Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon AKA the Celerity Attention Whore Thread

Dayyālu

Arcane
Darkest Dungeon has always appealled to me because of the artstyle and tactical gameplay, but the 'grinding' issue has kept me off from buying it. I was hoping this might be fixed with the new patch. But you would say the grind has only gotten worse?

Go to Darkest Dungeon game folder

Go to campaign

quest generation, open with text file

Double or triple the gold\reward\exp gains of randomly generated missions, it's all on .txt files so you can do what you want

Start a Radiant mode campaign

Now the grind is bearable. You still have to kill the same bosses three times, but now you can freely experiment with shit you like. If you want, you can even mod the trinket prices to get good ones from the market.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Guess I'll just keep waiting for Iratus: Lord of the Dead then.

That'll sound unmannered as fuck (as if I care) but after Iratus it's almost impossible to be playing DD. It's just so primitive, especially after this patch that has nerfed any kind of intricate play. It's just DPS this, DPS that. While healbotting ad nauseum. So much tactics.

Dayyālu

Arcane
That'll sound unmannered as fuck (as if I care) but after Iratus it's almost impossible to be playing DD. It's just so primitive, especially after this patch that has nerfed any kind of intricate play. It's just DPS this, DPS that. While healbotting ad nauseum. So much tactics.

I was rather curious what was your opinion of the massive balance changes of this patch. I see some huge nerfs for the usual suspects plus some heavy hits against stalling tactics (that were almost needed to non-autistically play the DD and the last CC map).

Also, DD was always about DPS. Optimal play was to nuke them before they nuked you, nothing else.

Still, it's far prettier than Iratus :lol: (Jokin'). Also, while the gameplay of DD is far more primitive, the bells&whistles of DD (the primary reason I play the game), sound and graphic design, are still great and the expansion delivers.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Also, DD was always about DPS. Optimal play was to nuke them before they nuked you, nothing else.

Who gives a fuck about optimal play? I play games so I can have fun, not so I feel that I've performed according to an adequate statistical norm. Previously, you could've experienced lots of wonky stuff that was just fun or quirky in their own way - 3 Jester squads, 4 Vestal squads, hand of light vestal + intimidate Leper combo, etc. Right now, all that was nerfed out of existence and the amount of viable squads became pathetic.

Same goes for the new content, btw. It's all about endurance run so Vestal+Houndmaster+Plague Doctor are a must have (so you have enough stress regen, enough health regen and can break through diseases) and then it's just about picking some kind of DD for the position 1. Generally it's the Leper because they're the kings of DPS right now. And if you want to set the highest autistic retards, it's probably just about restarting until you have 2-3 virtues - like, don't heal stress at all, just let it flow and hope for those 25%. And once everyone are virtued, grind-grind-grind the living fuck out of everything.

Wunderbar

Arcane
So the grind only got worse?
Darkest Dungeon has always appealled to me because of the artstyle and tactical gameplay, but the 'grinding' issue has kept me off from buying it. I was hoping this might be fixed with the new patch. But you would say the grind has only gotten worse?
Guess I'll just keep waiting for Iratus: Lord of the Dead then.
main campaign is definetely better, I was talking about DLC.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Who gives a fuck about optimal play? I play games so I can have fun, not so I feel that I've performed according to an adequate statistical norm.

the bells&whistles of DD (the primary reason I play the game), sound and graphic design, are still great and the expansion delivers.

You heavily misunderstand me, then: as the posts above proves, I honestly don't give a fuck about "the optional strategy" to play DD or to abuse the system. I like the ambience enough and if you shred the fake difficulty and the RNG it's relaxing enough to have a bit of fun.

The new content being about "enduring", I dunnow. Seems less bad than CC, that was finetuned to death. CC's bosses are so overdesigned mechanically to be hilarious.

Previously, you could've experienced lots of wonky stuff that was just fun or quirky in their own way - 3 Jester squads, 4 Vestal squads, hand of light vestal + intimidate Leper combo, etc. Right now, all that was nerfed out of existence and the amount of viable squads became pathetic.

Apparently, they got "heavy community involvement" with the patch, God only understands where. Changes seems to be rather random, tbh, and I do agree they flatten the play style quite a bit. I don't get why they felt the need to nerf bat the Grave Robber, she was already kinda subpar despite my love for her.

Lujo

Augur
New DLC is a nice addition for people who liked original game, but it brings even more grind.
Like, wtf.

First they are trying to fight grind by adding Antiquarian and Radiant mode, fixing balance, allowing to embark on the final DD missions with the same heroes more than once.
Then they are releasing this DLC, which is basically an endless mission where you grind for resources to buy expensive shit.

The thing was that it's somewhat different than the original and the long fights make many skills way more interesting than they could ever be in regular gameplay. Also, DD was a notoriously lacklustre game to play after you've done all the bossess and such. As counterintuitive as that sounds it did need post-game content for you to... well, not even grind but, like, play. This means that regular runs are booooooring AF, yes, but the new dungeon feels kinda ok to sit down and see how far you can go. So does the new wondering boss, sort of gives you a reason to play regular dungeons while your squad heals up and stuff.

I was rather curious what was your opinion of the massive balance changes of this patch. I see some huge nerfs for the usual suspects plus some heavy hits against stalling tactics (that were almost needed to non-autistically play the DD and the last CC map).

Well, they finally did stuff to curb the damned stunlock nonsense. The stun implementation in DD was some of the most incompetent shit ever seen in turn based games in general. I'm not sure they nerfed it enough for regular runs where 3 uses of PD stun per fight (provided you can actually stunlock) is plenty enough to murder everything, but it sure works in the new dungeon. Also, random mob compositions seem to be playing together more inteligently (and they might have been altered to facilitate this). Two guards + shaman + exploding zombie in the cove feels pretty clever now when the buggers can keep the zombie from croaking while it does it's thing.

Also, the new "corpses actually do something" mechanics and the new "rooms have different effects" mechanics should've been in the base game all along in every single run. Just have corpeses do something else in every dungeon direction etc. It's mind blowing that they weren't.

Come to think of it, "long fights" could've been in too, just have every area have dudes which join random fights in waves. Would've made the game much more interesting as it makes fight-long buffs actually a worthwhile addition and decreases the "only DPS works" effectiveness.

One wonders what this game could've been like in the hands of someone more competent at, you know, designing games. Like, not much more competent, just at least barely competent instead of solidly incompetent.

Last edited:

Lujo

Augur
Played with the expansions a bunch. They improve the whole thing quite a bit. If Crimison Court was a standalone thing i'd be a better game than the base game is. Color of Madness is actually great, the problem is that pretty much everything about it would've been in the base game already if anyone serious made the base game. The last tweak patch was rather good - still didn't fix some things, but it did fix some which were outrageous.

But I noticed a ridiculous thing about reviews for the Crimison Court which makes Celerity even more of a nutjob than he is.

He flipped into paranoid madness over how people were hyping the game as difficult. Thought they were "shills" or whatever because it just didn't make sense that so many people would think the game was difficult. Which it isn't, so I get where he was coming from (apart from him being a nutcase on top of that). But at the time folks were unreasonaby praising the game for being difficult. But then you look at Crimison Court rewievs and people are PANNING it because "it made the game unbearably difficult".

You know what CC did? It introduced a "disease" with debuffs so minor and non-factory noone would ever notice them, but which buffed Speed, a highest tier stat in the game. And it let you use blood (a consumable item) to give whoever was suffering from the "disease" +damage, +speed and become a monster for quite a long while. The horrible crippling disease is actually a huuuuuuuuge buff, it's like they introduced cocaine to the game and let your guys get murderously high on it.

And folks, equally crazily as before, think this somehow makes the game HARDER. And gave CC negative reviews because of making the game harder. Monkies get a bad rep. Humans really didn't evolve into a more intelligent strain, but rather a more psychotic one.

No wonder that nutcase flipped. The DD customer base would drive a sane man nuts :D

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
I was bored. Codexia won. Everything is dead.

21k9u1k.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Sounds like Red Hook's next game is a 3D game: https://www.darkestdungeon.com/job-posting-experienced-character-modeler-texture-artist/

Red Hook Studios, developers of the hit indie rpg Darkest Dungeon are seeking an exceptional, experienced, full-time character modeler/texture artist to join us as we work on our next great game!

We want someone who can go beyond simply matching orthographic drawings – we’re looking for an artisan who can become part of the creative process and enjoy an invigorating back and forth with our concept team to arrive at a final model. High-fidelity sculpts are not as important as a pleasing fusion of model and texture.

Responsibilities:
  • Interpret concept art to create stunning and stylish 3d models.
  • Work with the Art Director to interpret a striking, stylized aesthetic.
  • Work with technical artists/animators to ensure models are efficiently built for rigging.
  • Collaborate with the Art Director and engineers to help craft the in-game look/shaders.
  • Develop a 3d style guide and workflow that balances production speed with fantastic results.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
They should hire Josh Sawyer instead.

This game success is heavily owned to its great stylized art and having good voice works by the narator. The game has lot of systematic problem as our 1437 hours autist explained and I doubt they could easily replicate their success.

Lujo

Augur
This game success is heavily owned to its great stylized art and having good voice works by the narator. The game has lot of systematic problem as our 1437 hours autist explained and I doubt they could easily replicate their success.

Yeah, they're really not playing to their strengths here. They have a nigh-unsolveable problem though. They struck on the perfect style for depicting Lovecraftian/Gothic stuff in, and then they mined the niche for all the motiffs you possibly could mine it for. There's just no way to do DD 2 in the same style without flat out reusing assets and rehashing themes. And if you don't do it in the same style it's not likely to be as sucesful. The style was so perfect that it made a rather lousy game a huge sucess largely on graphics and sound. This is kinda why noone just slapped together a better TB-Squad fighter game along the same lines to rake cash from the obvious demand - they'd had to plagiarize the artstyle AND use the same motiffs or it wouldn't fly.

Last edited:
I would assume that, with a game like Darkest Dungeon (and considering their approach to expanding the game extensively with DLC rather than calling it a finished product), a future game from the studio would take a fairly different setting entirely. Instead of Lovecraft, go for more of a mash-up of Space Hulk and Event Horizon, and do sci-fi. Maybe that's wishful thinking, but Darkest Dungeon just didn't really leave room for a direct sequel.

opium fiend

Augur
Hi. Didn't read the whole thread.

Played some DD without DLC's, not enough to become an expert, long enough to start dousing torches. Love the mood and art. So,

I'm gonna play with Crimson Court because I love vampires, should I play it with Color of Madness as well? Is it true that it discourages fun and excentric parties? that now you have couple correct combos?

Wunderbar

Arcane
I'm gonna play with Crimson Court because I love vampires
CC is kinda annoying at first - it introduces a new disease which is hard to manage in early game, and also will spam a new "the town is abuzz" event which reduces stress-healing activities.

should I play it with Color of Madness as well?
There is not reason not to. CoM just adds a new endgame mission, some new trinkets, and a couple of new town upgrades. It doesn't intervene in the main campaign or CC.

Is it true that it discourages fun and excentric parties? that now you have couple correct combos?
no. In fact, CoM update made game more fun and buffed a lot of characters (although you already have it, assuming you're playing actual version).

Lujo

Augur
Hi. Didn't read the whole thread.

Played some DD without DLC's, not enough to become an expert, long enough to start dousing torches. Love the mood and art. So,

I'm gonna play with Crimson Court because I love vampires, should I play it with Color of Madness as well? Is it true that it discourages fun and excentric parties? that now you have couple correct combos?

CoM is pretty unobtrusive and doesn't force you to do anything.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wondering one thing. Is there a way to see how your heroes have performed? I don't seem to find any menus for it, but then I got an achievement that one of my heroes killed 50 monsters - so I'm guessing the game keep tracks of it.

Maybe there is a mod?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom