Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
PoE have pretty bad system,it is illogical mess to me. Needlessly overcomplicated while having the same levelling for everyone only with a few different skills.

Quillon

Arcane
From what I understand ye'all want to be faggot wizard gods but PoE only lets you to be faggot wizards without the god status therefore you are left with only the butthurt from da faggotness of da wizard. :dance:

:dealwithit:

old:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Terrible design, you can buy whatever you are lacking to fill your weak points / mistakes. Truly terrible.

PoE have pretty bad system,it is illogical mess to me. Needlessly overcomplicated while having the same levelling for everyone only with a few different skills.
The best example of how POE is supposedly more "friendly" to newbies was me trying to explain my experienced Friend why 15 base damage from cleric's ability multiplied by 20%+22% equals to 25.9 or somesuch and that yes, in this game, everything has fractions of percent.

How do you easily understand system operating in fractions of percent for anything up to effects time? You cannot plan your actions or character growth in a system like this.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Terrible design, you can buy whatever you are lacking to fill your weak points / mistakes. Truly terrible.

The best example of how POE is supposedly more "friendly" to newbies was me trying to explain my experienced Friend why 15 base damage from cleric's ability multiplied by 20%+22% equals to 25.9 or somesuch and that yes, in this game, everything has fractions of percent.

How do you easily understand system operating in fractions of percent for anything up to effects time? You cannot plan your actions or character growth in a system like this.
Yeah,i agree with you. Don't know what kind of retard would think that this system is better for noobs. D&D have very simple and elegant system,don't see why people try to reinvent the hot water. Only thing that it was alien to me back in the days was the XdX calculations because i didn't know that d stands for dice. Still was able to interpreted it well enough to finish the games. The worst thing about PoE system is that it is redundant,you just have to equip some decent weapon and armour and bash the enemies on the head. I never bothered to learn its system.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Hey folks I come to the news. I think I've read back then that the first dlc It's snow again would be released this summer ? Do we have a date yet ?
How about the patching, where's that at ?
Ofc, if no one can answer because no one played the game since release, I wouldn't be surprised.

I don't want to google it.
You have my full exclusivity.
Lucky you.
Love y'all !
Cheers.
edit : don't you even dare rate this one "old" infinitron.

The Avatar

Pseudodragon Studios
Developer

Percentages are added together before being applied to the ability. Seems easy enough to explain to me. Probably easier than explaining THAC0.

Erebus

Arcane
So I was thinking about Deadfire's plot.

I think the problems with it partly come from the fact that Obsidian tried to provide a valid reason for all PCs - regardless of their personality and ethics - to take part in the adventure. So they had Eothas steal part of your soul and Berath force you to chase after him anyway.

And neither element is very developed. Your PC's doing just fine with only half a soul and being Berath's Herald hardly ever plays a role. Nothing changes when Eothas returns what he took from you, and he ends up undoing Berath's hold on you, almost as an afterthought.

So the motivations you're given will fit almost any PC, but they're not very interesting. Especially since they make the gods appear a lot... and reveal themselves to be useless dickheads, about as active as a chorus in a Greek tragedy. Their contribution to the plot is pretty much non-existent : the only time they try something against Eothas is when Magran and Ondra use brute force in an attempt to destroy him, and that only leads to a cutscene in which they fail miserably.

Older games didn't bother so much with the motivations of the PC, and it may have been for the best. At the beginning of BG2, you have to chase after Irenicus and Imoen. The writers didn't consider the possibility that some PCs might not be interested in either rescuing Imoen or kicking Irenicus's ass. You chase after Irenicus and Imoen simply because, if you don't, there's no adventure. And later, when Irenicus steals your soul, it has actual consequences.

2house2fly

Magister
So I was thinking about Deadfire's plot.

I think the problems with it partly come from the fact that Obsidian tried to provide a valid reason for all PCs - regardless of their personality and ethics - to take part in the adventure. So they had Eothas steal part of your soul and Berath force you to chase after him anyway.

And neither element is very developed. Your PC's doing just fine with only half a soul and being Berath's Herald hardly ever plays a role. Nothing changes when Eothas returns what he took from you, and he ends up undoing Berath's hold on you, almost as an afterthought.

So the motivations you're given will fit almost any PC, but they're not very interesting. Especially since they make the gods appear a lot... and reveal themselves to be useless dickheads, about as active as a chorus in a Greek tragedy. Their contribution to the plot is pretty much non-existent : the only time they try something against Eothas is when Magran and Ondra use brute force in an attempt to destroy him, and that only leads to a cutscene in which they fail miserably.

Older games didn't bother so much with the motivations of the PC, and it may have been for the best. At the beginning of BG2, you have to chase after Irenicus and Imoen. The writers didn't consider the possibility that some PCs might not be interested in either rescuing Imoen or kicking Irenicus's ass. You chase after Irenicus and Imoen simply because, if you don't, there's no adventure. And later, when Irenicus steals your soul, it has actual consequences.
I agree. And yet everyone complained about PoE1 because they decided their character didn't want to be in the game and the game didn't account for this and make their character do stuff anyway. So in response to the complaints they lock you into the plot and hope you'll enjoy the side questing enough to forget about it

Shadenuat

Arcane
its almost impossible to make an underpowered character.
How to make bad fighter in PoE in 3 easy steps
1) Give him high might and con
2) Sword and shield
3) Give him some good heavy armor

Congrats. You will now do about x4.6 less damage per playthrough than any decent fighter. And no, you won't be 5 times more survivable.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ladies, gentlemen, and... things, apparently, according to Obsidian ~narrative designer~ talent, an unknown warrior is reffered to with the 3rd person plural pronoun they.
LMAO:

g0uEfBb.png

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Isn't it an evolution of sjw grammar? Like in IE games they would refer to classes often "she" "her". Same in D&D I believe.
Also the warrior gender in the story is unknown, so just using "his" because "warrior" = male might be wrong.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Pretty sure there's a directive that all unique items have to have male and female models, so *all* of the descriptions are gender neutral. Otherwise they have to double the number of unique armors because you'll need ones with breasts and ones without.

Probably easier than explaining THAC0.

How is THAC0 hard to explain?

Attack - Defense = X

You have to roll more or equal X, rolling a d20.

Only a retarded cannot understand this simple math.

Even a retard can understand the math, a linguistic professor cannot explain why they chose such a random acronym.

IMO should have called it DRA for die roll advantage, such a simple concept with such a weird name.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's high time that English had a gender neutral pronoun anyway, for situations like this where the gender is unknown. A good move, for the wrong reasons. Writing "his/her" all the time is just obnoxious. In this context it looks jarring though, I'll give you that.

The Avatar

Pseudodragon Studios
Developer
A simple to-hit vs armor like they introduced in 3rd edition is much better. It's pretty dumb that lower AC is better. That leads to situations where it could be unclear if it's a bonus or penalty to AC.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Isn't it an evolution of sjw grammar? Like in IE games they would refer to classes often "she" "her". Same in D&D I believe.
Also the warrior gender in the story is unknown, so just using "his" because "warrior" = male might be wrong.
I know, it's just hilarious.

Achiles' gender is also unknown, maybe he would prefer if we reffered to him as They/Them? :lol:

He is hinted to have had a homosexual fuck buddy anyway, so there is further room for interpretation, as he was apparently not a straight white male :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom