Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Lords of Xulima

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
On a slightly related note, how good is that They are billions game?

Personally I love it. Easily my most played game in 2018. You have to like RTS and/or city building games obviously.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
u no, I discarded the game too quickly after being discouraged by autists ranting about 'ideal' builds.

Always as mistake. Will give it a second try.

Well, I went with what I would call a generic suck-it-and-see party that I made myself and they're currently at level 20 and doing fine after prob around 60+ hours. Playing at normal difficulty, what the game describes as old-school gaming difficulty.

roshan

Arcane
u no, I discarded the game too quickly after being discouraged by autists ranting about 'ideal' builds.

Yeah, the brigade of retarded autists were pumping most of their skill points into a learning skill so they could get more XP instead of investing their points in actual worthwhile skills that could be used to win battles, plus other skills that actually provided badass benefits were dismissed as being useless without any actual gameplay testing which they couldn't do because all their skillpoints were in learning.....

Not to mention dumping the character points of their casters into constitution for marginal benefits to HP when they could have gotten significant mana boosts from another stat... Then bitching about how high level spells were useless because they did not have enough mana to do multiple castings.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

Yeah, the brigade of retarded autists were pumping most of their skill points into a learning skill so they could get more XP instead of investing their points in actual worthwhile skills that could be used to win battles, plus other skills that actually provided badass benefits were dismissed as being useless without any actual gameplay testing which they couldn't do because all their skillpoints were in learning.....

Not to mention dumping the character points of their casters into constitution for marginal benefits to HP when they could have gotten significant mana boosts from another stat... Then bitching about how high level spells were useless because they did not have enough mana to do multiple castings.

Well, in truth full Mana (+speed) build is OK for full mage party. For 1 mage in grp, you would stack HP, go for support role and use mana pots.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I've found most things involving base stats to be relatively obvious and self explanatory, but with plenty of depth for variety of choice.

Certainly, some classes have dedicated stats, to which a pure mage is the character with the least amount of stats to worry about, with a mage you only need to concern yourself with 3 out of the 5, that of constitution, speed and energy. However, even here, with only 2 to choose from at each level-up makes this a good mind-think each time, usually based around recent experiences rather than long-term objectives.

Meanwhile, something like a Battlemage requires all of the stats and for all of the stats to be high, all 5 of them. So I'm more surprised that people got obsessed with specifically the mage class, when that class has the least amount of dilemma requirements. The mage is easily the most no-brainer of the lot IMO.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Hmm. I've discovered a pretty annoying and very obvious bug right at the start. This is playing version 2.1.1.

The Bard's Song of Courage obviously works exactly opposite as intended. It's supposed to make your 'action modifiers' go up - kind of like luck works in D&D I guess. If I don't have it active, and I'm not afflicted by any debuffs, I never get critical misses. As soon as you cast Song of Courage, the critical failures on your party start ramping up. Expect to see about 2-4 of them per combat right at the start with that song active.

As an aside, I thought I could remember this song working outside of combat in an earlier version as well, just like luck affects things outside of combat. Not sure of that though.

I've tried contacting Numantian about this, but registration on their forums is broken as their captcha site no longer works :lol:

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I'm not using a Bard so I'm unaware of this. I haven't encountered any bugs yet afaik, well, aside from one chest in a secret room which refused to acknowledge being in existence, though I did wonder if that was because I'd casted Incinerate Air nearby. Other than that nothing really. I'm currently level 32/33.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
I'm having fun, but holy shit, is this game a savescummer's paradise.

A starting chest can contain anything from 300 gold to a healing salve that you can only use on another character for a tiny amount of HP and a potion that cures bleeding, which is pointless because at that stage because enemies kill you with sheer damage alone. In fact... it seems like you either get da goldz or a minor shit reward. Not much inbetween. Again, savescummers rejoice. Unlocking the thing is also completely random and can use up all your picks or none at all.

A level 1 rat can easily block all the attacks of a starting party in a turn, but goes down in 2 hits at most. Stronger monsters can easily lose the give/ take damage game, but one-shot you on a critical.

Random merchant inventories, fine, par for the course. But the best thing so far... random food prices! :lol: And not just by a small margin. 1 day's worth can be anywhere between ~10 to ~100 gold apparently. And you'll be using up food like crazy.

And the so-called "Ironman" mode still allows for unlimited saves... in towns! :lol: No one needs Celerity's "difficulty mod". Just don't savescum the shit out of the game, and you'll have a hard enough time at the beginning. The beginning, friends. Games fall apart later on anyways. Oh, and maybe just limit yourself to a single saveslot if you want to actually play an ironman game.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I haven't save scummed and I only have 2 save slots, to which slot 2 has only been used when I'm not sure if I'm trapped somewhere with low provisions. I haven't had any kind of near crisis or concern about any of the factors you mention to warrant me particularly noticing the or caring about save scumming. Some chests in the game are random, some aren't, there are some set reward chests around the place. Sure if you have a bum fight and everyone dies, try a reload to see if it was bad rolls, but otherwise just come back later when you've gained a couple more levels. Don't panic if a member of your team dies, that's fine, only a total party wipe gives a game over screen. Gaulen has died over 20 times for me and I tend to find it quite comical when he dies.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Savescumming is useless, you'll get what you want eventually, just visit the relevant shops weekly.

I like the game, good ideas like the herbalism or the giants guarding chests, could be improved though and some castles are annoying (the one with lightning bolts generators everywhere is a real fucking pain).
The bonus xp for clearing an area is nice as well if you want to grind.
Still, battles might be too long, even if i like them, it bores me quite fast and i didn't finish it yet, might have killed 2 or 3 titans, played it for years now.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
I haven't save scummed and I only have 2 save slots, to which slot 2 has only been used when I'm not sure if I'm trapped somewhere with low provisions. I haven't had any kind of near crisis or concern about any of the factors you mention to warrant me particularly noticing the or caring about save scumming.

I don't have any atm either anymore; I'm just sticking to old school difficulty mode. If a developer explicitly states that's the difficulty the game is meant to be played at, that's a pretty strong hint. No real need for savescumming there; it's just that the game is extremely prone to it. In fact, it basically seems to urge you to do it on Hardcore mode. Since monsters are stronger, and 'resurrecting' people costs money - and more than usual too -, training and equipment are more expensive, and treasures potentially smaller (like getting 4 piles of 67 gold pieces from a chest; those would have been like 100 usually), I don't really see a way to get past the beginning there without savescumming. No matter how good you are at finding exploits, there's only so much you can do until level 5.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
No matter how good you are at finding exploits, there's only so much you can do until level 5.

I don't remember the beginnings, i guess it was tough but there is quite a lot of exploits, not sure if they were all patched.
One was keeping gaulen at level 1 in the back so fighting higher level enemies would give a lot of energy to his talisman (and then, of course you can boost your party)

And i'm not sure about savescumming for chests as; unless it was patched; chests level loot is fixed whenever you enter an area (still, you can get different items), so if you enter a mid level area and exit, when you clear it, you'll get shitty useless drop.
So just stick to an area and clear it until you're blocked and follow the storyline.
I don't remember all the tricks i used, at some point, difficulty isn't an obstacle anymore (in between when you can defeat earth giants guarding chests and your first titan)

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
No matter how good you are at finding exploits, there's only so much you can do until level 5.

I don't remember the beginnings, i guess it was tough but there is quite a lot of exploits, not sure if they were all patched.
One was keeping gaulen at level 1 in the back so fighting higher level enemies would give a lot of energy to his talisman (and then, of course you can boost your party)

welp, I'm not playing with the pay2win item. Not really different from savescumming.

And i'm not sure about savescumming for chests as; unless it was patched; chests level loot is fixed whenever you enter an area (still, you can get different items), so if you enter a mid level area and exit, when you clear it, you'll get shitty useless drop.
So just stick to an area and clear it until you're blocked and follow the storyline.

By area you mean transitioning to an off screen location?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
i'm not sure about crypts and dungeons (are they bound to their respective area or not ?) but i mean a new area with an exit and a loading screen.

Edit : Also, as for special chests guards (either you answer to a riddle or you fight), i'm not sure about the best strategy as if you save the fight for later (the giants are beasts until mid game), you get quite a lot of xp and also herbs and if you answer the riddle and get the loot earlier, you get some good loot for your level.

I guess it depends on your immediate needs or the lack of.

and about save scumming, i have nothing against it, i just don't use it when it wastes my time (loading time) or when it's not absolutely necessary because it's a nuisance, for me.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
IncendiaryDevice

r u retadred? Talisman of Golot is still being sold seperately as a DLC on Steam. Literally just that item and nothing more.

And yet all those "hardcore" gamers who find the game too easy are making use of that shit :lol:

:hero:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
i have it, i use it :P

I would play hardcore if the game was worth it, it's good but not good enough, a lot of mistakes were made and could be fixed but will never be, so i play with my talisman and kick titans butts like there's no tomorrow ! :timetoburn:

and by the way, i didn't use the loophole i posted earlier, about keeping the main char level 1, actually, i pretty much wasted a lot of the talisman's energy, at first, until i didn't :P

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
i have it, i use it :P

I would play hardcore if the game was worth it, it's good but not good enough, a lot of mistakes were made and could be fixed but will never be

u no, I just dabbled around a bit with the game soon after it came out, but they definitely changed quite a few things until v. 2.1.1 - and maybe not just for the better.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Minor nitpick:

Just got a reward after a fight that read:

This Golden Wyvern egg is highly prized and rare and likely the most valuable item in the world, or somesuch.

It goes into my inventory... value: 9,000 gold.

At the vendor... value 3,800 gold.

What's 3,800 gold worth? A few days food rations.

RPGs can be so bonkers sometimes. Fucking thing doesn't even pay for 2 of the 20 potions I used to defeat the fucker, LOL.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Minor nitpick:

This Golden Wyvern egg is highly prized and rare and likely the most valuable item in the world, or somesuch.

RPGs can be so bonkers sometimes. Fucking thing doesn't even pay for 2 of the 20 potions I used to defeat the fucker, LOL.

If i remember correctly, there is 2/3 different wyvern eggs giving permanent stat bonuses when you use them on one character ...
I farmed wyvern in their exact spawn spot until the map ran out of monsters (yeah, i'm like that :P )

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Minor nitpick:

If i remember correctly, there is 2/3 different wyvern eggs giving permanent stat bonuses when you use them on one character ...
I farmed wyvern in their exact spawn spot until the map ran out of monsters (yeah, i'm like that :P )

I take it you never defeated the Golden Wyvern then as it's not a stat giving egg, it's a special reward item. I've already emptied the world of the regular wyvern encounters.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
Minor nitpick:

It's actually meant as an offer at an altar.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom