Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Taurist

Scholar
Ah, I apologise, didnt fully understand your post. MM6 seems to be fixed in its resolution, unlike with MM8. I just played it fullscreen.

It can only really be done in DOSbox, where you will get a performance hit. Though it might be worth messing about with, the newer forks are pretty fast. Windows has garbage screen scaling.

tindrli

Arcane
how do you fix white textures on dgvoodoo?
I dont have any weird textures. The only issue that i have is that my game starts dimmed wich i solve with alt tab on main game screen. Other thing is that in 80% cases if i alt tab while ingame upon returning to game my screen is all yellow or blue. Weird and i must restart game. And last thing is lower right logo of dgvodoo regardless of turning off that option in settings but its no bother

Efe

Erudite
weird colors goes away if you f4 couple of times.
when i use hardware acceleration most of trees are white, some of character sprites go white in certain poses. doors/entrances are white too. i think skybox is also missing or grayed out
couldnt find anyone complainnig about it either:negative:

Just completed Might and Magic 2, and I would rate it just a step or two below the 1st game. I really didn't care for some ways that the equipment, fights were handled. Then there was the big Mega Dragon fight were just a simple few lines of text and that stupid Preamble password.

Onward and up to Might and Magic 3 and Wizardry 2.

tindrli

Arcane
weird colors goes away if you f4 couple of times.
when i use hardware acceleration most of trees are white, some of character sprites go white in certain poses. doors/entrances are white too. i think skybox is also missing or grayed out
couldnt find anyone complainnig about it either:negative:
Im using hardware acceleration and thankfully dont have any of those problems

Dorateen

Arcane
Just completed Might and Magic 2, and I would rate it just a step or two below the 1st game. I really didn't care for some ways that the equipment, fights were handled. Then there was the big Mega Dragon fight were just a simple few lines of text and that stupid Preamble password.

You could try to fight the Mega-Dragon with a super high level party. And a lot of patience.

One of the things I loved about Gates to Another World, was the class specific quests from the Jurors of Mt. Farview, and managing a roster of characters to form multiple parties to complete those objectives. Probably the best I've seen in a computer role-playing game.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
I thought M&M2 was WAY better than the first one. It took everything from the first one and turned it up to 11. Better graphics, automap (this was a biggie for me), more humour, streamlined combats, more quests, more items, great maps (I loved the mage quests in the Pokey and Gumby towers), a unique ending, the game just felt like it played faster as well.

Efe

Erudite
tried everything one by one and fast video memory access fixed it...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So how effective is the "Increased Weapon Speed" from "Swift" weapons in MM7?

I thought M&M2 was WAY better than the first one. It took everything from the first one and turned it up to 11. Better graphics, automap (this was a biggie for me), more humour, streamlined combats, more quests, more items, great maps (I loved the mage quests in the Pokey and Gumby towers), a unique ending, the game just felt like it played faster as well.

After discovering that MM1 has the same kind of mix of level and area scaling as MM2 does (but more subtle, since it was harder to notice), and that most of MM1's monsters lack their special attacks (not bug as in Bard's Tale 3, but for balancing reasons), I think MM2 is clearly superior.
In addition to the above, MM2 has a superior items system, and I must admit I like the logistics involved in the addition of hirelings, and the rotation of party members due to quests and areas being class and alignment restricted.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The mix of real time and turn based in MM7 is ridicilous at times.

The by far hardest fight against melee enemies so far has been against Behemoth's in the Breeding Zone.
My party barely survived the first batch, but there was a second one at the end of the level.
But they have to go up a slope to reach the party, something they manage to do with no problem in real time, but in turn based they don't reach the top before they start sliding down again! :roll:
Same rule applies to the party also.

But what's even more stupid is that if you have done "evil deeds" (like killing griffins and kidnapping a woman in Erathia) Archibald will send you to prison for your crimes! :roll::lol::?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
the snes-american release, and the genesis-american release of the MM2 remake are inferior versions

however the snes-japanese port of MM2, translated into english by MrRichard999, is much better than the original version on PC. better combat engine.

I've only played a bit of the Japanese SNES MM2, but it seemed to me that rows weren't making much of a difference in combat. I hope I'm wrong!

octavius

Arcane
Patron
the snes-american release, and the genesis-american release of the MM2 remake are inferior versions

however the snes-japanese port of MM2, translated into english by MrRichard999, is much better than the original version on PC. better combat engine.

Explain how the combat engine is better.

If that is the version of which Invictus posted a video, it looks inferior.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It does look like a JRPG reinterpratation and it's creepy and I'm scared of it.

Might and Magic 2 and 3 completed with ending uploaded finally.

Completed Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra this afternoon, wonderful game, really brings the series forward, and I found it has taken a place on my top ten list of best RPGs ever . I was able to get the MT-32 sound working for the entire playthrough which was nice to have sound finally after Might and Magic 1, 2 and Wizardry.

Voices in my head talk a lot :P

Darth Canoli

Arcane

Might and Magic 2 and 3 completed with ending uploaded finally.

Completed Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra this afternoon, wonderful game, really brings the series forward, and I found it has taken a place on my top ten list of best RPGs ever . I was able to get the MT-32 sound working for the entire playthrough which was nice to have sound finally after Might and Magic 1, 2 and Wizardry.

Voices in my head talk a lot :P

:bro::bro::bro:

Congratulations, i'm not there yet, i can't stop to switch from Terra to Xeen, i just wish they both had MM3 inventory with Xeen quest items special unlimited storage ...
Voices are quite good for 1991 (the english version might be from 1992-93 through)

I remember the intro voice from an old Sega Megadrive shoot-them-up, Vapor Trail, from the same era (after some research, it's from 1989 but still ), was so terrible it took me a month to figure out what they were saying (was worse in my memory though, or maybe my english skills were lacking ) see for yourselves : (0:24s )

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom