniguns.

If you dont want Sulik to wade into the melee with a crappy hammer instead, Collect all of his melee weapons and give him one pistol-animation gun, like P90C or something. Then change his AI options.
True. Although I used him as a melee especially since that was his primary weapon skill. Wanted to get the most of him.

laclongquan

Arcane
The options have close relations to the weapon usage.

If you force NPC having melee weapon only, the close range option will suit him best. But instead, if you get him ranged weapons, close range option simply mean he always try to get close before shooting, which suit burst option (below) but not single shot mode, though it means he has best accuracy.

I am guessing your Marcus has range option set to close

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The options have close relations to the weapon usage.

If you force NPC having melee weapon only, the close range option will suit him best. But instead, if you get him ranged weapons, close range option simply mean he always try to get close before shooting, which suit burst option (below) but not single shot mode, though it means he has best accuracy.

I am guessing your Marcus has range option set to close
LOL, fuck me. XD It was indeed set to close. But I thought when i said "Stay close" to him, it meant stay close to my character, and don't fall behind.

Lexx

Cipher
And of course you can't manage the inventories in a simple way either. No, first you have to talk to the charcter, then choose trade, than add the items one by one, and then click the barter button, then hit close. So in the end I used an unlimited weight cheat and hoarded everything by my character.

Just use stealing skill on them.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
How do you spend the better part of a decade on a website called rpgcodex having not finished Fallout 2?

I know this is a rhetorical question, but in the interests of insults: he couldn't get his shit together because he's a 'tard.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Overall, I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is. "I played a thing and didn't very much care for it."

It's J_C trying to be edgy. It's hilarious. See how upset he's getting if he gets shit for it.

I bet he'd have cared for it if it had fast, visceral 1-word dialogues and immediately obvious C&C whenever you click on a dialogue option.

Meanwhile, F2 which has C&C tied to actual gameplay not just clicking on dialogue options and probably overall more of it than AP is not worthy of replaying.

Popamoler through and through.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Overall, I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is. "I played a thing and didn't very much care for it."

It's J_C trying to be edgy. It's hilarious. See how upset he's getting if he gets shit for it.
I'm sorry for bursting your bubble, but I'm not upset and didn't say anything which implies that I am. You are imagining shit into this. I told you to fuck off because you were acting like an idiot shitposter, but I was having a conversation with the other posters.

I bet he'd have cared for it if it had fast, visceral 1-word dialogues and immediately obvious C&C whenever you click on a dialogue option.

Meanwhile, F2 which has C&C tied to actual gameplay not just clicking on dialogue options and probably overall more of it than AP is not worthy of replaying.

Popamoler through and through.
See, this is the kind of shitposting I was talking about. Sorry mate, but you are just acting like a tryhard edgy Codexian.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
So give me example of those C&C you liked.
I fucked Bishop's wife and daughter in New Reno and I had a child from them (I don't remember which one was the mother), who bacame the leader of New Reno. I dunno, this was like second nature to me.

Last edited:

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ah, the marvelous F2 AI...

Still remember Sulik getting hurt and then running away from me into the enemy horde.
After I've miraculously managed to save him, he goes and does it again.

:argh:

Ocelot

Learned
How do you spend the better part of a decade on a website called rpgcodex having not become part of our retarded hivemind?

ftfy

Believe or not some people would avoid FO altogether because of it's grim setting. Because people have different tastes (!).

Crash

Literate
I sort of like AI controlled party members, as I happen to be allergic to tons of micromanagement in countless similar battles (i.e., Icewind Dale).

Yet of course I am all for developing better and better AI's, I've even tried to convince devs (PDX, Ljungerud) on getting better AI's for future games, including third-party products, but was ignored so far.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I'm not 100% sure as i didn't replay FO2, just trying FO1 mods alongside other simultaneous replays BUT, you can get full companion's AI control in FO1 and i think it's all the same in FO2.

Just use sfall and check the right option in the ini file (companion control = 2 or something )

Still, it was fun playing with Cassidy and Marcus, the latter using a rocket launcher or a minigun, you just had to avoid contact with the ennemy; or ending your career as fish food; using a sniper whatever for yourself.
Of course, they could die horrible in the toughest battles but it was part of the fun.

Just shoot everything in the eyes and watch them explode! :timetoburn:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom