Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best games 95-2003

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
You're such a little faggot. Stop quoting me in your stupid posts. What you're doing is the equivalent of saying "There ARE RPGs: Fallout 4, Dragon Age: Inquisition, The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim and Final Fantasy 15. SEE! Something for everyone including old school RPG fans.". That's exactly my point. If a game is shite it doesn't count, of course not. Nobody here wants to subject themselves to shit. Furthermore the whole basis of this argument was a game's quality or lacktherof, see:
You stupid fucking niggermonkey. If all you look for is AAA releases of course you won't find anything good, try looking out for new releases instead of deeming it all shit and popamole or whatever else pretend highbrow faggotry you feel like doing. All of your fucking posts on this site are just about you jacking yourself off to how 'good' your taste is and having an automatic old = good, new = shit train of thought in some form of autistic pessimism.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
This is too much of a general statement, some genres like 4X, city building, management, sandbox, platformers are having a really big revival on steam and are selling like hot cakes but if you notice something in common to all those games is that they are really cheap to make.

A game like Frostpunk or They are Billions cost a fraction of a Pillars of Eternity, to sell the same amount of copies.

Everyone here seems to be focusing on Pillars' sales figures while ignoring the massive success of titles like Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2. My point was that digital distribution and the acceptance of variable graphics levels has created a market where any great game can be made and succeed if it hits the right market. That doesn't mean you're promised success if you make a decent platformer of course, or that every Pillars type game is going to light the Codex on fire, but it DOES mean the potential is there and there's plenty of games being made to interest everyone. You mention how FPS games aren't really seeing this yet but I'd throw Dusk, Ion Maiden and Duke 3D's new campaign out there as evidence the contrary. It's not OMG EVERYWHERE yet, but it's early.

Anyway it's always been true that people saying "EVERYTHING TODAY IS SHIT!!!" and "I HAVEN'T SEEN A GOOD GAME SINCE 2002!!!" were try-hard edge-lords. That was true even in 2008 when literally 95% of games were Xbox 360 shit ports. There were still enjoyable games releases here and there back then, and there's a fuck-ton more of them now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom