Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

imweasel

"GAM TU HARD. WHY DO GAM NOT PLAY ITSELF?"

Every fucking negative review... :roll:

Didn't PB add a super easy mode AKA casual mode for Bethestards? Or is the game just still too hard in casual mode too?

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Modern gamers are used to ramping up difficulties because everything under the hardest or second hardest is generally really easy, while PB games are like games used to be, where easy is easy, medium will mean you'll have to play smart and grasp the game decently to succeed and hard means you'll have to git gud and is generally reserved for second playthroughs. Heard many of the same complaints with The Technomancer, and that game wasn't even that hard. The combat just needed some good reactions and you just had to utilize your dodge. I think the primary difference is that in Elex you still deal basically zero damage unless you get good gear, even on the easiest difficulty.

Yosharian

Arcane
Honestly, to be fair to the people having trouble with the game, it doesn't explain the systems very well. I'm not the most observant player, I'll admit, but it took me bashing my head against the brick wall of Nasty's quest repeatedly (like, an hour) before I actually realised that I had to time my attacks in order to do actual damage to my target. I think this game has a good amount of depth in its combat but it doesn't do a great job of explaining it to the player.

Also, I don't think the game's other systems gel really well. The way you can simply down Elex potions like crazy and your character still says 'I'm not Jax anymore'. The way you can basically steal everything so easily, even pickpocketing is piss-easy and requires no skill. A lot of the game is so half-baked, but what it does well, it does so well that it's still really fun and compulsive to play. I'm having more fun with Elex than I have had with any other RPGs in recent memory, and that's quite impressive.

It's one of these weird games that doesn't present well but it has some really cool hidden depths, and you have to put the time in to really appreciate it.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Yeah, you have a point that it doesn't do the best job on it. I think PB think that everyone who plays the game is already familiar with the general PB fare. Elex is really an example of them trying to do another grand scale world and it having to be half baked to meet launch date and not go bankrupt. I think Elex was Elexccelent but at the same time, most of the things that were half baked are things that aren't really detrimental to the whole experience.
I think all we can do for now is hope for Elex 2 or maybe, just maybe, Gothic 4 which they will probably announce next year or the year after that, since PB generally follows a 2-3 year development schedule. I just hope that they sold enough copies to make the game even better than Elex, which I find totally possible if you add up Steam, GOG, PS4 and Xbox One sales. Couldn't have done any worse than Pinos of Eternal 2.

Also what the fuck, you're like the third or fourth person with that avatar.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
but it took me bashing my head against the brick wall of Nasty's quest repeatedly (like, an hour) before I actually realised that I had to time my attacks in order to do actual damage to my target. I think this game has a good amount of depth in its combat but it doesn't do a great job of explaining it to the player.
Run around like rabbit, and try to evade enemies while Nasty's bodyguards would shot enemies to pieces, and perhaps even survive?
Or the other one when when Nasty goes down, you took out flamethrower?

Also, I don't think the game's other systems gel really well. The way you can simply down Elex potions like crazy and your character still says 'I'm not Jax anymore'. The way you can basically steal everything so easily, even pickpocketing is piss-easy and requires no skill.
Natural ELEX increases cold, potions are designed to not increase cold so much. And when you are doing ironman, pickpocketing is always quite harsh. With no reload you need to think if you do that, or not.

Yosharian

Arcane
but it took me bashing my head against the brick wall of Nasty's quest repeatedly (like, an hour) before I actually realised that I had to time my attacks in order to do actual damage to my target. I think this game has a good amount of depth in its combat but it doesn't do a great job of explaining it to the player.
Run around like rabbit, and try to evade enemies while Nasty's bodyguards would shot enemies to pieces, and perhaps even survive?
Or the other one when when Nasty goes down, you took out flamethrower?

Also, I don't think the game's other systems gel really well. The way you can simply down Elex potions like crazy and your character still says 'I'm not Jax anymore'. The way you can basically steal everything so easily, even pickpocketing is piss-easy and requires no skill.
Natural ELEX increases cold, potions are designed to not increase cold so much. And when you are doing ironman, pickpocketing is always quite harsh. With no reload you need to think if you do that, or not.
Oh no, not the insect one, that's piss easy cos the NPCs do all the work.

I managed to glitch one of the lizard fuckers, then El Gigantor got aggroed away from me when Nasty got back up, so I was able to take out one of the lizards, then I managed to draw the other one out, then I just threw fireballs at El Cockmuncho til he dropped like a sack of shit.

Then I found out I need to complete another higher-level mission before I can get into Nasty's pants recruit her :argh:

Doktor Best

Arcane
"GAM TU HARD. WHY DO GAM NOT PLAY ITSELF?"

Every fucking negative review... :roll:

Didn't PB add a super easy mode AKA casual mode for Bethestards? Or is the game just still too hard in casual mode too?

The thing is, retards dont want to be reminded that they are retarded because they already get that feedback an awful fucking lot in real life and they dont know what to make of it. So when you make a game that labels easy difficulty correctly as easy difficulty, they will get this all too common feeling again of not being up to the task at hand. Confusion sets in, turns into rage, negative rating on steam ensues.

I mean they beat Skyrim on legendary man. On LEGENDARY you hear me? And now they get assraped by Elex on easy???

Meanwhile in Skyrim on Legendary:

Two guards. You go stealth mode. Both of them turn into Ray Charles instantly. You "stealth" up to them to 3 meters distance, aim your bow, shoot, one guard's head explodes.
"Huh?! Must have been the wind"

Todd Howard knows how to sell his poison.

typical user

Arbiter
Can someone give me a TL;DR on last 200 pages if the game is Risen 1 good or Risen 2, 3 mediocre? Does Elex have an interesting plot, good side-quests and characters? Is exploring rewarding and enjoyable?

I played Gothic 2, so wood-arts is well known combat style for me, I am not afraid to experience the next-gen version of it.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Read rathamster's review. It's pretty good, the setting and plot are more interesting than the generic fantasy of Gothic 2. The side quests vary, but I'd say they're as good as they usually are with PB games. I wouldn't ever say that PB games fail in that department. Characters are pretty fine, don't expect DEEPEST WRITING or absurd amounts of black trannies like in Obsidian games or some shit. Exploring is a really strong aspect and there's plenty of memorable locations, as usual with all PB games other than Risen 2, you are put into the world and after a short tutorial you are free to go wherever you feel like.

Yosharian

Arcane
Can someone give me a TL;DR on last 200 pages if the game is Risen 1 good or Risen 2, 3 mediocre? Does Elex have an interesting plot, good side-quests and characters? Is exploring rewarding and enjoyable?

I played Gothic 2, so wood-arts is well known combat style for me, I am not afraid to experience the next-gen version of it.
I'm not that far in but I will say there have been many quests where there's quite a bit of choice in how you complete them. There's also a lot of standard fetch quests, but somehow they don't seem that bad compared to other games.

The game just 'feels' good. Like, after completing a quest, the boss dude ordered some peeps to go clear this area, and they actually went there, and i could follow them, and loot the corpses.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Best Gothic-like game since Gothic 2, go get it!

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Read rathamster's review. It's pretty good, the setting and plot are more interesting than the generic fantasy of Gothic 2. The side quests vary, but I'd say they're as good as they usually are with PB games. I wouldn't ever say that PB games fail in that department. Characters are pretty fine, don't expect DEEPEST WRITING or absurd amounts of black trannies like in Obsidian games or some shit. Exploring is a really strong aspect and there's plenty of memorable locations, as usual with all PB games other than Risen 2, you are put into the world and after a short tutorial you are free to go wherever you feel like.

Pretty much this. About exploring being rewarding - yeah, kindda. But PB shat the bed again with chests and safes. Don't remember how the rewards were like in their older games but in Risen 2 and 3 they were horrid. In Risen 2 getting lockpicking to lvl 3 was no easy task but lvl 3 locked chests were no more special than lvl 1 ones. Elex' chests are similarly fucked up. It's as if PB doesn't understand the fundamental concept of the effort/reward ratio.

Also you can find legendary weapons in the world but again, there is a legendary dmg 30 axe in a late game area full of Molochs and Trolls and you can also find the Redeemer, the second best weapon, in a relatively easy area. Altho maybe the problem is there aren't really "areas" in Elex, enemies seem scattered mostly randomly around the world which isn't ideal.

Oh and the photo pieces puzzle? You pretty much have to explore every nook and cranny to hunt down those 16 or so pieces and in the end you get 500 Elexit and a useless cold protection Amulet. Sigh.

waterdeep

Learned
I have killed 3 berserkers so far and stolen so much shit, only had to pay 150 shards as a "fine". So much for the laws.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Crime systems were always busted in PB games. At least they can hopefully fix it with Elex 2 since they have a base to build upon, though.

Crime systems were always busted in PB games.

PB games didn't need criminal justice systems.

Level 1: Camp bully beats the stuffing out of you, takes all your gold.

30 hours o' some random adventurin' ...

Level 30: Ride back into camp atop a sled of 30 orcs, dual wielding 2 dragons and driving multiple migrations of shadowbeasts and trolls ahead of you... Approach said bully. "Say, bud, you wanted my gold, eh?"

typical user

Arbiter
Crime systems were always busted in PB games.

PB games didn't need criminal justice systems.

Level 1: Camp bully beats the stuffing out of you, takes all your gold.

30 hours o' some random adventurin' ...

Level 30: Ride back into camp atop a sled of 30 orcs, dual wielding 2 dragons and driving multiple migrations of shadowbeasts and trolls ahead of you... Approach said bully. "Say, bud, you wanted my gold, eh?"

Sentenza disapproves.

T. Reich

Arcane
If you are smart, your hunting skill is at III, which means that with every kill you make a good bunch of Elex (sometimes literally).

So go out and KILL.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Anyway my next run will be a full-on hippie Berzerk emoshunal one, trying to go for a human ending, whatever that might be. It'll also give me a chance to go melee bc playing the game like Mass Effect doesn't feel right, it's just isn't built like a 3rd person shooter.

Yeah, well, Cleric melee FTW!
Smash enemies with style and your huge hammer!
Sure, One with the Gun with a high damage weapon might be OP (Berserkers get a similar ability for melee), but the rest of Cleric abilities is perfectly usable with melee and I'd argue that playing the game that way is much more fun. You're basically immortal, but don't melt enemies just by looking their way.

waterdeep

Learned
Why the fuck are there story spoilers in the loading screen?
It straight up said that Jax was shot by his brother. What the fuck PB

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom