Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Ys series

Just finished Ys Origins and it was a blast. I finished at level 50. Will probably play again on Nightmare with the unlockable character eventually, but I think I'll play the remakes of 1 & 2 now. I've only ever played the PC-Engine version so it should be fun. After that I'll replay Napishtim and Felghana (I've played both of them ages ago on the PSP).

Final boss was a bit of a disappointment but I'm sure he's very hard on Nightmare. On Normal the boss that gave me the most trouble was this:

20180703001728_1i4j83.jpg

Took me about 3 tries. Music was great, bosses were awesome, it got a bit tiresome towards the end but thankfully the game is short enough. I think I got all the inventory upgrades, but I didn't grind out the SP stuff (I didn't get the movespeed one). Maybe on Nightmare I will.

Momock

Augur
Why did you play in normal instead of hard by the way? You're going to feel a huge gap in difficulty if you go to nightmare now.

I dunno, I suppose I wanted to get a feel for the game on Normal - Jap games are usually pretty good with their difficulty descriptors, although I have to admit it felt a little too easy. In retrospect, I really should have started it on Hard. Oh well.

Anyway, playing Ys 1 and having a blast. The music is especially great (I don't think the arrangement is as good as the PCE CD version but it's still awesome). I don't know why the game defaults to that shitty 4:3 mode with huge borders, glad I fiddled a bit with settings before starting.

I was playing in a window while watching something else on the computer and I circled this part about 30x without realizing it was a secret door. Seems so easy when it's blown up though:

20180708014120_1tnra5.jpg

I've made it to Darm Tower but the level cap in this game seems way too low at 10. I maxed out before fighting the bat boss in the mines and although I don't particularly care about levels and progression in games with deeper mechanics, Ys 1 is too simple to sustain by itself. I'm mostly playing because the music and visuals are really cool, but it's really a bummer that they didn't extend the cap for this remake.

Felix

Arcane
Dear lord whoever set the controls in Lacrimosa, what kind of weird spider person does this.

B button is jump is this a 2002 era PS2 game? Mapping the most important abilities to r1 and l1 instead of the triggers???
You can remap the controls you know.

Finished Ys 1. Overall a pretty fun game but the level cap was a bummer, plus something annoyed me to no end in Darm Tower. I had completely missed the Evil Ring (playing one of these past few days I had picked it up, I guess I didn't save) and made it all the way up to the final boss door, but then I had to fucking backtrack to the SECOND FLOOR to get it and talk to the goddess in the Annex. If that wasn't enough, while backtracking I fell for the statue trap that stripped me of all my silver gear (for the 2nd time) and I had to backtrack everything YET AGAIN to get the pieces. Wasn't particularly exciting.

Anyway, last boss was a pain in the ass and took me a few tries. I really liked his sprite. Is he Hugo from Origins?

98FEBD9667854167506BE6B9574482A74A188E34

I remember the 2nd game was a lot better with just a lot more of everything. Onwards!

F2E21CE94E9CE17AB0CF0FEC6FDA86E274422EC8

Punch

aaaaaa
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Dark Fact looking pretty good in that game, but everything seems enlarged, is your screenshot zoomed in? Maybe I should try Chronicles someday.

No, that's just the Chronicles display mode (30:17) that for some reason isn't enabled by default in the Steam version. The default mode is the Complete (4:3) mode that puts a border around the 4:3 frame and has a pretty bad interface that's reminiscent of the first PCE Ys games.

Ys 2 is significantly better and harder than 1. There are more mechanics and locations are more varied - maps are also way more elaborate.
20180717220929_1cysg8.jpg

I'm sure I've missed a lot of things so far. There's probably a way to get ore from the mine to enable the blacksmith to make better armour (I got bored of the mine and just finished it instead of exploring thoroughly) and I'm pretty sure there's a healing cloak in the ice area before this lava area.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Well, after playing a few more hours I did have one crash, but thanks to autosave I ended up only losing less than a minute of playtime (thankfully it wasn't during the middle of a boss fight or I would've raged). Despite that, it's running smooth for the majority of my playtime.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Btw, I've been playing the game on hard difficulty, and it feels "just right" as a standard difficulty. I'll be sure to play Celceta on hard whenever I got around to that on steam (I found it too easy on normal on the Vita).

Shadenuat

Arcane
Btw, I've been playing the game on hard difficulty, and it feels "just right" as a standard difficulty. I'll be sure to play Celceta on hard whenever I got around to that on steam (I found it too easy on normal on the Vita).
That's strange cause Hard is easy as f especially due to retarded amount of healing consumables you get.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
That's strange cause Hard is easy as f especially due to retarded amount of healing consumables you get.
I try to use as little healing as possible.

spekkio

Arcane
After playing 6, Felghana and Origin I shiver when I think about playing SEVEN, Celceta and 8.

Fucking casuls, infesting both PC and console gaming. ATM you get either quest compass or wiafus. Sometimes both.

:negative:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Waifus were always there in Ys.

True problem is hlots of healing items, shitty party system, and the royal-guard system completely eliminating any need for skillful maneuvering

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik

True problem is hlots of healing items, shitty party system, and the royal-guard system completely eliminating any need for skillful maneuvering
Yes, our beloved sex offender protagonist was groping women in dark corners of dungeons for their measurements right from the get-go in Ys 1.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I try to use as little healing as possible.
Your will is strong. Tassadar would be proud of you, templar

I on the other hand is a simple creature. Wherever I go in rpgs, I must scum
restscum, savescum, healscum
so only nightmare+ for me from now on

tastefully dressed and mostly out of your reach, as waifus should be. proper goddesses for proper whitered knight. in ys8 they're meh fanservice level

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Thanks to my (ongoing) playthrough, I've run into some nice tunes in the game, and here's some of my faves.

Falcom always delivers in the music department.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom