Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The New World Update #28: Power Armor

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Iron Tower Studio; The New World; Vince D. Weller

We've learned a lot about weapons and gadgets in The New World, but relatively little about armor. Today's monthly development update sheds some light on that topic. At its core, armor in The New World works much like in The Age of Decadence, with the addition of multiple damage types, each with its own damage resistance value. That much we've heard before. Like most science fiction RPGs, The New World also has power armor with abilities beyond that of mundane armors. Unlike most science fiction RPGs, said power armor isn't the ultimate armor that overshadows everything else, but instead provides alternate methods of damage absorption. There are two types, both of which appear to be inspired by D&D/PoE-style mechanics. I quote:

There isn't much to report at the moment (we're making good progress, the combat AI is now taking the first steps and attacking the player with extreme prejudice; the starting town is looking better and better; Joao is working non-stop on the assets which helps us tremendously, Mazin is working on randomizing portraits, Ivan is making armor models, etc), so let's talk about the power armor and armor in general.

I dislike linear progressions in all forms, which is why we went with damage resistance vs chance to dodge (the heavier the armor, the harder to dodge attacks) in AoD, instead of generic Armor Class, whatever that is. Still, two key stats would only take you so far, which is why we added different types of damage: melee, ballistic, energy. Now you can have great ballistic armor, for example, but if you let some berserkers get into your personal space, you'll find yourself at a major disadvantage.

Anyway, the problem with power armor is it has to be awesome, which isn't bad in itself, but this awesomeness tends to make all the other armor obsolete (not to mention that *traditional* power armor should be pretty good against all types of damage, which would make the different types of damage pointless the moment you get your hands on such armor).

So we decided to explore a different direction. The power armor isn't really 'armor'. It's a device that creates a defensive field around you. As such it doesn't have any damage resistance whatsoever.

There are 3 basic types: light, medium, heavy. You wear it like a vest. You can't wear other vests, so it's a trade off: damage resistance vs shield vs deflector. More on that in a moment. You can wear a jacket or a trenchcoat with it, so you will have some DR, just not as much as with a tactical vest.

At the moment the armor comes in two varieties:

- an energy shield that absorbs all damage until depleted (no DR). Essentially it grants you immunity for the first couple of turns, then you're on your own. If you can't use this immunity wisely and kill a couple of enemies fast, the armor isn't for you. The other energy shield (the gadget one) is weaker and doesn't absorb all damage (i.e. has DR), and can't be moved (i.e. you 'cast' it on a tile). Light, medium, heavy - 20, 40, 60 HP.

- a deflector that turns a critical into a regular strike, a regular into a graze, a graze into a miss. The deflector will lose power with every turn, so we'll need to count turns and reduce %. For example, a heavy model will start with 90% chance to deflect at turn 1, 80% at turn 2, 70% at turn 3, 60% at turn 4, and so on until the deflector is out of juice (0%). Medium will go with 90, 75, 60, 45, 30, 15, 0. Light - 90, 70, 50, 30, 10, 0

Since it's non-linear we can easily expand it and add more properties and different defensive abilities. While we're at it, here is the targeting mockup that gives you the full picture without listing all the different THC individually:

^ 5% chance to score a critical, 45% THC, extra 10% chance to graze, 40% chance to miss
Cool stuff. Check out the full update for a look at some of those new portraits Vault Dweller mentioned, and the story of the characters they belong to.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
3MfQiWh.jpg
XIeuqvX.jpg
24IvZGN.jpg

Is it me, or are these variations on Tom Hardy and/or possibly James McAvoy?

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Also, does that mean no exoskeleton/robot-type power armor?

You gotta admit, shit like that made you feel powerful.
Booting+up+original+duology+memes+_29305ec8ddaaf1055b1bbf9e7fdd4458.jpg

Shadenuat

Arcane
I always thought it was fun to wipe the floor with bandits after you got kevlar armor. But contextual strengths and weaknesses for armor in combat should be fun too.

Dr Schultz

Augur
I very much like the concept. Not that much the art. And it's a first when TNW is concerned.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I very much like the concept. Not that much the art. And it's a first when TNW is concerned.
Which art? The armor? It's a very rough sketch to show the direction, not a proper concept art or anything resembling a final model.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
That to-hit-chance bar is sexy as hell. It's so dense and informative. Does the 20 square sampling mean everything is done in 5% increments?

Dr Schultz

Augur
Yes, the armor. The sketch gives me the same kind of feeling of a piece of armor from a Marvel comic book, while the general art style of TNW seems much more down to the Earth (joke not intended).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom