Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dying Light 2 Stay Human - zombie survival with choice & consequence

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I think the youtuber is slightly overreacting this early but still a worrying development.

LGBTQ and inconcloooooosive confirmed
:imperialscum:

Guess who is not going to play the game :). Is Avellone an sjw?

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I'm a chink and I could give a shit less that 99% of the games I play don't even have orientals/azns in them.

Though that article reads like they're trying to placate, not pander. One can only hope.

Oracsbox

Yep the youtuber totally overreacted,Techland just got in early to deflect any silly controversy before it starts.I'm actually more worried about the humour element disappearing this was always a nice relief and offset the horrific situation the character was in.I hope they don't go full grimdark

Oracsbox

Normally yes I'd be concerned but I don't know I just don't get much of a sjw vibe from this game plus it's mainly made by Poles they're not that corrupted yet.

flyingjohn

Arcane
I think the youtuber is slightly overreacting this early but still a worrying development.

LGBTQ and inconcloooooosive confirmed
:imperialscum:

Not gonna happen without loosing the entire writing team.All this means is that some characters in the story will just change color without changing their dialogue.It makes the most sense.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.vg247.com/2018/07/03/dying-light-2-chris-avellone-techland-interview/

From pen and paper to Dying Light 2 – Chris Avellone wants to flip the RPG script

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Alpha Protocol, Fallout 2, Fallout: New Vegas, Pillars of Eternity, and Divinity: Original Sin 2. You might assume this is simply a list of some of the best, most reactive RPGs ever made, but it’s actually just some of the amazing video games Chris Avellone has written for.

Every game Avellone works on seems to benefit from his pen, every experience offering branching narratives and worlds that react to the player, even outside of scripted dialogue sequences.

So where exactly did that talent come from? The answer is pen-and-paper RPGs.

Before games, Avellone headed up RPG sessions with friends, taking on the role of gamesmaster before leading them on a journey. This intimate storytelling method allowed him to gauge the reactions of his players firsthand, seeing the looks on their faces as he pulled the rug out from under them, lifted them up, and surprised them at every turn.

dying_light_2_e3_reveal_screen_2-600x338.jpg

“Over time – and a whole mess of mistakes later – I made attempts to refine my gamemaster skills to adjust to the players,“ Avellone tells me. “This meant, for example, designing adventures where every character’s skillset had the chance to shine so no one person hogged the limelight.”

He would make sure each player had their own secrets, revelations, substories, and even unique items only they could use. He mastered the art of making everyone feel special in a shared experience, while also being able to react to an important random element: the players themselves.

“Working in video games is a lot like being a virtual gamemaster,” he explains, “so many of those techniques for making sure the player is entertained are much the same as being a tabletop gamemaster.”

Most recently, Avellone took to the stage at E3 to announce Dying Light 2, a zombie-slaying sequel from Techland. The first game was an exciting, parkour-fueled adventure through a grizzly, terrifying world. As an action game, there’s not much it needed to do to improve, so Techland decided instead to focus on the writing, turning it into an action RPG that reacts to everything you do. With Avellone on the writing team, along with Karolina Stachyra, a writer who worked on The Witcher 3’s Bloody Baron questline, you should be very excited.

“I’ve done a lot of branching storylines, branching dialogues, and a variety of reactive events and different endings in most of the titles I’ve worked on, so to be able to apply that to an open-world space like Dying Light 2 is a fun challenge,” Avellone says. “Because I’ve had a chance to work on extremely reactive games, I know some of the best techniques to organise the flow of the plot and characters to account for a wide variety of actions.”

One of my strongest memories of the first Dying Light is a sidequest that asked me to save a kid from their zombie dad. I sprint across the rooftops, climb through the window, and cleave their undead dad in two with a claymore sword the size of a tree. He was like a banana split. His kid comes out of the cupboard where he’s been hiding and thanks me for saving him, never once recoiling at the site of his gross, split in half father lying at his feet.

Dying Light 2 plans to fix this. As well as offering branching dialogues, Techland hopes to create a reactive world, bringing it to life outside of conversations, to avoid similar things pulling you out of the experience.

“We have new AI in the game, and it will react to different situations,” creative director Adrian Ciszewski explains. “For example, AI in Dying Light 2 can ‘sense’ if the place or the situation they find themselves in is dangerous. And if so, they can make a decision to get away from that danger.

dying_light_2_e3_reveal_screen_5-600x338.jpg

“Having a reactive world is really important for what we want to achieve. Ours is a game where decisions are made through actions, and not just through which option you choose on a dialogue tree. Do you remember the Peacekeeper occupying the water tower in our E3 demo? You could have pushed him off the tower and that would have consequences.”

Some of this was helped along by Avellone, who has learned a thing or two over his years of working on RPGs about the unexpected things players can do to mess with your carefully crafted narrative.

“The big one is learning that you shouldn’t funnel the player – they’re here to explore the space; let them, don’t shackle them,” Avellone says. “It can be a challenge to tell an open-world story if you’re not considering what the player brings to the equation and allowing them to assume an equal role in the events taking place and even better, causing the events that lead to the story progression.

“It’s easy to imagine a story that takes from A to B to C with a set series of events, but in an open-world game, you have to put the player agency and their ability to affect the world at the forefront. So for example, rather than A to B to C, you take a step back, assume the player starts at ‘A’, and then can do all manner of events to cause ‘B’ to come to them through the actions they do in the open-world – or, a number of different ‘B’s, not just one. Or even better, the player creates ‘B’ all on their own, and the entire world reacts to it. When a player can literally see themselves as an agent of change, it empowers them even more.”

dying_light_2_e3_reveal_screen_8-600x338.jpg

This design ethos balks at the idea of making you follow a breadcrumb trail. Instead, you are free to experiment and your actions shape the world and your character, rather than a story shaping the protagonist in a pre-defined way. The idea behind Dying Light 2 is to create “an open story that complements an open-world game.”

The concept has been the same since the very beginning, and Avellone has been on the project since that planning phase. He created the lore for Dying Light 2, he co-created the storyline along with the other talented writers, and he developed many of the game’s critical characters. The reactivity, which Techland dubs the ‘World System’, was also co-created by Avellone, working closely with designers and programmers at Techland. His grubby, gamesmaster mitts are all over everything.

Some choices you make will be apparent straight away, some will bite you in the ass later, just like all those zombies lurching around the streets, and all of them will shape the world, your character, and everyone you meet. Whatever state the world is in at the end, though, it will be your fault.

“What’s interesting about what we showed at E3 is that neither choice is a ‘good’ one,” Ciszewski says. “The Peacekeepers brutally punish any trivial misdemeanour, while the bandits use people for their own gain, but they have a different approach to punishing people. You could choose to do nothing and walk away, and that itself is going to have a different outcome, because the bandits are not going to be able to build their empire without your help. Or you could try and actually change those factions’ beliefs. For example, a new leader for the Peacekeepers may fundamentally change their entire legal system.

dying_light_2_e3_reveal_screen_9-600x338.jpg

“Of course, what we’ve shown you is just one way this entire scenario could have played out – the protagonist enters the water tower with information about a Peacekeeper emissary. If the player had entered the tower with different information, the whole scenario could’ve taken a completely different course.”

When asked about these choices, whether there’s right and wrong, good or bad, Techland describes them as “shades of grey”. I prefer this to the binary good and evil choices of some older RPGs, but it does make you worry if the game will have anything to say if it’s not taking sides. Luckily, Techland isn’t planning to shy away from its political overtones. Ciszewski just wants you to discover the message for yourself.

“There is a stream that runs through Dying Light 2; a common thread that ties together everything that we do,” he says. “But I don’t want to spell it out. I’d prefer players to experience it at a subconscious level.”

Dying Light 2 might be a zombie game, but there are some brains pulsating beneath that squishy exterior. From what we’ve learned so far, it will be unlike any zombie game you’ve played before.

“I’m addicted to challenging a lot of tropes, and trying to flip them on their head and see what shakes out story-wise,” Avellone says. “I also tend to favor antagonists and rivals that have a higher agenda – not because it makes them superior, but because ideally players don’t just want to prove themselves physically superior, but they also want to challenge your enemy’s philosophy to the point where it breaks down… which I see as a far superior victory to simply punching an enemy’s lights out.”

So grab a pen and paper because Dying Light 2 is out in 2019.

Roygbiv

Novice
The post apocalyptic setting is a huge turn off imho. The thing that i liked about the first game was that it was set on an island, and that made help feel just out of reach. This is just straight up Fallout type scavenger cities.

redactir

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
The post apocalyptic setting is a huge turn off imho. The thing that i liked about the first game was that it was set on an island, and that made help feel just out of reach. This is just straight up Fallout type scavenger cities.

I had a dream the other night. The daylight was heading toward an end but one would estimate a couple hours remain. As I walked forward a bit I was struck by how lights started turning on everywhere at once lighting the street. I lookedup to see the sky had completely changed. It was beyond opaque. The whole space above wanted to burst like a storm's version of a super volcano.

Then it happened. My vision all changes as if it was pitch-dark night with nothing lit.
I'm blasted by rainfall and piling water push itself around me like a powerful river.
I was unable to look anywhere but down.

I try to orient myself toward anykind of shelter and move as the water level jumps from ankle to knee.

There's so much water it's not content with waiting to reach the ground. It's racing up into my nose. It takes seconds for me to steal breaths.
The street is overtaken where water instead of landing shoots off in any direction it can.

Tall trees become water falls. All landmarks and the yards around them are eroded and washed away. Only pathetic sandy hills remain.

But I completely agree I hate these stale looking worlds or depressing reminders of reality simply rendered post apocalyptic. I'm not hyped for that. But we shall see.

hpstg

Savant
They seem to care very much about C&C. If the action game play is still good and the world and factions make sense, it will be a very nice game indeed.

The first one had a great atmosphere and great support over time.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-power-the-ultimate-vision-for-the-open-world

Dying Light 2's choices will power “the ultimate vision for the open world”
Techland's Adrian Ciszewski details how the upcoming 'narrative sandbox' enables players to manipulate a zombie-filled city

For anyone who hasn't played the first one, it would be easy to dismiss Dying Light 2 as yet another zombie game. But developer Techland has far greater ambitions for the upcoming sequel.

In addition to the original Dying Light team, the title is also the product of venerable RPG developer Chris Avellone, who has helped take the series is a fresh direction. In the game's announcement video, Avellone described the hundreds of choices players will make throughout their zombie-slaying adventures and the visible impact these will have on Dying Light 2's open world city.

There's even a new engine under the hood, created from scratch to simulate the central city and power the 'choices and consequences' concept that will go hand-in-hand with any conversation about Dying Light 2. Behind the scenes is a "huge matrix" for the game world and all its related systems, from the factions to the zombies and even resources like clean water. While Avellone promised "hundreds of choices", our conversation with Techland chief creative officer Adrian Ciszewski suggests this might be a marketing hook simplifying the game's overarching concept.

"We're thinking about choices and consequences as a gameplay, as a narrative sandbox - not just picking a dialogue choice in a cutscene and branching the story"

"We didn't count the number of choices we can do, because it's really systemic," he tells GamesIndustry.biz. "For example, the Peacekeepers faction - they're clearing the streets of baddies, but they're also clearing the dark zones and the streets from infected. That's a system.

"If you tell the Peacekeepers about a building [full of zombies], the zombies will move from that location into another one, but that will create other problems because there will be more zombies in that other part of the city. If the Peacekeepers clear part of the dark zone, it will push the zombies to find another place to hide. It's much more like a gameplay systemic thing."

Another example Ciszewski offers is the Scavengers faction, which sets about restoring and repairing buildings. Influence events to make them move closer to the bridge, and this too will be repaired, opening up other parts of the city for the various factions. Every group has its own goals, enemies and motivations, their own problems that can be sold, their own triggers that can be used to encourage action or relocation.

In this way, it's player-driven choices that shape the world, not set moments laid out by Techland-developed quests, with Ciszewski adding: "Every time, every NPC will have a different impact and a different rule."

He continues: "It's up to you. Just know the rules and [you can] trigger things in the world to make it look different, and that will trigger different activities, different rewards."

There are, of course, larger choices to be made at the end of those main and side quests. In the example shown at E3 2018 (which you can watch above), players must decide whether to take out the men controlling the city's water supply... or team up with them and share in the profits. The former helps certain areas of the city to thrive, while the latter attracts shady merchants looking to sell items to desperate survivors.

In most choice-driven games, it's hard to escape the feeling that the developer has in mind which choice is 'good' or 'bad' (in this example, freeing up the water supply would almost certainly be good). But Ciszewski warns that Techland has been careful to ensure no choice can purely be classed as 'good' - all have both positive and negative consequences for the city. Yes, people are able to readily access running water but the Peacekeeper faction gains more power and hangs anyone that steals food or fails to fall in line.

Adrian Ciszewski, Techland

"It's always grey, but it's always clear," says Ciszewski. "The rules are always clear. From my point of view, one might be the best choice but it might not from your point of view.

He continues: "Every time you [make a choice], there's a clear understanding of what could happen. Eventually you could be surprised because it's sandbox gameplay, and you might not realise, like, 'oh shit, I didn't know this was working like that' - but later, you just understand this new rule and you use it later on, because you won't be surprised any more. You'll know every time you do this, you trigger that, and that's a lesson you learned from your previous choice.

"You can learn more by exploring the world, talking with people, reading stuff - there are a lot of different options when it comes to learning those systems."

Learning to manipulate Dying Light 2's various factions and gameplay systems also opens up new possibilities for players to tackle situations in different ways. Ciszewski describes a castle filled with hardened foes, very difficult for a starting player to contend with. But learn their motives and trigger a particular conflict on the other side of the city and they will redeploy their troops, lowering the security at the castle and making it possible to sneak in quietly.

"The ultimate vision for the open world game needed to be improved by way of having agency on both the gameplay and story side"

"That's the shortcut you made, because you understand the rules of the world," says Ciszewski. "Otherwise you need to level up your character, do certain side quests, learn new skills and eventually kill all the guys in the castle. But that's up to you."

In this way, Dying Light 2 does not fall prey to the pitfalls of level-gating - the practice of deterring players from exploring certain areas of an open world by making it incredibly difficult to do so. Such a practice can damage a game's scope as players realise the freedom they were promised is instead a series of invisible walls guiding you down the developers' set path.

While Ciszewski acknowledges there will be certain regions with a higher difficulty, the systemic gameplay gives players the freedom to change this.

"It's not like a linear approach from level 1 to level 10 - sometimes close to a level 10 location there is a level 1 chunk, for example," he explains. "It's a randomly populated thing, and it's related to enemies.

Player choices will have a visible impact on the city

"So in one part of the city, for example, there might be a lot of zombies - even during the day - because there are no people. But if you make people interested in this location, there won't be as many zombies so the difficulty level will drop. It's up to you, as you have the tools to manipulate these things. There's no way for us to create this linear approach because you as the player can shape it."

While sequels are inevitably bigger and bolder than their forebears, Ciszewski reveals that Dying Light 2 actually realises some of the ideas the studio had for its previous title.

"During the production of the first game, we'd been thinking the ultimate vision for the open world game needed to be improved by way of having agency on both the gameplay and story side," he says.

It was this concept that managed to secure the interest and later involvement of Avellone. Having spoken to the RPG veteran at various conferences and industry events, Techland reached out to see if he could help them achieve their ambitions. For the past two and a half year, Avellone and the team have worked closely on every aspect of Dying Light 2.

"The world we've created is post-apocalyptic and at the same time like the medieval dark ages, very similar to [Chris'] way of thinking about the post-apocalyptic thing," says Ciszewski. "He also helped with creating the lore, not just the choices and consequences. So the entire world design was done with Chris throughout."

"It's up to you. Just know the rules and [you can] trigger things in the world to make it look different"

Avellone is not the only RPG talent on the team. The studio has built a new story team from the ground up for this project, including former CD Projekt Red writer Karolina Stachyra, who penned the Blood Baron questline for that developer's seminal The Witcher 3. Ciszewski tells us the shift towards RPG-quality writing and gameplay system is no accident.

"There's a better connection between the player and the game if it's part RPG," he explains. "It makes it better to express yourself, you can do something with your character or avatar. Choices and consequences are just an example of RPG mechanics that gives you the feeling that it's your hero, your character."

He continues: "But it's still an action game. That's the crucial thing. Choices and consequences are always connected with RPGs, especially hardcore ones. But our vision for choices and consequences is different. We're creating a sandbox experience on the gameplay side - there are systems, rules, limitations, things like that. Players understand they're able to combine these things to create their own [experience], and we thought maybe it could work the same way on the story side.

"We're thinking about choices and consequences as a gameplay, as a narrative sandbox - not just picking a dialogue choice in a cutscene and branching the story."

Of course, Techland is keen to avoid alienating the audience it impressed with the original Dying Light. Ciszewski assures that "everything that's great about the first game is still here", ranging from the parkour and the melee combat to the day and night cycles that bring out different enemies.

He goes on to add that "fans will be amazed" at how Techland is evolving each of these features, but also confidently predicts that Dying Light 2 can significantly expand the series' audience.

"We think that choices and consequences, and the lore we've created for this world, it's all something that could be a surprise for people that didn't like the first game," he says. "It's more about humans and the relations between factions, so it's not just for the zombie fans."

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

https://www.pcgamesn.com/dying-light-2/dying-light-2-wildcard-factions

Dying Light 2’s wildcard factions can change the story in “unexpected” ways
Dying-Light-2-factions-580x334.jpg

Dying Light 2’s demos so far have focused on its larger factions – namely the Peacekeepers and Scavengers. But its world is coloured by numerous smaller groups who can shape its world in surprising ways.

“They are like wildcards that can impact the flow of the story to some extent,” lead designer Tymon Smektala tells us. “Something unexpected. The Untainted is one such group.”

The Untainted are a radical faction that believes the way to salvation is by getting out of your head. In one example given at Gamescom, the Peacekeepers and Scavengers are fighting over an ideal spot for an outpost – the former so that they can create a trading post, the latter so that they can produce plants for biofuel. But the player has a third option – to support the Untainted in taking over the area to grow plants that can in turn be used to create drugs.

The benefit is the introduction of powerful combat stimulants to your world. The downside are the stimmed-up bandits now roaming the city streets, providing tougher encounters. “This is a narrative possibility in the game, because this changes the relationship between the Scavengers and the Peacekeepers,” Smektala says. “And it also changes the gameplay in an unexpected way.”

Wildcard factions will less widespread than their larger equivalents, usually tied to specific regions and locations. But they’ll provide another way to ensure your playthrough is different once Dying Light 2 launches in 2019.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/dying-light-2/dying-light-2-vehicles

Dying Light 2’s vehicles hint at the direction of its DLC
Dying-Light-2-vehicles-580x334.png

Dying Light 2 might be a radical rework of the first game but Techland hasn’t forgotten some of the lessons learned in the DLC. Like The Following before it, this sequel will feature vehicles you can drive – albeit in less prominent form.

“There will be some vehicles you can use in the game,” lead designer Tymon Smektala tells us. “Of course, first you need to introduce them to the world by helping scavengers with the production of fuel.”

Dying Light 2’s world is built on the RPG-like push and pull of decisions like these. In the demo we saw today at Gamescom, a rebuilt bridge allowed passage to vehicles, introducing new possibilities to the map. But players shouldn’t expect a vehicular free-for-all.

“It’ll not be to the extent of The Following, which was basically a parkour-slash-vehicle-based zombie game,” Smektala says. “But you’ll get to drive vehicles in Dying Light 2.”

Techland isn’t yet willing to say whether that means we’ll have more open areas to explore than in the original game, but Smektala reassures that we will “find space to drive those vehicles.”

“You’ll probably find even more places to drive those vehicles as we support the game after release,” he says. “Driving gives us a new feature – a new door which we can explore after the release of the game.”

It sounds as if Dying Light 2 will repeat the DLC pattern of its predecessor, then, leaning into its vehicular mechanics once the game comes out in 2019.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I still need to play Dying Light 1 but something about the beginning of that game irks me to no end. I think it's those obnoxious little kids running around. I just wanna punch them and feel them recoil in shock against my fist but the engine won't let me do it

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Full interview: https://www.pcgamesn.com/dying-light-2/dying-light-2-wildcard-factions-vehicles

Dying Light 2’s wildcard factions will make your life harder
Large groups like the Peacekeepers are in power across the region, but smaller parties have their own agendas, and rewards

dl2.jpg

Dying Light 2’s world is a complex one. Its top-level choices appear simple enough: Do you support the authoritarian Peacekeepers or the idealistic Scavengers? Should you explore by day to avoid the infected or by night to raid their nests? But there’s greater nuance to be found below the surface. The Peacekeepers hand out free water and make regions safer to explore, for example, but if you fall foul of their strict laws you could become a victim of their conservatism.

Which of these big factions you choose to support in each region will drastically change the character of that location, and the way the game plays therein. But there are also wildcard factions that further complicate the the choices you have to make. Smaller groups such as the Untainted boast less influence overall, but they can still disrupt the world, the way the story plays out, and your experience of both.

We spoke to Dying Light 2 lead designer Tymon Smektała about the part wildcard factions will play in the game, the challenge of managing the gangs’ complex web of agendas, and how much space we’re going to have to hoon about in vehicles.

Can you tell us a little more about the Untainted?

Tymon Smektała, lead designer: So how it works is that in the world of Dying Light 2 you have few main factions. The Peacekeepers, the Scavengers, and a few more we’re not ready to discuss yet. But there are also smaller groups like the Untainted that can have an impact on the flow of the story to some extent – they’re like wildcards in the story, something unexpected.

So, for example, the Peacekeepers and the Scavengers are fighting for an abandoned swimming pool because it’s a great place for an outpost. The Peacekeepers want to create a training ground there because it’s easy to mop the blood from tiles, while the Scavengers want to start growing plants that they can use to produce fuel – they have this craftsman who understands that there are special types of plants you can use to create biofuel that powers vehicles. The Untainted believe that the way to salvation, the way to solve the problems of the world, is to grow plants that can be used to create drugs.

01_Pool_Empty.jpg

POOL EMPTY

02_Pool_Garden.jpg

POOL GARDEN

What kind of drugs?

The drugs have different uses but some of them are powerful stimulants that change how you behave in combat. So you may think, ‘I want this in my world because that’s something that will help’, but then this has a nasty consequence in the game because it changes the relationship between the Scavengers and the Peacekeepers – and those change the gameplay in unexpected ways because it’s not only you that has access to these powerful stimulants, but also the general population of the city. As a result, you’ll start encountering bandits and other people who are using them, and sometimes the encounters will be more difficult because of that decision.

You describe them as a wildcard faction. Does that mean they’re less widespread than, say, the Peacekeepers?

Yes. So the Peacekeepers, the Scavengers, and the other factions are basically a theme that runs through the whole sequel. These guys have agendas, they have philosophies, and they have specific ways to approach the situations they’re in. For example, the Peacekeepers have a very simple philosophy: they just want every infected dead. So what they’re doing is, if they take hold of a district, they try to clean out the dark places, and then kill the infected on the streets. You can join them and help with this.

03_Fuel.jpg

FUEL DEPOT

04_PK_Training_Arena1.jpg

TRAINING AREA

But the Scavengers, they don’t think that’s the solution for this world – they don’t think that the new world can be built on killing every infected because, basically, that’s pointless. You kill some, but then more are coming. So the Scavengers want to create this haven for themselves – a place where they can just fence themselves off from the infected. They want to build this place using their craftsman skills, using their building skills, and they think that if they build barriers high enough then they’ll be able to keep the infected outside of their new world, and that they can create their own self-sustaining community inside.

Each group wants something different, but it’s a theme that goes through the whole city, the whole region – everywhere you can encounter those guys. The Untainted, and other wildcard groups like that, are smaller, and more tied to a specific region and location. They’re not as organised, but still they can change the flow of the narrative.

It seems like there’s going to be a huge number of potential combinations?

Yes! In the narrative room at our studio we have this whole wall covered in all of the relationships, choices, and consequences. It was easy at the start, but now that the game is getting bigger it’s kind of hard to get a grasp of all of it. Thankfully, we have a huge narrative team writing things, and those guys live this story, so they’re quite fluent in it all. If you don’t understand, or forget, something as a game designer, they can help you out and explain what it is and how those various elements connect to each other.

05_Bridge_Collapsed.jpg

BRIDGE COLLAPSED

05_Bridge_Rebuilt.jpg

BRIDGE REBUILT

In one region, the Scavengers will rebuild a bridge if brought to power and introduce vehicles. Can you elaborate on that?

It won’t be to the same extent it was in The Following, which was basically a parkour slash driving-based zombie game, but you’ll get to drive vehicles in Dying Light 2. But first you need to introduce them to the world by helping the Scavengers with the production of fuel [which requires the bridge]. Of course, what they mean is that it gives us space in which we can explore after the release of the game and build on.

That suggests there may be some more open areas on the map…

[Laughs] I would rather not say too much, but you’ll find space to drive those vehicles. And, as I said, you’ll probably find even more places to drive them as we support the game after release…

Gerrard

Arcane
Meanwhile Dying Light EE is still $60/50€ base price (the price in Potato was lowered literally 2 days ago, and it's still more expensive than W3, not counting the other DLC).
:keepmyjewgold:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom