Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do people use the ignore feature?

Mustawd

lol, some damn admin "pre-ignored" my above post for everyone's convenience.. P O I N T . P R O V E D

Spam =/= people’s opinions that bother you.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Zombra is ignoring 154 people,do you expect something logical from him?
And you're ignoring millions. Did you finish reading the front page of Reddit yet? How about the IGN message board? Let me know when you're done, I'll wait.

Also ignore his post,he would have said the same thing for anyone else of the 154 fortunate people.
Maybe, but a lot of people on that list are so obvious that no one would ever need to ask why I'm ignoring them.

Oh, so that's why I'm ignoring people? Because their opinions bother me? That's news to me.

PorkBarrellGuy

Zombra is ignoring 154 people,do you expect something logical from him?
And you're ignoring millions. Did you finish reading the front page of Reddit yet? How about the IGN message board? Let me know when you're done, I'll wait.

there's a difference between coming into a community and proceeding to put half that community on ignore, and never bothering to enter a community to begin with because they simply do not interest you in any way. This is not particularly sound reasoning.

Also ignore his post,he would have said the same thing for anyone else of the 154 fortunate people.
Maybe, but a lot of people on that list are so obvious that no one would ever need to ask why I'm ignoring them.

A fair amount, yes, but I don't particularly understand the "time saved" angle when it's as easy as pressing PgDn or mousewheeling past the moment you see a certain name show up. The Ignore list is a pretty short shortcut, really, and given how many people can just say "meh" and scroll past it begs the question of whether you choose to use the Ignore list as a kind of "Nyeh! I'm ignoring you! See?!".

Oh, so that's why I'm ignoring people? Because their opinions bother me? That's news to me.

It's not like there's no precedent for people putting people they disagree with on ignore and it's not like you don't come across to people as being the kind of person who might do that at times. Not that it bothers me personally or anything - it's your account, your ignore list, your right to your opinion and your right to ignore whoever really, but it seems silly.

Mustawd

I really don’t care if you ignore people. I’m just saying what you were doing was spammy as hell.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
there's a difference between coming into a community and proceeding to put half that community on ignore, and never bothering to enter a community to begin with because they simply do not interest you in any way. This is not particularly sound reasoning.
Ehhhhh. If the Codex is "a community", it's a fractious one. There are subcultures. Among other spectrums, there are game people and GD people and some who fall in between. When an 80% GD person comes into a game thread barking about Hillary ... that person is from a subculture I did not come here to talk to. If a metalhead wants to talk to me about jazz, I'll listen for a few sentences, but if all they really want to talk about is metal, I'm done. Metal doesn't interest me, and I don't think that makes me a bad person.

But you know ... even among the community I do enjoy here ... some people are just idiots. "That post was so bad I feel dumber just reading it" is a real thing. Certainly, a lot of posters are a waste of time, and even skimming their posts to see if maybe this one is worthwhile is a labor of diminishing returns. Is it possible I'll miss a nugget of gold because I didn't shovel 60 tons of gravel? Maybe. But it's equally possible (and frankly more probable) there's a life-changing epiphany you're missing on MLP Forums right now. Go fetch! It might be there!

I don't particularly understand the "time saved" angle when it's as easy as pressing PgDn or mousewheeling past the moment you see a certain name show up.
One mouse click, pressed once, is more efficient than an indeterminate number of PgDn keypresses in the unforeseeable future. I mean ... this is basic UI theory.
(Not to mention a moment of "Who is this? Do I want to read what they wrote?" which could take who knows how much mental effort every time.)

Do you remember the days of CD clubs? After the initial package, they'd mail you a new CD every month. Do nothing, keep the CD, and you'd be billed automatically at the special club price. Didn't like the CD? All you had to do was fill out the enclosed card, place it all in the enclosed mailer and take it to the post office. Some people accepted this plan and were billed a lot of money for CDs they didn't want. Others dutifully took the unwanted CDs to the post office. Still others wrote in and said "these CDs are all crap, take me off your stupid list". Guess which I was.

Whether you choose to use the Ignore list as a kind of "Nyeh! I'm ignoring you! See?!".
I like to think I don't have that kind of "I'm not missing you" attitude. Honestly, I generally only hit the button when I find someone persistently tiresome and try to forget about them, and then the threads I'm reading suddenly become less tiresome. Why on earth would I not do this.

It's not like there's no precedent for people putting people they disagree with on ignore and it's not like you don't come across to people as being the kind of person who might do that at times. Not that it bothers me personally or anything - it's your account, your ignore list, your right to your opinion and your right to ignore whoever really, but it seems silly.
That's all fine. The perception that I might not care to participate in battles I didn't come here for in the first place ... I can live with that as part of my reputation. And thank you for being the first person to respectfully recognize my right to press the buttons that have been put in front of me.

I really don’t care if you ignore people. I’m just saying what you were doing was spammy as hell.
Cool, I just didn't like you mischaracterizing why I use the ignore feature. The spam thing was a direct response to darkpatriot's (and others') silly implication that the ability to scroll past spam and garbage means that spam and garbage should be welcomed on every screen.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
because neckbeard shitlord exists

Neckbeard shitlords are the ones that think ones masculinity and intelligence is somehow dependent on how many internet battles have been "won", and treat their name on an ignore list as an incredibly low energy form of self flattery. That's literally the meme.

edit: I'm on a few ignore lists, and my old accounts were on many more. I only considered a single one of those to be due to "butthurt" (I think it was snorkack). Get over yourselves, jesus christ. It usually doesnt mean shit, except that the person ignoring you thinks that youre an idiot. Half the time I ignored somebody on my old account, it was to watch them idiotically claim some kind of imagined supremacy that nobody else gave a flying fuck about.

I don't know what to say man, that shit just makes me rock hard

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
Well, I was about to say that the nicest thing to do is to ignore every single one of neckbeard's alts. If your theory holds true, then he'd feel very flattered.

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
https://imgur.com/a/SUjEVuk

https://imgur.com/a/BpruhFS
KYa4xhQ

:thumbsup:

edit: Codex as broken as its favorite "classics"

Last edited:

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
All it does is show that you are weak-willed and unable to back up your views. Please stop ignoring people. Thank you.
People who use the ignore feature are such a
Normal person that reading a low quality post will affect their emotion and possibly ruin their day, and are wise enough to realize that, which is why they take full advantage of the feature that allows you to hide such posts.

Swampy_Merkin

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Jacob said
"Normal person that reading a low quality post will affect their emotion and possibly ruin their day"

What the fuck kind of low-bred chin-less tadpole gets their day ruined by a post on a fucking gaming forum?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
I don't ignore anyone. Never even crossed my mind. I don't even ignore Neckbeard Shitlord.

Hell, I'll go one further, I don't even ignore Burning Bridges. Beat that.

I am 100% immune against shitposters and basket cases. Respectively.

:buildawall:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
People use the ignore function because they are weak willed cowards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom