Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

Hyperion

Arcane
how do you know the content that will come later isn't much more difficult than where you are now?
Because nothing in PoE is difficult, except for like 2 bosses. And it's all gated behind medieval RNG.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I loved PoE at first, I guess because it was the first interesting Diablo clone to come out. But I dunno, unless you are addicted and playing constantly, the game never seems to end because they keep adding new acts etc. Yes, it's dumb to complain about free new content, but still, I've been playing the same character on and off since the game was released (whenever I have time), and now I have no idea whatsoever how far along I am.

Possibly as a side effect of constant wave of content is the fact that I am nowhere near the end and my character is pretty much immortal. I mean, I would literally have to run into a crowd of monsters and leave the room for 15 mins. for my character to die at this point. It just seems mindless at this point, I'm running back and forth through massive rooms painting the map while holding down my special attack button the minute an enemy shows up on screen.

I would start over with a melee class to see if it is more interesting, but I can't imagine going through all these areas a second time.
Content before end game is designed to be super easy. Once you reach maps, if you don't have a good build prepare to die often.

newtmonkey

Arcane
taviow
It's a good point, but the last half dozen areas have been like this. I can't rule out a sudden difficulty spike, of course, but the game is a huge slog at this point.

ArchAngel
Thanks for the info. I guess that is to be expected for these types of games, but I dunno if I am willing to get to postgame/endgame content as it is.

ArchAngel

Arcane
taviow
It's a good point, but the last half dozen areas have been like this. I can't rule out a sudden difficulty spike, of course, but the game is a huge slog at this point.

ArchAngel
Thanks for the info. I guess that is to be expected for these types of games, but I dunno if I am willing to get to postgame/endgame content as it is.
They kind of designed it to be 10 acts of "tutorial" with only some boss fights being a bit harder. But that is how I remember my Diablo 2 as well, very little outside bosses posed any kind of challenge.

Perkel

Arcane
I never played PoE so I don't know how it works, but how do you know the content that will come later isn't much more difficult than where you are now?

It is way harder. There aren't any builds that can steamroll end game content.

And it is one of my problems with POE. Developers think that META on forums is what game is, so if you want to play normally aka play yourself create your own build as you go you pretty much end up with character that can't progress above Tier 5-8 maps.
Even if you play softcore you need shitload of life nodes just to survive.

This problem is also connected to second POE issue. Monster Pack sizes, when they increased those packs few years ago all strategy went out of window along with single target melee skills. I love POE for character building but end game is trully fucked and you either clear maps like nothing or you struggle just to survive because you can't effectively strategize when you have to kill 1000 mobs on map.

Let us not forget also that each POE expansion is just power creep. I mean you can literally get one handed weapons with two super power full auras that normally would require you 100% mana investement (50% each). Power level went through the roof and developers seems fine with it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I never played PoE so I don't know how it works, but how do you know the content that will come later isn't much more difficult than where you are now?

It is way harder. There aren't any builds that can steamroll end game content.

And it is one of my problems with POE. Developers think that META on forums is what game is, so if you want to play normally aka play yourself create your own build as you go you pretty much end up with character that can't progress above Tier 5-8 maps.
Even if you play softcore you need shitload of life nodes just to survive.

This problem is also connected to second POE issue. Monster Pack sizes, when they increased those packs few years ago all strategy went out of window along with single target melee skills. I love POE for character building but end game is trully fucked and you either clear maps like nothing or you struggle just to survive because you can't effectively strategize when you have to kill 1000 mobs on map.

Let us not forget also that each POE expansion is just power creep. I mean you can literally get one handed weapons with two super power full auras that normally would require you 100% mana investement (50% each). Power level went through the roof and developers seems fine with it.
They countered the power level by making enemies do even more damage :D

It has certainly made me start making much more tankier builds, even while playing on softcore.

razvedchiki

Erudite
can we talk about grim dawn in the grim dawn thread?thank you.

i played some version of it some years ago and decided to give it a spin again,any good rifle/grenades build?

Sykar

Arcane
I loved PoE at first, I guess because it was the first interesting Diablo clone to come out. But I dunno, unless you are addicted and playing constantly, the game never seems to end because they keep adding new acts etc. Yes, it's dumb to complain about free new content, but still, I've been playing the same character on and off since the game was released (whenever I have time), and now I have no idea whatsoever how far along I am.

Possibly as a side effect of constant wave of content is the fact that I am nowhere near the end and my character is pretty much immortal. I mean, I would literally have to run into a crowd of monsters and leave the room for 15 mins. for my character to die at this point. It just seems mindless at this point, I'm running back and forth through massive rooms painting the map while holding down my special attack button the minute an enemy shows up on screen.

I would start over with a melee class to see if it is more interesting, but I can't imagine going through all these areas a second time.
Content before end game is designed to be super easy. Once you reach maps, if you don't have a good build prepare to die often.

Uh, no. Low tier and mid tier maps are piss easy and are more of a gear test than anything else.

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
It really is piss easy lol. youre forced to grind for hours just to get to endgame, then once youre finally there, SURPRISE: More piss easy grinding!

Emmanuel2

Savant

i played some version of it some years ago and decided to give it a spin again,any good rifle/grenades build?

I had a rifle build finish crucible gladiator, no nades since they're pretty meh for clearing like alot of the other skills.

Link to skill build. Use Valdun's set along with filling resists and utility for everything else. With the right setup, you can go up to 10k HP without perfect greens, some good DA and 3k+ OA without counting devotions. Always have backup points for dumping into spirit so that you can meet requirements and physique is arguably the best stat in the game since you need that for armor, precious DA and health, so pour the left over points from meeting spirit requirements into it.

Edit: I forgot to quote the guy asking for the build.

ArchAngel

Arcane
This is terrible fucking game design if true.
Not really, they try to hook players into end game, main story content is just so you can learn the basics. And if a players is willing to learn and research a bit most builds can me fixed into something useful even if not great.

If main story content was very hard people would feel great accomplishment by finishing it and might not care to play endgame that is almost endless for average players. And that means less money for GGG.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Both IPs with the acronym PoE are a bit garbage-y. The hack and slash one is distilled MMO grinding with nothing else going for it, but, I assume, also pressure to keep up with everyone else, so the grinding becomes mandatory. Wrist-slitting design, in other words.

razvedchiki

Erudite
for me the problem with POE is its ever changing meta,i usually play for a month or so come back after 3-4 months and suddenly my build was nerfed and a crap load of features added.it took me like 2 years to understand that armor counted only against white mobs.

Gregz

Arcane

I had a rifle build finish crucible gladiator, no nades since they're pretty meh for clearing like alot of the other skills.

Link to skill build. Use Valdun's set along with filling resists and utility for everything else. With the right setup, you can go up to 10k HP without perfect greens, some good DA and 3k+ OA without counting devotions. Always have backup points for dumping into spirit so that you can meet requirements and physique is arguably the best stat in the game since you need that for armor, precious DA and health, so pour the left over points from meeting spirit requirements into it.

Edit: I forgot to quote the guy asking for the build.

Crucible pissed me off, badly. I had a fun dual-pistol purifier that could solo-run bosses just fine, but the design of the crucible dismantled my build's feasibility. I think many fun builds were made obsolete by the crucible, which is extremely frustrating when you're trying to use it to farm end-game legendaries.

Okagron

Prophet
One thing i love about Grim Dawn is that it doesn't have seasons. I can just play the game at any time and not be forced to play at specific points just to keep up with the game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
You aren't forced to play Crucible. Its very design precludes a lot of builds from effectively going through it. That doesn't mean they are obsolete, though.

Last edited:

deama

Prophet
for me the problem with POE is its ever changing meta,i usually play for a month or so come back after 3-4 months and suddenly my build was nerfed and a crap load of features added.it took me like 2 years to understand that armor counted only against white mobs.
What? Armour mitigates all physical damage, doesn't matter what mob type!

Emmanuel2

Savant
Crucible pissed me off, badly. I had a fun dual-pistol purifier that could solo-run bosses just fine, but the design of the crucible dismantled my build's feasibility. I think many fun builds were made obsolete by the crucible, which is extremely frustrating when you're trying to use it to farm end-game legendaries.

This is the case for alot of builds. As Lacrymas has pointed out, noone is required to finish crucible (or any of the postgame/challenge stuff for that matter).

Crucible 150+ or being able to kill Ultimate Superbosses/10-20 second nemesis kills are just my, albeit silly, basis for what is good or not. As a lot of builds can solo bosses nowadays (not being a hipster and all but Beta 27 was the hardest the game could ever be and had alot of backlash for walling alot of builds), but not in 5 seconds.

Which is one of the many things I like about Grim Dawn, it can be played by just about any build theme that you find "fun", take it to ultimate and maybe have a difficulty spike or two but nothing unmanageable. Then you have the people who truly wish to push the game. There are no real barriers to experience the entirety of the content as it's perfectly fine to not ever kill the superbosses, speed kill nemesis or clear crucible and you'll still be able to feel that you've done most of everything and shelf the game.

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
Something I almost never say (since im a content junkie), but does apply to Grim Dawn imo, is that the game is actually too fucking large. Or too large with not enough variety, rather. I never got past the third act. After running over those large ass field maps for 3 hours straight, I just lost interest. This is compounded by the fact that grim dawn builds tend to be light on active abilities, making it feel like a slog.

Its still my favorite ARPG apart from diablo 1 though.

Hyperion

Arcane
The game hits a bit of a low point right around the fields area, but you gotta know what to explore, and what not - clearing every inch of the map is gonna burn you out for sure. The Dynamite path that leads to Tyrant's Hold is honestly one of my favorite parts of the game. Just nonstop barrages of Heroes and Bosses. And the dude to trade in Crafting materials for Legendaries on upper difficulties to boot, so repeating the run is worthwhile.

The Dermapteran Hive is awesome though, especially if you're using Grimmest Mod. Monster density is unreal, nearly every pixel is covered with enemies. Probably still less than TQ using XMAX, but still good.

Biggest complaint is the "secondary" resists are probably more important than the "primary" ones, especially once you hit Fort Ikon. Just nonstop Chaos, Poison, and Aether (in AoM) damage, and if you don't have 50+ resists on Normal, and capped for Elite / Legendary, you're gonna get chunked. Hard.

Sykar

Arcane
What? Armour mitigates all physical damage, doesn't matter what mob type!

What he meant probably is that armor ironically works a lot less well against higher amounts of damage. It is pretty idiotic that your armor works at full value against trash where it does not matter much while it works usually at a much reduced effectiveness against elites and bosses where it actually counts. You can stack armor high enough to compensate but the concept is still pretty retarded.

this is my favorite game of this type. The mood and atmosphere and sound and art direction are very good IMO. Its the only game of this type I have ever played again after beating it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom