Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption - adventure-RPG from the creators of Quest for Glory

Wtf happened to QfG4 in that retrospective?

sstacks

Arcane
I've been messaging with Corey Cole, he's coming back on the show July 21st to talk about the game now that it's out. Not sure about Lori

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
As per their Kickstarter update, I emailed them earlier today about getting a gog key (I already received a Steam key for the beta version). The gog key arrived via Backerkit about half an hour ago.

a4qh5ip9.jpg

It ended up next to Shivers on my shelf.:love:

Dedup

Augur
My GOG key hit my email about an hour ago. Downloading it now. This may be the first crowdfunded game that I play on release as opposed to waiting a year or so for bug fixes, DLC and enhancements.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam's decision to exclude reviews from non-Steam buyers really hurts this kind of game.

There are only two Steam buyer reviews (both are positive) so no score is displayed on the page (and thus less visibility for Steam algorithm I guess). When you include backer reviews there are 16 and it's 93% positive.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Looks to be off to a strong start -- 100 simultaneous players first day means it's doing better than Shardlight or Technobabylon, which launched with the whole WEG fanfare and fanbase behind them at about 50% of the price (TB later broke 100 after being in a Humble Bundle). It's also about twice what Quest for Infamy launched with, which I think shows that the Coles have been able to hold onto the QFG glamour. Not quite as strong as Academagia, which explores a similar theme, but it might get there by the weekend. Orders of magnitde stronger than PANIC at Multiverse High, another visual-novel-flavored hero school game by well-regarded RPG veterans. I think the only question is whether it's capturing a lot of new players or just already-mortgaged Kickstarter players who aren't adding to the cashflow. Too early to say, but it's worth noting that this was on RPS's most-anticipated RPG lists for 2016 and 2017, so I imagine there is going to be a groundswell of press coverage in the next couple days that will bring in a lot of players. Fingers crossed.

Blackstaff

Arbiter
I got a GOG key of the game for a codexer inclined enough to leave a review and a note on GOG.

Post here and I will send the key by PM if your ugly mug (and codex credential) is good enough for me.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/transolargames/hero-u-rogue-to-redemption/posts/2235027

Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption Is Live!

22085fca099e5796bed9f3c087f787b2_original.gif

Jumping for Joy

It's Alive!
It's been a hectic two days with a few "teething problems," but we Have A Launch!

Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption is now available on Steam at:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/375440/HeroU_Rogue_to_Redemption/

and on GOG at: https://af.gog.com/game/herou_rogue_to_redemption?as=1649904300.

We’re also reworking our web site. The front page has links to Steam, GOG, our Facebook page, and so on: http://www.hero-u.com/.

About Those Steam and GOG Keys
Between launch issues and trying to make sure backers got game keys as soon as possible, I managed to create some confusion. Here's the skinny:
  • I decided to provide a Steam key to EVERY backer.
  • All Alpha and Beta level backers have both Steam and GOG keys.
  • Other backers who requested a GOG key will get one soon.
  • "Beta-Only" - that's actually your live Steam key
  • "Steam Beta Key" - that's also your live Steam key
The confusing names hearken back to the beta test. Everyone who got a Steam beta key then has been updated to have the live version of the game now.

The Next Game Patch
Even before we launched the game, we were thinking about changes we want to make that we couldn't safely include in the launch. There are some errors in the game books, a few dialogues and game events that could use tweaking, and at least one known "game-locking" bug.

(If you see a plaque labeled "Pyoter," it's best not to click on it. There was a bad line of code that freezes the game.) We will also keep a close eye on player reports and feedback over the next few months.

We will probably release a patch with these and other minor fixes in about a month, after which patches should be rare.

Incidentally, several players with Ultra High Definition monitors have reported serious animation issues in the game. This is a general Unity issue that we've also seen reported for other games. The solution - set your monitor refresh rate to 60 Hz. That seems to fix the problem.

Physical Goods and Future Games
We still have some work to do on the Art Book, Bestiary, Soundtrack, Yearbook, and boxed copies of Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption. We expect to ship posters next month, new digital assets as they become ready, and boxed games in late October or early November.

We've started concept and art design on not one, but two, upcoming games. One is a smaller casual game we're calling Summer Daze at Hero-U. The other is of course the second series game, Hero-U: Wizard's Way. We’re committed to creating innovative, enjoyable games.

Oldschool Sierra patching schedule.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Bought it because those two deserve mah money for the Quest for Glory series but damn the price was kinda painful for my poor brazillian wallet.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
134 and climbing. For a Tuesday release, at $35, with major news sites freezing it out from coverage, that seems like a good start. I'm assuming that as strong reviews come in from RPS, Kotaku, Eurogamer, and other mainstream sites -- and as Steam purchases get it over the requisite minimum reviews to have 100% positive listed -- it'll surge. If that happens before the weekend, I assume it will go way above 150. Maybe not the 2000 for Thimbleweed Park or the 3000 for Broken Age, but given the constant hostility toward Sierra adventures, it was sailing into a headwind compared to those games anyway. The relevant benchmarks might be Moebius (136), LSL Reloaded (350), and to some degree QFI (50), as those are comparable inheritors of the Sierra Legacy. It's important to note that even King's Quest, the crown trademark of the Sierra catalogue, only was able to get to 721 on launch, despite a huge budget and the support of the entire gaming press. This game was made on a shoestring (albeit a long shoestring) and, as noted, has gotten no press love.

Anyway, I'm going to try to find time to play it. QFG is one of my all-time favorites, and if this game captures even some of the charm, it'll be worth it.

Hellion

Arcane
Played it for a couple of hours and it certainly isn't the unmitigated disaster I was fearing it to be. It's no Quest for Glory 6 (even though it appears to take place in the same world as the series), and the constant puns are just AWFUL, but here and there you can catch glimpses of what made the QFG games great back in the day. I am almost eager to come home from work and resume playing.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ok men am I screwed if I don't bother socializing at the start of the game?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ok men am I screwed if I don't bother socializing at the start of the game?
You can use cheatengine to freeze the minute counter,that way you only loose time when you train. It is a lot more fun that way. Wasting 15 minutes asking about where the thievy books are is idiotic.

Does anyone know where to learn stealth?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
At least early on it feels far more weighted to adventure gaming than QfG did, but I appreciate the QfG references and some of the puns. It seems charming in the way the QfG games were but it's really making me want to play those again despite the better graphics. Maybe I will after I run through this once.

All in all, I'm glad it came out and glad I picked it up.

V_K

Arcane
Never played Persona, but being a couple of hours in I'd say it's not that different from QfG2 in terms structure. You get a safe area where you can train your skill and socialize with NPCs (city in QfG2, school in Hero-U) and a dangerous area (desert/catacombs), but the plot moves less by your exploration of those and more by scheduled events.
What I really don't like, however, is the move to text menu-based interactions instead of usual PnC. On the one hand, it does give more options, but having to go through a menu each time you need to go through a door gets old really fast.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ok i played for around a week time ingame and must say that i am not very impress. The whole game is a loop of doing the same thing every day,it have like 10-15 similar location and you just visit them at the same time. Also for a rogue game there is not thieving at all. You get the retarded and pointless dialogue option to steal every second item you come across,but you never do because their are eater some huge stone statue or your protagonist fells ashamed or don't feel need for it. I sneak around open doors to rooms,then i am met with harder locks on chest,i say "sure game I will train more",a few days later i manage to open the chests and there is nothing to steal in them. Whole week and my guy couldn't steal anything. I train all kind of pointless skills that i haven't used yet. Also all the characters are annoying and want to stab them in the eye,don't know who would want to fuck any of the women in the game. There is a gypsy,a gossiping secretary,retarded milf "paladin",neggress cock and a strong independent woman that constantly spout feminist shit. Only characters i find interesting are asshole librarian,blackmarket faggot and a rat trader. Must say that Quest for Infamy is a lot better game than this is. The whole game feels like loop of the climbing tree and the knife throwing place in Quest for Glory 1. Another idiotic thing is the placement of that asshole that give you a negative points when he catches you at night,when you come down from the stairs or ender from the garden he always sees you,you have not time get stealthy. Oh well i will keep on playing in the hopes of becoming better.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
sadly, the game is kinda crappy. and if it's true that it only takes 40-50 hours to play through it even though you spend most of the time training/eating/going to classes/sleeping, than the game is also pretty empty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom