Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do people hate Oblivion so much?

Ash

Arcane
Don't get me wrong, the dungeons (among other things) are very repetitive, objectively. My point was that's just one aspect of a somewhat complex game, complexity most modern/2011 newcomer gamers will not be used to. As babbies first RPG, they simply won't get that the repetition is terrible, because they're distracted by skills, perks, crafting weapons, buying, selling, looting, managing inventory, rising up the ranks in guilds, playing dress up with clothing etc etc.

A repetitive RPG is still a thing to behold for a newcomer. Especially one coming from Gears of War, Uncharted, Asassin's Creed and all that garbo, which themselves are just inferior versions of older games in their respective genres.

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
''And sure, the combat FEELS better in Oblivion. It doesn't make it better, especially as a game trying to be an RPG.''

Well maybe it is only your assumption that it is trying to be a 'RPG'. Seems like you're just trying to create confusion around the word 'better' to avoid conceding.

''You just answered that question yourself. The original developers intended it to be an arena style game. But that isn't what was delivered.''

And how does that matter? The series was born from an attempt at creating an arena game, and it failed. Oblivion finished what it originaly started

''Do you consider The Elder Scrolls that appear in the games to be fanservice?''

Somehow, up to a point. Its almost like a joke or an easter egg, that they decided to show us the actual elder scolls on the 4th title when the other games never really gave a fuck about those scolls.

''That the imperial city has an arena is of no consequence, and was even blatantly put forth in the first game. Would Solitude being built on a cliff constitute fanservice? "By the cliffs of Solitude..." no, its an expected geographical feature''

Thing is, the arena could have simply not been included, or only allow spectating. No one said that they had to acually make it usable by the player. The imperial city also has a market, but you arent allowed to do business in it, yet the game could have had an extra layer of complexity with it. Nobody is ever going to give a shit about a cliff, because it isnt as impressive a game within a game. They even added Arena's cover for the ad posters.

Alkarl

Learned
''And sure, the combat FEELS better in Oblivion. It doesn't make it better, especially as a game trying to be an RPG.''

Well maybe it is only your assumption that it is trying to be a 'RPG'. Seems like you're just trying to create confusion around the word 'better' to avoid conceding.

''You just answered that question yourself. The original developers intended it to be an arena style game. But that isn't what was delivered.''

''Do you consider The Elder Scrolls that appear in the games to be fanservice?''

Somehow, up to a point. Its almost like a joke or an easter egg, that they decided to show us the actual elder scolls on the 4th title when the other games never really gave a fuck about those scolls.

''That the imperial city has an arena is of no consequence, and was even blatantly put forth in the first game. Would Solitude being built on a cliff constitute fanservice? "By the cliffs of Solitude..." no, its an expected geographical feature''

Thing is, the arena could have simply not been included, or only allow spectating. No one said that they had to acually make it usable by the player. The imperial city also has a market, but you arent allowed to do business in it, yet the game could have had an extra layer of complexity with it. Nobody is ever going to give a shit about a cliff, because it isnt as impressive a game within a game. They even added Arena's cover for the ad posters.

You're like a goddamned black-hole of logic.

In a game about smacking dudes with a sword, not including an area that utilizes these mechanics would be moronic. Besides, you CAN do business in the imperial marketplace. Unless you're referring to the ability to open a stall and flog your own merchandise. That would be noteworthy at the very least as it would be a step outside of the normal game loop. An almost immediately pointless step outside.

In this case, an arena is very much like a cliff. We are told they exist, then shown they exist. So what? The poster, sure, a call-back, fanservice if you will, only characterized by the pattern that appears on it and by no other standard.

Nevertheless, you're ignoring the meat of my argument much in the same way you ignored the meat of this game. How do you have fanservice in a game like Oblivion, at all, if every other thing about it is retconned?

This is the nature of your argument at this point:
"Oblivion is great because of a poster that appears in the game that references an earlier game" (that you most certainly have not played) "and because it has an arena that it should have had despite missing the entire regional geography that we were told characterized the region in previous titles" In otherwords, we're lucky they included the arena at all? Cause it adds so much to the game?
:retarded:

Squid

Arbiter
Well maybe it is only your assumption that it is trying to be a 'RPG'.
https://bethesda.net/en/games/EL4GCPPCDENA
Damn, it's like Bethesda themselves don't ever mention role-playing or RPG anywhere on that page!

Seems like you're just trying to create confusion around the word 'better' to avoid conceding.
Not at all. I'm saying just because combat feels better doesn't make it more complex. Complexity is where we started with this and you derailed it. Sorry you can't stay on topic and then act like I'm trying to confuse you. If anyone confused anyone, you confused yourself bud.

Makabb
Have you ever had a conversation with mfkndggrfll ? I am curious what would happen.
I'm all for this, can we have it be like a presidential debate? Where we have a host ask them questions while the rest of us get to watch?

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard

You're like a goddamned black-hole of logic.

In a game about smacking dudes with a sword, not including an area that utilizes these mechanics would be moronic. Besides, you CAN do business in the imperial marketplace. Unless you're referring to the ability to open a stall and flog your own merchandise. That would be noteworthy at the very least as it would be a step outside of the normal game loop. An almost immediately pointless step outside.

In this case, an arena is very much like a cliff. We are told they exist, then shown they exist. So what? The poster, sure, a call-back, fanservice if you will, only characterized by the pattern that appears on it and by no other standard.

Nevertheless, you're ignoring the meat of my argument much in the same way you ignored the meat of this game. How do you have fanservice in a game like Oblivion, at all, if every other thing about it is retconned?

This is the nature of your argument at this point:
"Oblivion is great because of a poster that appears in the game that references an earlier game" (that you most certainly have not played) "and because it has an arena that it should have had despite missing the entire regional geography that we were told characterized the region in previous titles" In otherwords, we're lucky they included the arena at all? Cause it adds so much to the game?
:retarded:

Not including the arena would be moronic yet it is the only TES game that did include it.

''Besides, you CAN do business in the imperial marketplace''

Yeah, you can also pretend that the streets are an arena and fight NPCs. You know that I meant a deeper layer of business, and having that layer wouldnt be pointless at all considering that the game is coming after Daggerfall. It could be a simple thing such as caravan trades like in Fallout.

''In this case, an arena is very much like a cliff.''

No this is a garbage analogy, and you were the one rambling about a 'black hole of logic'. The arena is more fleshed out, you can gain ranks in it and become champion.

''How do you have fanservice in a game like Oblivion, at all, if every other thing about it is retconned?''

By having a blatant reference to a previous title of the series? Seems to be a pretty simple concept, why cant you understand it? Its not just a poster its the whole thing. The poster by itself is a separate instance of fan service because its Arena's cover. Its more than fan service, its a glorious homage. The arena is one of the many cherries laying on the sundae.

Squadcar Can you develop on how Morrowind's combat is more complex than Oblivion's and how it positively affect the game experience?

Last edited:

Alkarl

Learned
You're too fucking stupid. Who reminds you to breathe? Jesus Christ.

Alkarl

Learned
Squadcar Can you develop on how Morrowind's combat is more complex than Oblivion's and how it positively affect the game experience?

Just an fyi, he doesn't really care what you're about to say, but he'll be able to respond with something he's already said. As if repeating the same thing enough somehow makes it true.

Squid

Arbiter

Just an fyi, he doesn't really care what you're about to say, but he'll be able to respond with something he's already said. As if repeating the same thing enough somehow makes it true.
I didn't even see that in his post to be honest. I stopped right before it. And I'm well aware he doesn't care. And if I'm not mistaken nowhere did I defend Morrowind's combat system? Also, once again, if I'm not mistake we were supposed to be arguing about complexity but this keeps going off trail on his side but it's because I don't want to concede to his points and I try to confuse him too much.

Okagron

Prophet
There's no point of arguing with this idiot about Morrowind's combat because he didn't even knew the basic about doing different attacks depending on which direction you swipe the mouse. This moron just noticed that a lot of Morrowind fans don't like Oblivion and got triggered that they don't like it and decided to go on this nonsensical crusade.

Ash

Arcane
There is a cheat code in Turok 2 (1998):

"bewareoblivionisathand"

They tried to warn us, but we didn't listen. And what followed? Dumbed down successes. The birth of DLC (horse armor).

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
There's no point of arguing with this idiot about Morrowind's combat because he didn't even knew the basic about doing different attacks depending on which direction you swipe the mouse. This moron just noticed that a lot of Morrowind fans don't like Oblivion and got triggered that they don't like it and decided to go on this nonsensical crusade.

The extra attacks dont really matter, you're better off standing still so you dont risk missing a hit and giving the enemy free attacks. Overall the game could have 8, or 12 directional attacks and the combat would still suck.

Like I said in the OP its not just a matter of people disliking the game, theres a whole culture around hating Oblivion, to the point where people use the word Oblivion instead of 'shit', i.e. this game is even worse than Oblivion. Its like if people started insulting each other by saying things like 'You're even dumber than Einstein'

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

When you think about it Oblivion is pretty damn close to being the best TES game. Just the fanservice it did with the arena faction is a reason to rank it first. The game integrated what the original TES game was meant to be inside a much bigger game. The thief guild's questline alone is worthy of a Thief game. The Dark Brotherhood's questline could also be its own game. It also is a good walking simulator, and includes a lockpicking simulation minigame, alchemist minigame, dating sim minigame... Its like multiple games into one.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Like I said in the OP its not just a matter of people disliking the game, theres a whole culture around hating Oblivion, to the point where people use the word Oblivion instead of 'shit', i.e. this game is even worse than Oblivion. Its like if people started insulting each other by saying things like 'You're even dumber than Einstein'

Oblivion is a big neon symbol of the dumbing down for the mass-market Xbawks 360 dollar. It was an early and perfect example of a deeper, PC focused franchise/game style being turned into a console focused mainstream game. That's a big reason why it is used as shorthand for an era and problem that drove us all nuts at the time. It's like using McDonalds or Applebees as an example for shitty corporate fast food taking over.

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard

Oblivion is a big neon symbol of the dumbing down for the mass-market Xbawks 360 dollar. It was an early and perfect example of a deeper, PC focused franchise/game style being turned into a console focused mainstream game. That's a big reason why it is used as shorthand for an era and problem that drove us all nuts at the time. It's like using McDonalds or Applebees as an example for shitty corporate fast food taking over.

From your narrow-minded perspectives maybe. As a matter of fact Morrowind is the mark of decline in the series, you just arent a fan of the ES games.

Alkarl

Learned
From your narrow-minded perspectives maybe. As a matter of fact Morrowind is the mark of decline in the series, you just arent a fan of the ES games.

Right. If that had been all you posted in this thread, I actually know some people around here that would have given this to you.

How can Morrowind be the most declined entry, when as you say, it is the beginning of the series decline if, just follow me here ok, if Oblivion comes after Morrowind. Oblivion would be more declined, using that logic, right? That's how chronological progression works. Surely you know this. Right?

Okagron

Prophet
This game also brought the cancer in gaming known as essential npcs that can't die. This is a thing that needs to burn in the deepest pits of hell.

Last edited:

Squid

Arbiter
Damn, mfkndggrlll you could at least try to be as entertaining as Makabb.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom