Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard working on next Diablo project

Black

Arcane
Only WoL was ok.

Whats the best diablo-like game out there at the moment anyway?

Hack and Slash? Dragon's Dogma. It's third person as opposed to isometric, it's open world as opposed to having more set levels, and you won't randomly miss things your sword hits given its not point and click controls; but its fundamental similar.

If you mean more specifically like Diablo...I don't fucking know. That wolf one looks good, used to be called Umbra, had too look it up its now called Wolcen. That Korean MMO Lost Ark looks good, think there's a beta for it now to fuck around in. Not as similar as those two, but Exanima seems to be doing cool shit with its melee combat system.

mogwaimon

Magister
Last Diablo wasn't even H&S since they removed your ablitity to set your stats. Preset attributes you can't change yourself that level up automatically is the same kind of system pre-Diablo beat 'em up games like Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom had. In their quest to streamline the game with Diablo 3 they inadvertently made an incredibly simplistic point-and-click beat 'em up. At least I'd guess it was inadvertent, guessing if they'd intended to do that they probably would have had simple combo strings, and meter generating attacks would probably act more like normals.

Slightly interested to see how a Diablo 4 turns outs. 3 on console with its direct controls feels vastly better than the point-and-click schematic, so it'd be nice to see them go further with that. If the consoles were the reason you had so few attacks, which I doubt, but if they were too stupid to figure out how to work more than 6 skills onto a control Dragon's Dogma (a fucking great Hack & Slash, which feels like an evolution of Diablo's combat) has hopefully shown them how to get at least 16 if they want. And a Diablo 4 will be coming after things like Last Ark, so it'll be interesting to see what effect if any anything that's come or been shown the last six years has on it. It sounds like after the console version they at least tried fixing the fuck ups with the PC version, so that seems like a good sign; although just looking now it seems the guy behind that stuff also left Blizzard in 2016 so maybe it's fucked.
Ah yes, the console versions of Diablo 3. You know, the ones they had to make even easier and dumber because accuracy is completely non-existent with gamepads. Clearly the future.

Console version of Diablo 3 is incline if only because it's the only version of the game that you can play without an internet connection. Controller is also fine because if you're bored enough to play D3 it's better to do it in local co-op on the couch with a friend. Otherwise why play it at all when better options like PoE or Grim Dawn exist?

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
KitchenTong

You've got a few candidates:

- Grim Dawn (great atmosphere, huge build variety, fun gameplay, great itemization) <---------- the closest to Diablo 2, all things considered
- Torchlight 2 (cartoony art-style, fast gameplay, nice skill levelling)
- Path of Exile (great atmosphere, great build variety, solid gameplay, so-so itemization, MMORPG-lite)

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm not sure how they could find a worse idea than the RMAH but the one thing I trust modern Blizzard to do is fuck things up, so I'm sure they'll find a way.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I'm not sure how they could find a worse idea than the RMAH but the one thing I trust modern Blizzard to do is fuck things up, so I'm sure they'll find a way.

Its what happens when big companies like Activision takes over that want money first and gaming second.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin

Its what happens when big companies like Activision takes over that want money first and gaming second.

The Activision scapegoat is just that, a scapegoat. Vivendi was just as happy to meddle with Blizzard especially during WoW's developement and their demands to EverQuestify the game that was far more RPG oriented caused mass exodus of Blizzard employees mid developement and in many ways altered the course of it's direction.

And this meddling was just as nefarious considering that Blizzard always has been and still is independent subsidiary clause in their agreement that has been passed on ever since the Sierra days as the company has been part of the merges rather than being sold separately with new deal negotiated between three companies.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
SoM and ToD are :obviously: classics.

Bosses were super cheap and annoying. They need to milk coins after all.

??? Really? I don't see that. Most of the bosses had weaknesses that the game actually tells you. The spectre is the classic example. The game practically screams at you: It is ultra vulnerable to lightning!!!!

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Blizzard says it has 'multiple Diablo projects in the works,' BlizzCon reveal teased
2018-08-08 10:00:00by Chris Carter

'Some will take longer than others'

So this sort of unexpectedly came up right in the middle of Nintendo's massive Super Smash Bros. Ultimate barrage, but Blizzard dropped some huge news of their own by way of a quick Twitter video.

Associate Community Manager Brandy Camel shared a brief update on all things Diablo, discussing changes in the latest season and more importantly, that there are "multiple Diablo projects in the works." "Some will take longer than others," Camel explains, and news will apparently be shared later this year; a clear setup for a BlizzCon reveal in November.

Given that outside of a small hero addition and some updates Diablo has been mostly dormant since 2014, it was easy to think that it would be a long while until we saw anything substantial again, but this changes that perception. Camel re-iterates that "Diablo is and always will be part of Blizzard's identity."

With games like Path of Exile eating their lunch in the dungeon crawler genre Blizzard needs to bring it.

Farewell into the night

Brandy Camel is a nice name :hug::hug:I have a bad feelings about this, I don't trust Blizzard anymore, but hey, maybe they gonna redeem.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
KitchenTong
- Path of Exile (great atmosphere, great build variety, solid gameplay, so-so itemization, MMORPG-lite)

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

this crap screams autism

Cadmus

Arcane
PoE would be great if it was a SP game but now (although it is the only game that looks as good as D2) it's an autism simulator for retards to make builds for thousand hours straight.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
this crap screams autism

Don't worry, mate, from what I understand the correct answer is always +Health. Just follow the HP.

Now that is just nonsense.
It's not all wrong, though. At least when leveling.
Going for HP as a default if you got no other idea what to do won't totally screw you.

It's better than, say, investing in traps when all you do is summon minions and throw snowballs.

Sykar

Arcane
this crap screams autism

Don't worry, mate, from what I understand the correct answer is always +Health. Just follow the HP.

Now that is just nonsense.
It's not all wrong, though. At least when leveling.
Going for HP as a default if you got no other idea what to do won't totally screw you.

It's better than, say, investing in traps when all you do is summon minions and throw snowballs.

The problem is that pure HP just really does not help. You need a proper defensive concept to along with it. In general you need the following:

1.) Enough DPS so you can finish even boss fights in under a minute or two and not 10-20 minutes.
2.) Maximum resists are a must especially later during the story and of course for mapping
3.) At least one of these basic defense mechanics: Evasion, armor, dodge or block.
4.) Some form of regeneration, be that leech or straight regeneration or improved flask usage.

Of course you need a good chunk of health or ES but those alone won't really save you in the long run not even during story mode unless you level with Tabula Rasa and have obscene amount of DPS like my level 61 slayer atm who sports over 22k DPS and with double strike with low level gems and unoptimized gear.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom