Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
As players earn experience points in Fallout 76 and level up, they will accrue perk points; one per level. Gamers who played Fallout 4 will recognize this system. However, the way that players spend perk points in Fallout 76 is very different from the perk chart from Fallout 4. Players can choose to spend each perk point in one of the seven S.P.E.C.I.A.L. categories. When you spend a perk point, instead of choosing a perk from a chart, the game will display three different “Perk Cards”. Each of these cards offers a different perk, with three ranks for each, and players can choose a single card to invest the perk point in and keep.

Each-of-the-Fallout-76-Perk-Cards-has-an-Upgrade-System-924x520.jpg

fallout-76-pick-perk-doc.jpg

Each perk card has its own upgrade system, with a 1-star, 2-star, and 3-star rank. Each rank offers a better version of the base perk, similar to most of the perks in Fallout 4. While the process of unlocking perk cards is different, the way to use them is also very different. Instead of having permanent access to all perks that you invest in, you have a limited number of perk card slots. You can choose to assign any perk card which you have invested in to one of these slots, thus gaining the perk’s benefits. Although you can’t use all of your perk cards at the same time, you can switch them around on the fly. This should allow you to re-specialize your character at will, adapting to any situation you come across

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Charisma will be needed as seen here, because with low stats, you cannot equip perk cards, so there won't be any 'dump' stats, and charisma is needed for both single play, and play with others.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected

Nice representation of perks as cards. Makes it look "RPG-y".
I bet this is the exact way it will be handled in Elder Scrolls 6... (which imo is better than in Skyrim)

Last edited:

Lurker47

Savant
As players earn experience points in Fallout 76 and level up, they will accrue perk points; one per level. Gamers who played Fallout 4 will recognize this system. However, the way that players spend perk points in Fallout 76 is very different from the perk chart from Fallout 4. Players can choose to spend each perk point in one of the seven S.P.E.C.I.A.L. categories. When you spend a perk point, instead of choosing a perk from a chart, the game will display three different “Perk Cards”. Each of these cards offers a different perk, with three ranks for each, and players can choose a single card to invest the perk point in and keep.

Each-of-the-Fallout-76-Perk-Cards-has-an-Upgrade-System-924x520.jpg

fallout-76-pick-perk-doc.jpg

Each perk card has its own upgrade system, with a 1-star, 2-star, and 3-star rank. Each rank offers a better version of the base perk, similar to most of the perks in Fallout 4. While the process of unlocking perk cards is different, the way to use them is also very different. Instead of having permanent access to all perks that you invest in, you have a limited number of perk card slots. You can choose to assign any perk card which you have invested in to one of these slots, thus gaining the perk’s benefits. Although you can’t use all of your perk cards at the same time, you can switch them around on the fly. This should allow you to re-specialize your character at will, adapting to any situation you come across
Charisma will be needed as seen here, because with low stats, you cannot equip perk cards, so there won't be any 'dump' stats, and charisma is needed for both single play, and play with others.
This is just like a nu-WoW system. AKA a complete dumpster fire.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Pete Hines on factions

“If you want to have the Minutemen, then be a Minuteman and recruit other people to be Minutemen who go around the world helping folks and finding settlements that need help and going and do that. If you want to be a trader, if you want to travel around the map or you want to build an outpost where people come and buy and sell stuff, you should do that. You don’t need us to craft those systems. The game will just allow you to do that. You go be who you want in this world.”

https://www.vgr.com/pete-hines-fallout-76-npc-factions/

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow, that guy is absurdly optimistic about the online community.
Stuff like that doesn't even work out well in true RP servers of true RP communities...

Trithne

Erudite
Wow, that guy is absurdly optimistic about the online community.
Stuff like that doesn't even work out well in true RP servers of true RP communities...

I'm curious, when he says "Go be a Minuteman and help settlements that need it", what settlements does he think need it?

Given that any settlement will be run by players, and will therefore either be self sufficient because resources are hardly ever scarce in these games, or it's going to be self sufficient because it is run oln slave labour and cannibalism.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I'm curious, when he says "Go be a Minuteman and help settlements that need it", what settlements does he think need it?

Its confirmed that there will be events happening where for example a super mutant patrol group is attacking something.

Trithne

Erudite

Its confirmed that there will be events happening where for example a super mutant patrol group is attacking something.

Yes, and if said patrol is too strong to be beaten by a standard group of four, or even a solo player, then there will be endless complaints about forced group play and people not being able to play how they like, so there is no way these attacks are actually going to "endanger the settlement".

If they scale with the number of players in the area then they still don't matter, and can now be used to grief by being nearby but not helping.

Not even getting into why are there super mutants here at all?

Gerrard

Arcane
Pete Hines on factions

“If you want to have the Minutemen, then be a Minuteman and recruit other people to be Minutemen who go around the world helping folks and finding settlements that need help and going and do that. If you want to be a trader, if you want to travel around the map or you want to build an outpost where people come and buy and sell stuff, you should do that. You don’t need us to craft those systems. The game will just allow you to do that. You go be who you want in this world.”

https://www.vgr.com/pete-hines-fallout-76-npc-factions/
"""role playing"""

ADL

Prophet
Pete Hines' quote reminds me of this video about Richard Garriott's experience working on Ultima Online's ecology system essentially coming down to "don't design multiplayer games around how you envision the players interacting with the world, it's not going to happen".

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
New info

'
The Forest, is by far the one we’ve seen the most of at this point. It is a vast wilderness of rolling hills and lush foliage seemingly untouched by nuclear war.
The Ash Heap can be seen in the fourth map piece. Covered in ash, this area is permeated by coal mines and looks to be the site of a man made mining disaster.
Perhaps a reference to the Fallout: New Vegas DLC, Lonesome Road, in both name and physical appearance, the Savage Divide s a cracked and barren environment sweeping through the center of the map. For lovers of New Vegas, this looks to be a throwback to the atmosphere of prowling a desert wasteland which characterized that game.
The crimson southeast is known as the Cranberry Bog. I assume these alien-like trees inhabit this area – after all, would they not look similar to an actual cranberry bog when seen from an aerial view? In addition the trees may be intelligent beings.
To the north, The Mire is a stretch of swamp land that’s more than likely infested with a staple enemy of the Fallout franchise, Mirelurks. These aquatic monsters are seen frequently throughout the series, often inhabiting coastal waters and structures, such as Minutemen stronghold, The Castle, in Fallout 4. Additionally, The Mire is also the location of the Potomac River, a repeat location from Fallout 3 which was a common place to spot these same creatures. Though, in this instance, I hope I’m wrong in my speculations as Mirelurks tend to be some of the most difficult encounters in the game.
Though not much has been uncovered about this specific area, a name like “Toxic Valley” doesn’t bode well for those of us who prefer to keep our rad count low.'

Fallout76Map-IGN1531426912573.jpg

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/07/12/what-we-know-about-fallout-76-by-looking-at-its-map

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Pete Hines' quote reminds me of this video about Richard Garriott's experience working on Ultima Online's ecology system essentially coming down to "don't design multiplayer games around how you envision the players interacting with the world, it's not going to happen".

I still recall picking up one of the issues of PC gamer in the 90's and reading about Lord British being assassinated by a hacker in Ultima Online...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom