Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

PorkBarrellGuy

Ahh I see...four years invested into a blog that comprehensvely details everything a person could want to know (or thereabouts) about renaissance era RPGs - and the page Google took me to was an argument for full party control for NWN:EE made to Trent Oster that utterly failed. I mean if you can't even manage to make a supporting case for something like that (that convinces Beamdog to enhance the game in such a fundamental way) you can't really be that much of an expert can you?.

maybe

or maybe Oster and Beamdog are just gigantic dumbfucks and Lilura was basically pissing into the wind

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Lilura is the voice of Codex! Obey, newfag!

I wouldn't go that far. I was "a Dexer" before the 'Dex even existed, though.

Who is this Lilura character that keeps voting my BG posts down as shit? Some kind of expert or something?.

I'm but one step up from a Codex shitposter. Behold, my latest write-up: Best Armor Class in BG and BG2.

Ahh I see...four years invested into a blog that comprehensvely details everything a person could want to know (or thereabouts) about renaissance era RPGs - and the page Google took me to was an argument for full party control for NWN:EE made to Trent Oster that utterly failed. I mean if you can't even manage to make a supporting case for something like that (that convinces Beamdog to enhance the game in such a fundamental way) you can't really be that much of an expert can you?.

Yes, because this is the first time in history that a dev hasn't carried out the will of a commentator. Ergo, it's bad commentary.

But then, I wouldn't say the argument utterly failed. FPC is on the Trello board and an FPC thread was posted on the Beamdog forums one day after my blogpost. Coincidence? I think not. That said, I don't care what Beamdog do or don't do, anymore. They are not the big player in the industry that you are trying to make them out to be.

Lastly, your shitposts get lost in the shuffle of mega-threads whereas I bask in the glory of ever-increasing influence due to being the foremost commentator of the greatest era in RPG history. I am read, you are not, and this is all that matters.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
I'm but one step up from a Codex shitposter. Behold, my latest write-up: Best Armor Class in BG and BG2.
Lilura said:
Swashbucklers can also easily hit the AC cap, but they are more reliant on items because they don't have access to spells
But they do. Through UAI, with spell scrolls. Which you mention in the same line. Considering that we can non-stop abuse Simulacrum through either Vhailor or just having Simulacrum scrolls, I feel like this is a moot point.
On that note, my favourite cheese tank item is the Rat form from Cloak of the Sewers. Accessible really early, can combine with Blade Barrier. Nifty, and pretty funny.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A beast that hides in the shadows of Hong Kong and terrorise our poor village of the name of Codexia. Please brave hero take this quest and send the creature back to the hellhole that it craw out from.

I can provide you with some advice for taking on this beast - form a circle with other beta members and cast a Codexian Yrden sigil through a post - it may be the only way to make her vulnerable. Here's an example:

But then, I wouldn't say the argument utterly failed. FPC is on the Trello board and an FPC thread was posted on the Beamdog forums one day after my blogpost. Coincidence? I think not. That said, I don't care what Beamdog do or don't do, anymore. They are not the big player in the industry that you are trying to make them out to be.

I just got accused of supporting Beamdog as a major player in the RPG industry...I think for the first time in my Trump supporting, classical liberal life, I may be feeling the stirrings of what it means to be triggered. Having said that - it took you long enough to accept that Beamdog were useless - to think that you actually formulated a request for FPC, and then supplemented it with a further possible request that they look into turning NWN:EE into a turn based game...shows some level of naivete on your part as the "Foremost commentator of the greatest era in RPG history" no?.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I think for the first time in my Trump supporting, classical liberal life, I may be feeling the stirrings of what it means to be triggered.
Hahahaha it will be fun to watch your Codexian decent in to madness career. Also wrong party,here we say hail Hitler during breakfast,except the red menace they salute with drugario Staling,

Ah and it is more fun to watch the beast devour unworthy newfags. I am pretty fond of Lilura 's insanity and bitchiness.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
I think for the first time in my Trump supporting, classical liberal life, I may be feeling the stirrings of what it means to be triggered.
Hahahaha it will be fun to watch your Codexian decent in to madness career. Also wrong party,here we say hail Hitler during breakfast,except the red menace they salute with drugario Staling,

Ah and it is more fun to watch the beast devour unworthy newfags. I am pretty fond of Lilura 's insanity and bitchiness.

So stand up to her man - this is what I mean about the Codex of 2018 having it's collective balls tucked in - I mean, why did she shit-tag my post about how Beamdog screwed with the XP system in BG:EE? I managed to max level in BG1 vanilla without grinding/farming, there wasn't much difference in power for most character classes provided they started BG2 without removing the XP cap and getting to level 9, and as far as I remember, you couldn't abuse the resting in the wild system to farm x4 or more enemies @ 650XP each; not to mention the x4 Sirines on the coast per rest by the ruined lighthouse. In fact a poll on her blog:
https://lilura1.blogspot.com/2017/0...showComment=1493760311858#c810239689717922332
Shows most fans farm for XP. Whether they do it responsibly or not is not the issue, because if you farm for XP in an RPG - you're just a flat out pussy. So...wouldn't BG:EE be better if they allowed for the difficulty slider to spawn more enemies like we saw in SOD? (which Beamdog didn't mention in-game doesn't apply to the original campaign), provided it allowed for more of a challenge without levelling a character too fast.

The point I'm making is - unless you grind in BG:EE you don't level with the difficulty curve of the game - represented by bounty hunters, or "boss" characters like Davaearon and the helmed horrors (Lilura yes I know you can avoid them if you disarm the trap), because there's no f'ing enemies on the maps. That then forces you to farm XP* which is not what the original game was about; the feeling of levelling just 1 level in the original game was like passing your driving test for the first time. Now people can farm for a bit in BG:EE, level a few times and steam roll over the whole sword coast, with only a challenge from the aforementioned enemies at key points in the game. So something was lost there mechanically, and on another point - the exploration was just flat out boring, because there was hardly any enemies on the maps.

*Especially if your at a certain HP range and you know the next map has an enemy like an Ogre berserker that can crit/1-shot you, or god forbid you don't have the right protection in a narrow corridor map with lightning bolts being fired at you.

Edit: And I got a shovel here for that shit being flung at me. :argh:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
This is retarded. Lilura is a woman, IDK why you expected reasonable behavior out of her Chip? She rated like ten of my posts shit and I just figured she was PMSing or just incapable of accepting the fact that her arguments against the EE are nonexistent. Bitching about her on this thread is almost as bad though. Let her passive aggressively rate posts, passive aggressiveness is the go to form of conflict resolution for women lmao.

Oh and also,
- unless you grind in BG:EE you don't level with the difficulty curve of the game -
I'd rate this post shit too. BG:EE xp drops were fine. I just did side quests, and I never had to grind playing on Hard difficulty even. You might just be shit at RTwP combat and making a party composition that isn't ass.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I was enjoying your post until i lost all respect for you...
to spawn more enemies like we saw in SOD?
playing that shit is a mark of disgrace at best.

Also who the fuck farms rests,the game i pretty easy without farming. I personally love games that don't have level cap. It is mighty annoying when you hit the cap half way trough the game,just like in PoE. Half the fun in rpgs is the levelling.

On the Lilura 's question.....well no need to stand up for her,i like her comments and her fights with different people. The codex is a place filed with all kind of shitty opinions on the most trivial things,and everyone here things that only hist opinion is the right one. You shouldn't get butthurt over ratings or people will begin mess with you....a lot.

Lilura apparantly has a degree in English. And yet shit ratings is the best she can do these days...
Yeah,she doesn't post much lately,maybe she got in to one of those arranged marriages and doesn't have time from all the sweaty sex.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
So...wouldn't BG:EE be better if they allowed for the difficulty slider to spawn more enemies like we saw in SOD? (which Beamdog didn't mention in-game doesn't apply to the original campaign), provided it allowed for more of a challenge without levelling a character too fast.
1. Agree
2. And if more enemies are spawned, they can yield less xp per mob, so it's the same total amount of XP

Would be interested to see this as a mod.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Ok there seems to be some confusion here over the point I'm making; to be clear - I have nothing but contempt for Beamdog and consider them to be nothing more than paid modders, and any playthough of any IE game I do from now on will be the original games with mods. But if a poll was done, do you think people would prefer enemy spawning:
1. As it was in Vanilla BG.
2. As it was with the original game + mods like TUTU or the BG trilogy.
3. As Beamdog implemented it?.

Personally I like it as it was in the vanilla game, I enjoyed the extra challenge from the mods (there was a spawning option in Weidu if I remember), and to make the best of a shit situation Beamdog should give people the option to increase spawns in BG:EE because it seems to be level dependent.

And I'm just winding people up over Lilura - it seems people here treat her as some king of IE mistress and fit the cliche of gamers that haven't got much attention from women, so appreciate any attention at all - even if it's negative. So asking me to deal with her was kinda pathetic. I mean, what are you supposed to do with a beast like that?.

Lilura We'll bang, ok?.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
There are many different spawn options.

I don't recall excactly how it was in vanilla, except that instant respawns (most noticeable in Firewine Ruins and the Gnoll Fortress) were bloody annoying.

With TuTu I think all the spawns were fixed when the map loaded and you would always face maximum numbers. So scouting was really useful.

With BGT you can use BGT Tweak Pack component "Altered spawns: TuTu-style levelled spawns".

In EE scouting was not as useful anymore, 'cause when the scout passed a spawn point no enemies might appear, but when the rest of the party moved past minutes later, enemies would suddenly appear.

The best spawns system is probably BGT + BGSpawn.
BGSpawn makes things more interesting and unpredictable, but can be quite hard with some of the SCS treated enemies, especially Orcs are very tough if using SCS. Also, makes Ulcaster much tougher.
The spawns are generated "on the fly" when the party is within sight of the spawn point, so if reloading a save you may encounter different enemies.

There are even more options.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Original BG (re)spawning > all.

duergar.jpg

on-rest%2Bspawn.jpg

Btw, currently replaying DSotSC: write-up on arcane spells; write-up on companions. I also recently posted a write-up on Best Armor Class in BG/BG2.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
There are many different spawn options.
In EE scouting was not as useful anymore, 'cause when the scout passed a spawn point no enemies might appear, but when the rest of the party moved past minutes later, enemies would suddenly appear.

The best spawns system is probably BGT + BGSpawn.
BGSpawn makes things more interesting and unpredictable, but can be quite hard with some of the SCS treated enemies, especially Orcs are very tough if using SCS. Also, makes Ulcaster much tougher.
The spawns are generated "on the fly" when the party is within sight of the spawn point, so if reloading a save you may encounter different enemies.

There are even more options.

Enemies spawining: Yeah, this was another reason I hated to EE's as I always play stealth characters. Also another reason I waited until recently to actually play the EE games for the first time properly in the hope they had done something about it.

I had my eye on the BGSpawn mod, thought I'd give it a go for my next run - I was just a bit worried it turned the game into action RPG/Diablo levels of enemies rushing at you?. But with SCS, I expect this to be great - and if it fixes the above issue, I might try it with that mod that combines BG 1&2 + IWD 1&2 EE's together. Which might convince me to go back to the EE's. But with each official patch seemingly breaking compatiblity with mods I expect thats a long way off.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron

playing that shit is a mark of disgrace at best.

Hmm. I should respond to that, as the accusation is like someone just walked in on me as I was maniacally shagging a blow up sex doll. I only played SOD once, and I had no experience with Beamdog's products at all until I did. I actually held off playing it until recently because of the controversy and because I only found out about SJW culture when it was released back in 2016. Even when I played it, I did only what was absolutley necessary to complete the game - which left me with only the 'Worlds Edge' weapon for the final boss, because I had no +3 THACO weapons. Any and all retardred posts I make are likely the result of playing that game, as I believe playing it damaged my brain even more than POE did.

Also who the fuck farms rests,the game i pretty easy without farming. I personally love games that don't have level cap. It is mighty annoying when you hit the cap half way trough the game,just like in PoE. Half the fun in rpgs is the levelling.

I did say that anyone who farms is a pussy, it wasn't about the amount of XP, the spawning issue is about the rate at which you gain XP compared to the difficulty curve and roleplaying content (story, dialogue, etc) of the game. In vanilla BG it was great so long as you didn't keep swapping your party about so much. With the modded game you could afford to take Xan for instance, then kick him out until you dual classed Imoen into a mage. You could clear a few areas and level once before the Nashkel mines so you didn't take a crit from a kobold and die. Or you could make a beeline for all your permanent party members (like getting Yeslick at low level) and leave all the exploratory areas until after to max XP for your permanent party, and enjoy all the quests / roleplays aspects (like banter) with your permanent party.

With the enhanced edition the game became more linear because they destroyed the low level campaign challenge by scaling the amount of enemies you faced to party (or single party member) level. So no longer was I concerned about being swarmed by Gibberlings and x2 of them getting a crit on my 20HP fighter because there was only x1 gibberling on a single map when I had 6 party members and I could kill it before it even got near. Then I realized that I could farm my party levels up to get more enemies out of the game but...

It's that bellcurve situation of challenge and enjoyment that peaks, then goes down as you become more powerful than the challenge of the game, in the vanilla game and with mods the peak of the bellcurve lasted longer than in the EE's.

I know that if you type more than 2 paragraphs ADHD millennials and older people with short attention spans start to get pissed, so that's roughly what I'm getting at. If I load up the original game, its not nostalgia that makes me enjoy it more - its because the game was put together better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom