Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption; Transolar Games

Back during the golden age of graphic adventure games in the early 1990s, Corey and Lori Cole created the Quest for Glory series, and it was indeed glorious. But then Sierra On-Line died, and all that talent was scattered to the winds, never to return. Many years later, a number of Sierra veterans tried to make a comeback, in a series of spectacularly ill-conceived Kickstarter campaigns that ran throughout 2012. The Coles' Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption was probably the most tragic of these. Pitched as a vaguely casual tile-based RPG rather than as a Quest for Glory-like adventure/RPG experience, it failed to attract much attention by the standards of the day. It was only after the campaign was over and done with that the Coles decided that actually they did want to make something more like Quest for Glory. Which they eventually did, though not before having to do a second Kickstarter in 2015 and also re-mortgage their house.

Now, almost six years after the original Kickstarter, Hero-U is finally done. And from what beta testers have told us, it might actually be decent. The Coles fumbled the release a bit, but the game seems to be properly out now. Here's its trailer and description:

After two successful Kickstarter campaigns and over five years of development, we are proud to present Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption. Created by the critically acclaimed game developers Lori Ann Cole and Corey Cole (Quest for Glory, Shannara, Castle of Dr. Brain, Mixed-Up Fairy Tales), the Hero-U series follows the role-playing adventures of top students at the Hero University.

In Rogue to Redemption, Shawn O'Conner strives to become Rogue of the Year while exploring a mysterious castle, making friends and enemies, fighting deadly foes, and uncovering the secrets of his own hidden past. Meanwhile players will enjoy the rich and humorous dialogue and descriptions as they guide Shawn through his adventures.

In the tradition we created in Quest for Glory and in Shannara, Hero-U is a hybrid adventure/role-playing game. During the day, Shawn attends classes at the University, practices his skills, and tries to make friends with other students. At night, it's time to pull out weapons, armor, and traps to explore the abandoned wine cellars, stunning sea caves, creepy catacombs, and deadly dungeon beneath Hero-U. Most combat is optional for those who prefer a pure adventure game, but there are ample rewards for those who choose to valorously fight the creatures that threaten the school and all of Sardonia.

Key Game Features:
  • Story and Character-Driven Adventure Game
  • Role-Playing Game Featuring Skills, Equipment, and Tactical Combat
  • Many Ways to Play for Maximum Replayability
  • Turn-Based, Non-Twitch, Avoidable Combat
  • Seamless Blend of Dramatic Story and Comedy
  • Created by Acclaimed Game Designers Lori and Corey Cole
  • Soundtrack by Award-Winning Composer Ryan Grogan
  • Immersive Mini-Games and Challenging Stealth Gameplay
  • First of a Series of Games Set at the Hero University

Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption is available now on Steam and GOG for $35, with a 10% discount until next week. Does it have a chance in hell of making up for all those years of development? Probably not, considering barely anybody even seems to be aware that the game is out. We'll try to do our part, though. Expect a Codex review in the hopefully not-too-distant future.

Last edited by a moderator:

daveyd

Savant
I'm interested but not necessarily ~$31 interested. Perhaps Heroine's Quest has spoiled me. Will wait to see some more reviews.

Hevnknekt

Educated
That sure is a non-binary hero they've got there.

header.jpg

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I really hope they do well, they fucking deserve it after all the joy they brought me as a kid with their games

Edit: Bought a copy for me and my best friend from school who introduced me to Hero’s Quest, looks interesting and I like the art style

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I think it's funny to contrast the Codex's grognardy screenshots with RPS's highlighting of the game's punning, slightly transgressive humor:

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Played over thirteen hous now. Focus is more on the schoolstuff right now, but you can feel the progression of the rogue-skills you learn. The story is interesting and after all the dark and gritty games of the last years, it's nice to play a game about growing up and being a good person. I like it so far :).

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Instant end states are real. They lack a good theme song and witty blurb to make them memorable, but otherwise :incline:.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Finished it. This was fun.

There are choices, but mostly not in the dialogues, but in the way how you want to spend your day (learning, chosing a course, etc). The combat is not very complex, but allows varriety through gadgets and maybe spells. You can miss a lot, if you don't play careful (should have chosen that Wizardcourse, humph), but it motivates to play again.

The story is good too. It's not about saving the world this time, but about growing up and how to choose your life.

I liked it and I think I will replay it, because I missed a few spots and two teachers. I hope there will be a german translation, because you could fix younger children with this too. And like I said it's nice to play something that isn't all about doom and gloom.

Last edited:

Quantomas

Savant
What I can say so far, it comes with an excellent manual. It is a pleasure to read, especially in these days of rushed tutorials.

If you started gaming in the olden days, you may appreciate it. Start with the technical manual, then continue with the student's handbook.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Seems like the game is selling well both on Steam and GOG, but I wonder how somebody who never played this kind of game would feel about it
A friend of mine called it slow, and didn’t understand the puns... would that be the opinion of the new generation?
Is this too niche for its own good?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Having fun with the game, I like how open ended the character development is.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Seems like the game is selling well both on Steam and GOG, but I wonder how somebody who never played this kind of game would feel about it
A friend of mine called it slow, and didn’t understand the puns... would that be the opinion of the new generation?
Is this too niche for its own good?

Good question. I think you read most of the puns at the start, but otherwise there are enough funny moments without the puns. As for the people who never played this kind of game: I really think it depends on the person. I think the system is easy enough to understand, once you learn that it is on you to drive the game forward. You have to be willing to click or try everything to continue and try stuff out, but once you overcome that it's fun ... huh, I think you can say that about the old games too :D.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I just can't buy a game with that kind of ingenious title and an aesthetic close to naive art.

I will not even pirate it, only if receives two highly conflicting reviews like an imbecile prestigious gaming magazine would do.

Andhaira

Arcane
It's only $11.00 ($10.79 with special 24 hour discount). Think I might get it...

How deep is the spellcasting?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom